MIM '50s Classic pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by neils, May 3, 2015.

1. neils

neils Member

So a few weeks ago I got this used MIM 50s Classic (not Classic Player). The pickups are no name in particular "Alnico" pickups. They measure 5.7, 5.9, 6.0.

When I put on the new strings I pulled the guard. Ugh, mini pots. Hate them.

But I gotta say. It sounds exactly like I want a Strat to sound. Killer neck, nice middle, and OK I never like Strat bridges but the 2 and 4 positions are perfect. So 4 out of 5 tones are winners.

How many of us/you get a MIM guitar or an import and even though it sounds right just change **** cause you've got to? A friend has a Squire Tele. Of all the Tele's he owns it sounds the most like a Tele to him and me. His argument to change for change sake is a sound one "but it sounds great". It's way more Tele than his Baja.

I have my eye on a loaded pick guard so reversal is quick and easy.

Neil

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If you like the pickups, keep them. I would spend a few dollars on pots, CRL switch, Orange Drop cap, Switchcraft jack and wire it up Jimmie Vaughan style.

Fender JV wiring link http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10002/013-9202A_SISD.pdf

This wiring puts the 2nd tone control on the bridge, making it useful. IMO, traditional Strat wiring is one place Leo did not get it right the first time. Huge difference.

Enjoy the new Strat!

EDIT: I've used a .047 cap when using the JV wiring.

3. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I'm surprised a MIM has mini pots. I've only heard of them in Asian built Fenders.

Congrats, those are nice Strats for reasonable coin. Was a nice one for $400 on my local CL (maybe still South NJ). If I needed one I'd consider the 50s.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

The early (late 90's/early 00's) MIM 50's classic series were nice sounding guitars. The usual complaint about them was the neck, primarily the fret/radius size and the sticky feel.

5. neils

neils Member

Funny. To me the neck is ideal. I had a 75 Strat for 30 years. This neck is better. The whole guitar is better.
    I had the tone pot on the bridge pup on that 75 the last few years I had it. That works.

Neil

6. neils

neils Member

I paid $350 at GC. Stupid good deal.

Neil

7. c_mac

c_mac Member

I've had a handful of Classic Series Fender guitars. None of them had mini pots.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I've got a '63 Strat so the neck on the 50's Classic felt fine to me too. People who were more used to a flatter radius had a problem with it.

The "sticky" thing was probably from it being new. Time and use has most likely cleared this up by now.