1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIM Fender or....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by smoothsteve87, Dec 24, 2009.

1. smoothsteve87

smoothsteve87 Member

Hey guys.

I know you must be tired of post like this, but I have never played any of these guitars.

I am looking to get a strat and was wondering how the MIM Fender Strats are. I am also looking at Xaviere Strat copies and where wondering if they where even comparable to the MIM fenders.

2. monty

monty Member

MIM are fine guitars. Look for a post '06.

3. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

4. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Well, I've had mine since '95 and I love it.

5. vparikh

vparikh Member

MIMs are awsome guitars - just make sure you have it setup properly. I own an American and a MIM, and to be honest they both are great. After setup, I could hardly tell the difference. As the old adage around here goes:

Do you want a Strat made by Mexicans in America or a Strat made by Mexicans in Mexico? :rockin

6. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

You may also want to check out the Squire Classic Vibe series Strats....great guitars for cheaper than a MIM, but they sound better to my ears.

7. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

They're fine if you like skinny necks. I don't.

8. monty

monty Member

Good ones pre-06 too.
    They just upped it a notch since then.

9. Marble

Marble Member

I got mine in '03 and its been fantastic. My guitar foil is mainly a Strat guy and between his mid-late '90s MIM and his USA '60th anniversary (2006 I believe), he prefers his MIM. He just got another Strat for X-mas today, I think its a late-90s early-00s USA with white Lace Sensors and I know for a fact that one is really nice too.

I think he put standard pickups from a USA Strat in his MIM, and its fantastic. In fact his USA 60th strat needed a new bridge because the one from the factory was majorly messed up- he had to buy an aftermarket one too because Fender took so many months to get it out to him.

10. Bro Blue

Bro Blue Member

The post '06 models are very very good. The earlier MIMs aren't shabby, especially as a modding platform. The Xaviere's aren't bad for the money, but not on par even with the older MIMs.