MIM Nashville Telecaster opinions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lt_Core, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I played a 2007 Nashville Telecaster MIM yesterday at our local guitar store. I was actually impressed with it. Medium jumbo frets, Tex-Mex pickups, etc. Actually got a couple of Strat-type sounds out of it. It was $599 but I have some gear to trade-in and thought it might be an interesting guitar. What do you all think of this guitar? I used to have a Highway 1 Telecaster and kind of miss that tone.

2. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

i liked mine on first impression as well...don't dig it much..seeemed to get worse with age.

3. NoahL

NoahL Member

If you're willing to drop $600 for a new MIM that will instantly lose $200 in value, consider a used G&L ASAT with three pickups. There are various types, employing G&L's standard ASAT (Tele) pickups, their hotter S-500 pickups and their soapbar-sized "big MFD" pickups. All great pickups. The guitars are not in production (I don't think) apart from the ASAT Z-3, which would be out of your price range if you buy it new. But the used ones can be had for slightly more than $600 on eBay and Craigslist, etc., and they will never lose a dime of value. Plus, they're hand-made in America and will have better electronics, better tuners and better wood than your MIM option. You can start your research here:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/gnl.htm

4. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. Not really want to drop $600 on a MIM, either.

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think if you're buying a G + L you're buying the neck; if you buy 30 USA G + Ls off CList for CList prices, then you can laugh it off if 2 or 3 have bad necks that cost $ 600 to replace, while the other 27 can be good, great, or incredibly good.

As for the O.P.: I have 4 MIM Nashvilles I bought new last year; low to mid 400's without the Chinese gigbag. Bought in person, checked out over a dozen. I like them very much, once the lousy 6 hammer saddle bridge assembly is ditched for a 3 brass barrel type bridge. The Callaham bridge'd one is the best of the 4. The pickups and switching are good as is or can be modded to give you neck and bridge, or all 3 pups together. I've got one with Seymour Duncan SSL-1s in the neck and middle which is a blast. Very flexible modding platform, many varieties of sounds. The corollary is it is not a match for an AV52 at what an AV52 does best. And while it sounds stratty, it isn't really all Strat when you need that, no springy sound effect.

[​IMG]

The Pings tuner work well enough, but I've upgraded to Gotohs.

If I could change one thing (that I can't) it would be for the neck to be a little bigger, like a Baja. However more folks with like the neck as it is, generally more similar in size to a Highway One than FMIC specs list suggests. ( except for fret size )

This old hand-me-down saw about buying this MIM Nashville and losing $ 200 is getting old, and when I see this comment, it is never from people who own the guitar. Let's talk about folks who paid $ 1000-1100 for "Cubic Zirc" 60th Anniversary Strats and Teles when I got mine NOS from the dealer (3 Teles, 2 Strats) for $ 393-404.

Bubbanov

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  6. NoahL

NoahL Member

7. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 Member

I have a blond Nashville I'm considering selling. PM me if interested.
    [​IMG]

8. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

No the G&L's dont have neck problems,, they have great necks.
    Someone above stated that you pay for the neck on G&L's, thats because they are all hand made and each is just a little bit different.

9. shally

shally Member

there are always lots of them up for sale on e bay. i bought one with the express idea of using it as a platform to build a parts-caster.. in the process of changing out everything except the neck, body and tuners.. i am really excited about what it might become.

if you are patient, you can snag one for about 200..

10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

That's part of it.

What I'm saying is, when your Fender guitar neck goes goofy, you can find a replacement almost anywhere. Not so with G + L. No one at this point makes a replacement G + L neck, at least not at a price anything like what Fender and Fender compatible necks are routinely found for.

Most G + Ls have great necks, some even better than others. But if something goes wrong with your G + L neck and G + L wants too much to get you straightened away, where does the whole guitar go? Ebay or Craiglist, or possibly in the closet in the hopes a secondary cheaper neck source will develop one day.

Assuming that every used G + L guitar will have a straight or otherwise unbuggered neck, when bought off Craigslist, is naive, in my honest opinion.

11. NoahL

NoahL Member

Gotcha. I see your point. I bought a used G&L Legacy a while ago for $550. Decided I wasn't a "Strat" guy and sold it quickly on Craigslist. The guy who bought it wanted lower action and thus discovered something I hadn't noticed, that there was a very slight hump in the neck above the octave. I didn't have the certificate of authenticity, and neither did the first owner. So the 10-year warrantee didn't apply. I didn't understand why the guy couldn't have solved it with a fret leveling; the problem only manifested itself when you tried to have very low action. But he insisted it needed a new neck, or for the original to be planed and re-fretted. Anyhow, you're right that the G&L necks are not swappable -- a result of their being handmade to a certain extent. The company now CNCs much of the US manufacture and does all finishing by hand. I don't know if the CNC now applies to neck joints; it would make swapping much easier. But in many ways, Leo Fender seemed to want his G&L guitars to be one-of-a-kind and definitely not swappable with Fender guitar parts. Thanks for the discussion.

12. Bankston

Bankston Member

I used to own a MIM Nashville Tele and regret selling it. Good guitar for the money.

13. ChasR

ChasR Member

Loved my blonde Nash MIM for the tonal variety due to the 3 SCoils but I believe the wiring needs to be upgraded. The Tex Mex single coils in this fiddle always seemed a bit bland but I suspect that if you purchase a New "Nashville" wiring switch kit with Orange cap from Acme Guitar this would do amazing things for this guitars tone.
    A new switch kit will improve not only the tone and clarity but your 3 coil strat-o-tone feature will be "Magical" sounding.

You can get a Nashville cheap on ebay. Buy a new switch kit from ACME for just over 70 dollars and I believe you will be impressed.
    Oh and the neck on the MIM nashville feels real good too.:AOK

Good luck!

14. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

well i love g&l's

that being said, i also loves me my nashvilles.

IMO, the most versitile guitar on the market.

****, pay $150-200 extra and get a POWERHOUSE (?) nash w/ the Piezo.
    you can always throw a HB or mini in the bridge....
    *voila*..most versitile guitar ever

15. Griz

Griz Member

I never intended to buy one. I've got other Teles I like. But this one was going cheap; it had come in on a trade. A couple of dings.

I just tried it out of curiosity. As it happens, this one had great wood. Rang like a piano. I knew I was in trouble the moment I plugged it in.

Weeks later, I'm still knocked out at the tone and build quality for the $$.

And if I ever get the notion, for another $100 it's a poor man's '52 RI. It's a seriously great sounding Tele.

:AOK

16. hreaddavis

hreaddavis Member

You know, I'm playing in a country band right now with my buddy's nashville tele. I wanna say it's a 90's model, so changes could have been made since then.
    Anyways, it's an alright tele, but I personally would prefer a bigger neck, and the pickups aren't anything special, at least to me. Yeah, you can squeeze out some strat-esque sounds, but I know I wasn't hearing quite as much quack as I was hoping for in the neck-middle position.

Just another opinion; could just be this particular tele. Good luck!

17. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I'm pretty much stuck with mine:
    [​IMG]
    The bridge saddles were a joke originally though. Got the 7 way mod and midi on mine, thinking of getting a powerbridge too.

18. ghost

ghost Member

Jay, what's the black guitar w/ the f-hole showing in your pic?

19. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

vantage ES365