• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

MIM strat bodys ,what the heck?!

6Tones

So I just bought a 2010 MIM strat.When replacing the pickups I noticed the body has 3 circular holes on the left of the control cavity (almost like you could wire 3 extra knobs or switches there )

I read online that this is to designate it as a Mexican made body ?
If so, why the hell 3 huge circular holes?
Granted no one is going to see the holes when the pickguards on but still .. aesthetically its ugly.

Wouldn't ONE small circle suffice instead of 3 ?!

Jdobson

I started a thread on this a while back. The holes are made by a machine to hold the body in place while it routes out the pup and control cavaties.

6Tones

I started a thread on this a while back. The holes are made by a machine to hold the body in place while it routes out the pup and control cavaties.
So I guess the Cali factory has better CNC machines too ?

Im not suprised that the body is probably a 5-6 piece but never expected those "coin" holder holes..geesh

Devin

Low Voltage
who knows why fender puts esoteric markings where they do. Probably an acient mexican tradition to impart super special tone to your strat.

So I guess the Cali factory has better CNC machines too ?

Im not suprised that the body is probably a 5-6 piece but never expected those "coin" holder holes..geesh
does it affect how you play the guitar? or the resonance of the guitar? or anything about the guitar, really?

Are the american bodies not held in places when routed?
+1!

My belief is FMIC wants to be able to spot a MIM Standard body at a cursory glance, so it does not get mixed up with MIA bodies, Reissue bodies and so forth. This helps during authorized repairs, warranty etc.

Although, look at the ridiculous lack of contouring on the MIM bodies, some of them. Seems to me they were in an enormous hurry - although some Tele players find the less contoured Strat bodies easier to get used to, to switch back and forth.

Top Bottom