MIM Fender P bass upgrade for Squier bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by murraythek, May 16, 2015.

1. murraythek

murraythek Member

I have a shot at a good price ($100) on a MIM neck for my Squier P bass. Is a MIM neck a good upgrade to the Squier neck?

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Sometimes yes, sometimes no - if the neck is straight, the fretwork good, and the trussrod works, it's easily worth $100 - moreso if it has tuners and a strings tree... If it's a nice neck, for $100 it could be the start of a nice bass build...

- georgestrings

3. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Maybe it is worth $100 for you to have a Fender logo on the headstock instead of Squier. The quality of the neck itself is probably not much different. What's wrong with your current neck, other than the headstock decal?

4. murraythek

murraythek Member

The frets on my current neck have always had a rough feel and wear out quickly. I have tried polishing to no avail.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

It may be more than just the decal - I've played Squiers that were the equal of any MIM Fender, and I've played some Squier Affinitys that were absolute junk... I actually had a MIM Squier "by Fender" that had a great neck, and I gigged a pair of MIK Squiers for about 10 years that made me alot of money...

- georgestrings

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Depends on the Squier. The MIJ, later MIK and current VM or CV Squiers are great. The Standards and lower are very hit and miss.
    $100 for a MIM neck is a pretty good deal, though.