MIM standard body...quality vs MIM RI body?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Feb 14, 2009.

1. dazco

dazco Member

Anyone have an opinion as to the quality of the mim standard bodies verses the MIM RI body? I know the standard has a HB route, but i want a white alder body for my MIM 50's neck and was wondering is there are quality differences such as alder vs "select" alder or such. Have a chance at a white one for $130 and i'm considering it.

2. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I don't think there's a difference.

Here's a couple pics from a Fender factory tour (few years ago). At the time, there were two distinctions for body blanks - MIA and MIM.

MIA
    [​IMG]

MIM
    [​IMG]

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

From those pics, all the cut-offs from American body blanks are glued together to make MIM body blanks.

4. dazco

dazco Member

I can tell you one thing for sure....my MIM RI doesn't have near that many pieces. I have only been able to discern 2 pieces, but i think it's 3 and the 3rd is too well matched to tell for sure. but i think it's 3 max. Those are likely standards, and if so that answers my question....the difference may be the standards are more pieces of wood. By the looks of it once cut to shape those will yield 4 to 5 piece bodies. Also i was told by a fender employee the MIM RI bodies and necks are made in the states right along side the MIA ones and they just send some to mexico. that would explain why my 50's body looks to have no more pieces than a MIA RI. In fact, the grain on mine and the matching is better than almost every MIA RI i have seen, seriously ! So i guess the standard MIMs must be lesser bodies than the MIM RI's.