Miller Ampwerks - Anyone played?

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
One of my finds at the LA Amp show a few weeks back.
been meaning to start a thread.

Got to the show early, sat in the lobby BSing with MacDaddy and this nice guy named Matt, shot the **** for awhile and asked who he was with, mentioned his own amp line Miller Ampwerks.

Really down to earth and cool guy, so I made sure to go check out his amps. He was there with The Guitar Store..James...another great dude, sounds like he's got a cool shop up there in Seattle.

Anyrate, Sat down and played a few thigns with a G&L and an Asher T style..(Killer axe).

He had a few things, one was a 6V6 powered AC influenced design, I'm a sucker for 6V6's and 'voxy' flavor. Most builders don't get that you can get them to chime if you do it right...matt gets it. That amp was sweet.

He also had a JTM50 esque amp with some tweeks. Killer amp, very in the bass spec marshall ballpark without the flub.

The one that really flipped me out thopugh, was the the 'Pine Street'.
a little blue 2x10 combo.

I plugged in and instantly knew we had a common love of brown fender and 10's. Totally had that vibroverb (brown)/ deluxe vibe, but with a way more versatile EQ section, and just a fabulous tremolo.

Rolled back it had some lucious cleans, and cranked it had that killer brown sizzle with a little something else going on ther..not sure but it sure sounded sweet. had some familiar pedals with him as well, and the amp interacted with them fabulously.

Anyone playing one of these? It's fairly rare I'm still thinking about an amp a few weeks later...

http://millerampwerks.com/?page_id=57

The one I tried had celestion greenback 10's so he must be trying some other speaker stuff.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Ignore that paragraph. I'll get you back at 'brown fender' LOL

No affiliation in any way or anything, was just really impressed with them at the show.

zwolf

Haven't played his amps, but he's done work for me including hand wiring my '59 bassman LTD. Great guy who does meticulous work. He's the real deal!

phydauex

Hey Fellas,
Just wanted to "Chime" in here (sorry, couldn't stop myself) with some more info. Your right Mike, I've been wanting to change the speakers I used in the Pine St. and Cliff at Destroy All... suggested I use the Celestions. I got a set just prior to boxing everything up to send to LA, so hadn't really had a chance to play with them much. Mainly fired them up to make sure they worked, then in the box it went. I'm glad that amp made an impression, and I'm super glad I got those speakers in there. The Falcons were initially used, because they were decent and inexpensive and that was part of the design of that amp, nothing exotic. The Greenback 10's however are superior in everyway.

It was a treat getting to meet some of ya'll before things got crazy.

Thanks for the kind words.
Matt

kingink

Haven't played the amps but they sound killer in the demos. And I go to Puddletown fairly often....

Trending Topics