MIM Strat body vs American Strat body

killa j

This is kind of convoluted, but I'll lay out the background info then ask my question. I currently have a MIM Strat that I've upgraded. It has new pickups, a Musikraft neck, and a Wilkinson tremolo. I still have the original neck, and possibly the pickups. The Stratosphere has some brand new American Strat bodies at a good price right now. The idea is that I will buy the American body and a new tremolo, put the MIM back to stock form, and sell the MIM. My estimate is that I'll have ended up spending $100 after selling the MIM.

Is it worth that to have an American body and a floating trem? Or would I basically just be spending money to spend it? I don't really use the tremolo much, but I might use it more if it stayed in tune better.

Dave2512

For me Strat bodies are all about the accuracy of the shape relative to the original design and what wood rather than where made. I've seen modern American Strats with shallow bely cuts and almost nonexistent forearm cuts.

tommygunn1986

Curious to know what people say. I have an older body MIM Classic Series 50s Strat that I just bought a Warmoth neck for.

Johnny21

What is the goal you're trying to accomplish with the american body? Just for the sake of having a "American strat body?

Honestly that American body is going to make like 1% of a difference, if that. You're really splitting hairs here.

Assuming both are set up correctly for float: Why would the body have anything to do with how it stays in tune? I've had MIM trem set up for float and it was fine.

You'll get more tonal difference from pick up swaps

standard24

An American body will look and feel better than a Mexican one. I don't think you'd hear a difference. For $100 out of your pocket, I don't see how it can hurt much one way or another...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom