1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIM strat kills my PRS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by msymank, Dec 30, 2005.

1. msymank

msymank Member

Just picked up a mexican strat on a whim, $350 bucks.
    I can't put it down.
    Alright, well maybe its got kinmans.
    I have never owned a single coil guitar.
    I never wanted to be a strat guy, but I can't help it.

I love my swamp ash special and feel guilty about playing anything else.

But this cheap mexi strat, well, its the sound of every guitar I have heard in my life.

What the hell is wrong with me?

I thought I had the perfect lespaul strat solution. I guess I really wanted a strat all along?

I really hope its the kinmans. ITs really amazing gentleman.

I don't want to be a strat guy.

Guys,

I am a strat guy.

2. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

You're probably just suffering from shock. Give it, a couple of weeks, I'm sure you'll come to your senses, and burn the strat in shame then buy a Les Paul. :)

Actually strats are my favorite, I have a MIM strat that I bought in 1995 that has great tone, even a tech that I brought it to was suprised at how good it sounded. However, hopefully the Eric Johnson strat that's on it's way will smoke it.

3. msymank

msymank Member

Hilarious,

I sold my silverburst custom les paul 8 months ago.

I have played my PRS 2 hours a day, at least, exclusively since '99. I think its time for a setup. Cause I can't do it myself.
    I tried, but I have screwed up so bad its impossible to play. I will now spend $50 on a setup. Throw my mexi-strat in the fire, and hope, to god in heaven, that it will play worse.

I don't think it will.

4. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

Picked up a 1992 MIM a few months back GC, had a make offer on it so I did. Out the door at $125, got to say it was beat up looked like someon put it in vise had several quater size in dention on it. But another $100 in some texas specials and I got a beater the plays as good as my sons Custom 22. And it kind has cool look and feel to it.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I feel even worse. I've got a Gibson 165 and HR Fusion with heavy flatwounds sitting in the case while I play my strat with .010s on it. :)

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

There has got to be some reason why artists such as Beck, Blackmore, Trower and Clapton - who started out with Gibson sounds - ultimately turned to the Strat as their instrument of choice.

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I just think a strat screams more. It's harder to get what you want out of it because it's more primitive, rounder radius, smaller frets, longer scale, etc. However, when you wrench the notes out of it they just seem to scream and moan. I know folks have gotten that out of Gibsons too but there's just something special about the strat.

I think strats cut through better and are more versatile.

I also think the artists you mention tip their hat to Jimi in many ways and switching to a strat may be the ultimate compliment along those lines.

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

After 40 years at this stuff and trying almost everything out there, I realized that a good Strat will do more things than any other electric guitar. The trick is to find a good one as their tone and playability are all over the place. My old '64 is still the one by which I measure all others....but I currently own two new MIM Strats and they are about as good as it gets and one heck of a bang for the buck. My JV & '60's MIM Strats are totally stock and I have no plans to change anything on them. A few years ago, the MIM Strats I tried out were constructed very poorly....but I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing/hearing lately....so much so that my Fender Custom Shop Strats are on the auction block.

Yeah, there are some pretty Gibson's, PRS's, etc. out there and I suppose they have their place. But give me a good Strat and I'll take on the world ;) .

9. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Its called the honeymoon phase. It will pass in a week or 2.

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

after starting out on a 335 then trying PRS...Parker and Pauls I settled on strats for about 10 years until one day I picked up a tele...stratwho:D

Chow,
    Seegs

11. matte

matte Senior Member

Did you notify the proper authorities? Who do you think built the original fenders back in the "50s?

12. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

One of my main axes is a Highway 1 strat with the Fender Jeff Beck Hot Noiseless pu's.
    It is green with a purple pickgaurd, and mis matched color knobs and such. In other words it was built to look ugly. But every time I look at it I wanna play it.

Gregory

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

"If you must kill a PRS, kill it once and for all."
    - Japanese Proverb

14. ABKB

ABKB Member

Bought a MIM Strat back in the early 90's. Since then I have bought more expensive guitars, but the old Strat just never has been replaced. Still all stock, and I have gone back and forth about selling it, replacing the pups etc.. But it just continues to do whatever I ask it to. My band actaully prefers the sound of the Strat over my LP. In other words, I just cant seem to part with it. So I hear what your saying msymank. ;)

15. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

My MIM strat with Kinmans, Sperzels, Wilk br, AND Clapton boost/tone mods is a great, great ax. Of course, all the mods cost WAYYY more than the guitar itself, but still relatively cheap compared to higher end guitars.

jon

16. thintele

thintele Member

I've got a a MIM Deluxe Player Strat with us vinatge noiseless p/u and I don't mind saying it is a great playing and sounding guitar. Although I love my Tele (and my Lester) , Strats offer up a pallet of sounds that no other guitar does and this Deluxe Player has a switch where you can get every possible p/u combination...very cool
    :AOK

17. dave s

dave s Member

18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Matte, what do you mean by this. I don't know much about Fenders. Although I finally bought a USA Tele recently, put some Dimarzio Virtual Vintage PU's in it... I love it!

19. Dana

Dana Guest

I believe he means that Leo Fender hired people from Mexico to work at his factory. People like Tadeo Gomez. They were the first builders of the classic Fenders of the 50's and early 60's.

20. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

:AOK