Mind of the hobbyist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scolfax, Aug 1, 2019.

1. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

FWIW I could have posted this in any of the forums.

Couple of weeks ago I was having my 4th guitar PLEK'd, and then back for another adjustment for some unexpected buzz. I was a bit obsessed about it, thinking about fall-away, darker vs brighter guitars, fret material, the "uniqueness" of some guitars...

Then I had a severe emotional reaction to something that happened in my life.

I'm looking at my guitars and pedals and other gear, thinking, WTF is all of this for? What's the point? This stuff doesn't really matter.

It was the juxtaposition of my obsession that was almost yesterday, and my feelings today, that shocked me. I have been obsessing for years, having pointless fun. I think I could ditch it all today.

2. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Damn, that is a severe reaction. I've been there. Give it a little time. Don't sell everything!

3. Moniker

Moniker Guitarchitect Supporting Member

We do it because we feel rewarded from it. There will be times when yes, in comparison to "real world" problems, it does seem stupid, frivolous, fiscally questionable, etc... but you come back to it because it has provided such rewarding feelings in the past.
    I went a year and a half and didnt come on this board, buy or sell a single pedal, because other things that really mattered needed attention. But when the time was right, back into the pedal tone quest I dove.

Don't over analyze. Press pause for a minute and come back then the time is right.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I've had the same epiphany & sold it ALL!
    When I started buying gear again I kept it simple, I would only buy something if it WOW'd me.
    After that, other stuff I play in stores is BORING!
    So, that keeps me from buying stuff I don't need.

I'm obsessive compulsive, but have had to lay off modifying everything.
    In the past I'd mod something thinking I'd never sell it, but once modified it still didn't trip my trigger.
    So, these days if I buy it, there is no intention to modify it.
    If it doesn't do it for me as-is, then I'm not buying it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  5. Quartermass

Quartermass Member

Give yourself a few days....then you'll remember why you love the feel of rosewood or the twang of a single coil in the bridge or the joy of wah pedal squank or the lovely sound of your favorite acoustic. I am a hobbyist as well. There are days when I stare at my modest pile of gear and it seems insignifigant compared to the heavy weight of just "being alive" in the world. But...(almost always)..a few days later I pick up my favorite guitar and patch it through a few pedals (with my headphones on) and I am all good with everything. It's then I remember why I love music and realize how fortunate I am to be able to play an instrument (or two). For what it's worth...I've downsized quite a bit over the years....and each time it's been GOOD for me. Best of luck on your journey, friend. Cheers.

6. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

Sell. This stuff is not important. It's purely for people with disposable income as are most hobbies. When you're in a good place, approach it again with the new perspective. I've sold many a time and regret nothing. I have 2 guitars, 1 amp, and 4 pedals. I'm just fine. That's way too many for one person anyways.

7. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I'm struggling to stay interested these days, but I'm in my mid-70s, and tell myself that I have to do something to keep my brain and hands working. Diversification helps in my case - tired of fingerpicking, play lap steel, tired of playing, swap some pickups, tired of doing stuff, have an argument in a forum. :)

8. truckin

truckin Supporting Member

Look, yes there are definitely life events which make all this seem trivial. But, for me at least (and I'm sure for many others too), this is what makes those events more bearable. In the grand scheme of my life, does the difference between an OC82D and an OC75 transistor in a Tonebender fuzz pedal matter? Absolutely not. But does looking this stuff up on the internet and browsing Reverb for fun gear help to take my mind off things when a girl dumps me or whatever issues present themselves in life? Hell yeah it does. It's the little things.

9. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

Imagine yourself as a modeler. You look at your paints, and your brushes, and your airbrush, and your glues, and your sandpaper, and your X-Acto knives and you say: "Why do I have all this stuff, does it really matter?" Then you look at the shelves of beautiful models you built and therein lies your answer.

If you want to play music, then yes it matters. If you don't, then perhaps try model building?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  10. nkt275

nkt275 Member

Hang in there, mate. Don't sell anything just yet. Things always change. But the love for music (and gear) usually comes back around. I've seen you on this forum for years. You love this stuff, remember? If not, give it some time, one day you'll be glad you didn't sell anything.

11. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I love my gear and very much appreciate you fine folk.

Sell what you don't love, quickly.

BerkeleyJones and guitarmania like this.
  12. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

So you actually got to glimpse past the smokey veil of capitalism and it's hollow promises for a brief second.
    Fascinating.
    Keep going.

13. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Silver Supporting Member

Fun isn't pointless. Without it, life becomes so.

14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Same here. The only time I have "unhealthy thoughts" is when I think about the fact that nobody gives a flying sh×t about my music. Why should I bother doing it then. Nobody will ever be impacted by my noise.

Then I realize that I am impacted by it, and for the better. I'm an a$$hole now, I hate to think what kind of mega a$$hole id be if I didn't make music.

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Yeah, I needed a hobby, besides reading & watching TV.

How stupid would I look to spend so much time on gear forums if I didn't own a stitch of gear?
    :p

Almost forgot to add, don't SELL, just store it.
    Put it under your bed or in a closet, wait 3 months.

16. fitzo

fitzo Silver Supporting Member

Life is harsh. The music gives us shelter from the storm for some brief while in the interludes.

17. cratz2

cratz2 Member

It's an escape for me more than anything else right now.

When I was at my peak playing, at least my technical peak, I had one guitar and a peavey amp.

Now all I have all this nice stuff, MUCH nicer than I had back then but I easily spend more time on TGP than I do playing.

It is what it is. I still enjoy it. I'm not strapping myself for anything so I don't have any hangups one way or the other. Every once in a while I give something to help get a kid started.

It's all good. Life is good. Gear is good. Playing when I have time is good.

18. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

I like bouncing between hobbies. Painting, guns, and gear. The art you create is what's important. Not the tools you used to get there. As long as you are being creative and enjoying it, who cares about anything else.

19. Drew66

Drew66 Member

There’s nothing wrong with pointless fun and obsessing over gear is mostly harmless as long as you can afford what you buy. But sometimes life gets in the way and you have to take a step back. I agree with the others who are saying keep the gear for now and wait a while. Taking a break can be a good thing.

jimijimmyjeffy, Dannyz and Frank67 like this.
  20. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Why get out of bed every morning then? :dunno