MIM strats..recommend one

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TS808, Sep 11, 2008.

1. TS808

TS808 Member

I have two American series strats, but am thinking about getting a MIM strat too.

I've read some really positive things about the Jimmie Vaughan strat, but wonder about people's experiences with some of the others. My preference is a maple fretboard, and I do mostly blues and classic rock.

Any recommendations?

2. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

JV strats are hard to beat at the price especially if you like the V neck

3. drewl

drewl Member

I think they're made in China, but I really like the "Vintage Vibe" series strats and teles.
    I think it played better than a few MIM and even American standard strats I tried at a friends store.
    The neck felt good, and it sounded nice, even with the cheap electronics.

4. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

Try to find a MIM 60th Anniversary...GREAT guitar for the $, nice chunky V neck, vintage stained, blizzard pearl body.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Not sure if this is still true but MIM strats used to have and I believe still have 21 frets, my jap strat has 21 frets. Really want 22 frets, or you end up buying an American strat or tele like I did, don't notice the difference in the stores when your buying the guitar but the 22 fret is used a lot in music.

6. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

classic player 50's or 60's... or the Robert Cray signature.. all great guitars.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yeah that's weird that Fender never do 22 frets on the MIM stuff. They do it on Squiers and imports and on the USA standards and deluxes.

Nice to have that extra fret, but only really needed for some hair metal/Metallica junk.
    If you like to swap pickups, you'll hate the 22nd fret!

I played a terrific sounding Mexi strat yesterday. It was an HSS setup and just sounded good. the wood rang nice with clarity and none of that boomy, congested tone that so many of them seem to have. A good one is rare and you have to play a ton to find some. It's not particular to model, so you'll need to get out there and start runnin' the racks!

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I JUST sold the best Mexi-Strat/NaftaCaster I've ever picked up - a Vintage Player Strat. Basically it's an AV62 (they came in 50's as well) with Texas Specials, American trem & electrical parts, and medium jumbo frets (steel block trem and all the goodies) - Fender sent them to Ensina for assembly. Amazingly good, giggable Strat right out of the box. Maybe too good; Fender discontinued the series.

Jimmy Vaughan Signature Model - I'm not a big fan of Fender's Tex/Mex pups, but that's an easy enough fix. Grab a used set of Fralins off of e(vil)Bay, do a treble bleed mod on the volume pot, and you're rocking. Somewhere down the road toss in a Callaham bridge and maybe a set of Sperzel tuners and you've a keeper workhorse Strat.

Robert Cray Signature Model. I'd own one of these except they're hardtails; I LOVE trems and their springs/overtones. Great-sounding, great-playing Strat. WONDERFUL neck.

Peace,

jb

9. Phil M

Phil M Member

The Robert Cray is awesome. Shockingly awesome. It is a hardtail though. I agree with Troubleman about the response from the springs/trem. Still, I'd like to pick a Cray up.

I keep hearing about the Jimmie Vaughn and I didn't like that one as much. It was nice, but something about the neck didn't feel right (the finish). Is that satin? Maybe I just don't like that feel on a neck. My Deluxe Powerhouse Strat had that as well.

10. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I have a MIM Powerhouse Strat that I'm quite happy with. It has a mid boost knob, a bit like the Clapton Strat, that really fattens up the midrange for a more LP type sound. I put a Callaham tremolo in it and it's a great axe now.

11. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

Last time I went Strat shopping, I played hundreds. I ended up taking home a sunburst MIM Robert Cray model which is simply AWESOME! (btw, I was prepared to spend up to two grand at the time).

12. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

MIM for classic rock = Deluxe Powerhouse strat.......

13. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have a 48th street Mexican strat I got at Sam Ash with a humbucker & 2 single tex mex as a backup to my 73. I had it rewired with a 6 pole 5 way so I can roll off tone on the humbucker and all other combinations remain the same. It's a hot guitar.

14. larimar

larimar Member

The newest upgraded MIM standards are pretty good for your general strat tones. Plenty of them out there. Spend a day hitting the stores till you find a good one.

15. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I have an American Strat and a MIM Strat. I gave the MIM Strat out on loan because there was no reason to play it over the USA Strat. The US Strat killed the MIM Strat all day in every way.

16. bluesyjacuzzi

bluesyjacuzzi Member

I recently bought a 2003 50s vintage player strat. supposedly a limited edition of 250 in aztec gold or olympic white I think. I have been blown away with how good it is. I was looking to get one I could take out as both of my vintage 1957 and 1963 strats (which I have owned for over 25 years) are a bit valuable now. I was prepared to spend far more but this guitar is well built, sounds great, plays fantastic and has a nicely figured neck.

Having owned and played what many people consider "holy Grail" type strats for many years I am very pleasently surprised with this guitar and can highly recommend it.

17. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

I played a JV Strat the other day through a Blues Jr. I really liked. I thought it sounded nice. I wasn't a huge fan of the neck though.

18. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

MIM Deluxe Lonestar.......Custom Shop Texas Specials and a Pealry Gates humbucker in the bridge.....all for $550

19. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

That's the one I was speaking of. They also come in daphne blue (or at least the 60s model does). Stupid-great guitar for the money. Major-league GAS for a National Delphi forced me to part with mine. I'll probably find another one day....

Congrats on your find

Peace,

jb