1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIM Vintage Players Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ptecat, Jun 8, 2006.

1. ptecat

ptecat Member

I am looking for a new strat and do not have alot of money to spend. I visited a local music store that has two "Vintage Player Strats". These are special edition strats that were made in Mexico several years ago that have been discontinued but these two are NOS. I really liked the one I played today. It's spec's are as follows:
    -American vintage bridge/saddles
    -Texas Special Pickups (sounded better then any I have heard before)
    -9.5 inch radius (I like)
    -medium jumbo frets (I like)
    -rosewood fretboard (ok but hard for me to see on stage)
    -light blue paint job (Daphne?)

Anyway, they want $699 (the limit of my budget) and I get a gig bag. They had no Jimmie Vaughn strats, but I am not a fan of Tex-Mex pickups. I played a MIM 60th anniversary and it did nothing for me (again Tex-Mex pickups). I also tried a Highway 1 but did not care for it.

Question: any Gear pagers own or use these strats and if so, can you give me your opinions please.

Thanks

ptecat

PS - By the way, I played these guitars through a Heritage Victory amp (I think I got that right - it is the one with 2 6V6's). Wow, what an amp! Excellent BF deluxe tones. I did not have a chance to play with the cut or focus controls.

2. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I have one of those and it's probably a 2003 model like mine. Great neck, American pickups/electronics, 9.5" radius neck, med. jumbo frets..what more can you ask for! I replaced the pickups with Fat 50's(don't like Texas Specials) and put a Callaham tremolo unit on there and it's a killer strat. The guy I bought mine off of picked this one out of a batch of 11 a store had in-stock in '03 and he did pretty well. It's really resonate even playing unplugged. $699 is steep though for any Mexican model, especially a 3 year old guitar. I'd shoot for $550 tops(got mine for $500). I wanted a vintagy Strat without the 7.5" radius and this fit the bill in spades.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

I am sure those were a bit cheaper a few years ago when they came out. It seems to me what you quote was perhaps the MSRP. I am sure MF had them in their catalog for $499 or so. Anyway, I played one just like the one you describe, and it felt great. I didn't get a chance to crank it up, but the feel was super for a MIM Strat. If I'd have had the cash then, I'd have bought it.

4. DanR

DanR Member

I have one. I bought it a little over a year ago. It was old stock in the store. It was marked at $679 and they wouldn't come down. I really liked it, so I bought it. I normally don't get along well with Strats, but with the flatter fretboard radius, bigger frets and the fact that it's humbucking in the 2 and 4 position, it works well for me.

The custom color, which I really do like, has thrown me off. I'm not sure what it is. It's VERY light blue and has a slight greenish tint to it.

Here's a pic, but forgive my crappy camera and poor photography ;) It's not as greenish as the photo would have you believe.

[​IMG]

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The price issue is debatable. $699 might be what they retailed for and MF might have sold them for $499 but the guitar is no longer in production and I'm sure MF has no stock left, so you have no bargaining chip there.

You like the guitar and the other owners here are happy with theirs. If you're concerned with the cost the only thing I suggest is explain to the shop owner that you really like the guitar but it's stretching your budget to the limit. You're prepared to buy it now, bring your checkbook with you, if he could come down on the price. If he asks you how much you can spend, give him a figure. Don't low ball him! If he declines, ask what he thinks he could do. Be prerared to compromise.

Is $699 the price on the hang tag? Most all dealers come down from their tagged price. Here's one thing in your favor. I've been doing business with musical instrument dealers for close to 14 years from the wholesale end of things. Believe me, if that guitar has been hanging on his wall for three years, he would love to see it find a new home.

Good Luck

6. ptecat

ptecat Member

Thanks for the input! This is why I come to the gear page for advice. I have not been let down yet.

ptecat

7. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

If you ever decide to sell that Strat - CONTACT ME FIRST PLEASE!!!!!

Peace,

jb

8. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

9. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

ptecat,
    this may be a bit spammy, but I have one in sonic blue for sale right now. I'm the original owner, near mint, gigbag, all tags, etc. $525 shipped CONUS. email if you're interested. BTW these are great guitars as you already know.

10. Troubleman

Hate the cheesy gold hardware, the only color they come in that I like is the sunburst, and the vintage toneless... er - noiseless pickups are a real downer as well. I actually like those less than Texas Specials (you can drop the Texas Specials way down into the body and get an "okay" sound out of 'em). 'Course, that's me and my silly preferences; you're mileage may vary...

Peace,

jb

11. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

There great guitars, I had one in sonic blue as well, really miss it, but my 60' mim reissue is a real close, but being olympic white :~

12. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Here's a pic of mine:

[​IMG]

13. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

I think the vintage noiseless sound pretty good actually, trick is to adjust until you find 'that' spot. Could do without the gold hardware though but what are you gonna do when a good deal is thrown at you?

14. Troubleman

Well she ain't exactly harsh on the eye either, is she?:drool
    Now I'm pacin' the floor waitin' to get mine...

Peace,

jb

15. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

man, you guys are breakin my heart :(

16. Troubleman

Rosewood fingerboard?

jb

17. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

yup, it's the 60's version, and the rosewood is very dark, almost black. I really like the guitar, but I recently bought a masterbuilt strat, so something has to go. The color is great, it's a very pale sonic blue that just looks killer against the rosewood board.

18. Troubleman

Email or private message me...

jb

19. DanR

DanR Member

Hey, I thought you wanted mine. :mad:

Seriously, mine isn't going anywhere. I really do like it.

Good luck on whatever you end up with :BEER

20. Troubleman

Dude - your's still has your fresh drool marks on it; obviously it wasn't gonna be sold any time soon...:D
    I KNEW that. Still, if you decide to part with it....:crazy

Peace,

jb
    :BEER