Mind of the hobbyist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scolfax, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

When the black dog bites … everything seems pointless, at least while it has hold.

I make music for myself, and my reactions to the world and my life, good and bad and sometimes I have the Blues but can’t play them. Some things we aren’t allowed to discuss on TGP may also provide solace and a way forward.

Walk away for a while is a good suggestion: you don’t want to go through this this then regret for selling something you obsessed about with joy.

Don’t let the black dog bite twice from the same initial reason.

2. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

We hobbyists, especially the ones that go deep enough down the rabbit hole to post on forums, are a little obsessive. Taking a break and reducing inventory is a natural part of the cycle. Come back to it when it makes sense, or if it's time to move on to something else, godspeed -hopefully it's more affordable than this one!

sanfi4u, scolfax, nkt275 and 2 others like this.
  3. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I wouldn’t worry about it so much. Just move onward.

VooDooClown likes this.
  4. adolan

adolan Member

I have been tripping out on this a lot lately myself. I make art for a living at the moment, I play music. I usually enjoy both and sometimes I lean more twds one (usually the music ;) ) when frustrated or I tire of the other sometimes a bit of a detriment but hey, im trying here!

I have been kinda in a funk lately and there are days when I look at all my gear and go WTF?? I could sell all of this keep an amp and a few guitars and go around the world for a year ( I love to travel) on that money..But then I play my gear, that $6500 pedalboard loaded with Cornish goodies and other fun stuff, that crazy old Tube tape echo Klemt Echolette or that crazy OG Roland SH-101 and 9 out 10 times, 20 min into it, I am reminded why I went on the mission, I wanted the stuff I have always wanted (to get the quality of tones I always craved but could never get) and here I am.

Ok, thats not to say, that I don't have my share of "put it into perspective moments" but for now, the music, the feeling I get when I hear what I am playing coming across, my drummer who is an all around multi instrumental musician said one day to me "Man, I just cant get over how amazing and just quality pro sound that whole rig you have is!" (his other band use my amp as well but my amp in conjunction with the crazy expensive pedals...well its just s perfect fit/match, its not "slick" or whatever, its just the culmination of a couple of years here, talking to ppl like @sonichronic etc etc figuring the out the puzzle pieces of my world in my head. Believe me though, I know EXACTLY what you mean, I lost a lot of friends/family in the past few years, other crazy **** has happened and I always somehow wind up back at my drafting table or sitting in my chair between my amps (stereo is the bomb) at home and disappearing into the ether..Hang in there, it gets better.. :)

5. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

I'd rather have and keep my gear.

Otherwise, I could sell it for 'bout 3 grand and snort it up in 3 days. That was my issue 2 years ago. Whether I need it or not, it keeps me busy and off heroin.

I got a long way to go man, but at least I got my gear...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    BenP, See3po, weyllandin and 8 others like this.
  6. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

I've had a similar recent switch. I really feel like I could get down to a fraction of the massive collection I have and be fine. I am selling some stuff off, mainly just to see it go to worthy owners. Its probably a healthy change.

scolfax likes this.
  7. halcyon

halcyon Member

Occasionally I have bad tone days when nothing sounds good to me, but in 25+ years of playing I’ve never felt compelled to throw it all away. The guitar has been a constant companion and fascination. Few things make me happier than playing, learning, even mundane practicing.

8. 4b454e

4b454e Member

Sell. It’s just stuff. If you love playing, keep a guitar. Or don’t. I reckon you can find another later if you want.

Anyway, be well!

scolfax likes this.
  9. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Yup, so true. My musician buddies will ask me how did you come up with that melody or that guitar solo, how did you get those chords, what inspired that bass line, what do those lyrics mean, etc.... None of them have ever asked me what amp did you use, what pickups are those, which piano is that, which drum kits is that, what mic was on your cab or your voice. Never have I been asked what gear did I use to make those recordings.

10. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

Pulling for you, whatever works.

11. jblake

jblake Member

I never get those feelings about gear, but I do feel that way about the time spent practicing, maintaining gear, and playing the occasional gig. On a nice Sunday afternoon I feel guilty about practicing instead of working on my landscaping. On a Friday night I feel guilty about playing for a bunch of drunks instead of taking my sons to see a movie.

I justify it by my kids’ own interest in music and my ability to be a resource in that area.

scolfax and soundchaser59 like this.
  12. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

2 years is a major journey buddy, you have done well young jedi. Sending karma your way and here's one more voice urging you to believe you are on the right track now. Music can heal a lot of sore spots better than time ever could.
    When I'm doing other things I feel guilty about not playing or not recording. Sometimes I feel guilty about all the things I could have done with music that I have never done.

13. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I was politely asked, how many guitars do you really have? I heard you had 14. By a person, who I knew slightly.

I realized that I needed to cut back, so, I donated an acoustic to a charity, for a Veteran. I gifted my partner the Fender Strat, that was stolen from her as a teenager. I gave her an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, birdseye maple, that she liked.

I gifted my son, a Fulltone pedal board, he now uses to play with me in a jam band. He has really improved with the new gear and we recieved, an invite to gig with some old friends, bonus.

I traded a US Strat, I got for a wholesale price, for a slide amp.

I play drums, bass and guitar, so, I have downsized further, traded a set of surplus cymbals, for a pro quality 7 piece drum kit. Though, cymbals take up less room, I wanted a drum kit that my stepson, who is a pro drummer, could play, as an upgrade to his kit.

Repurposed, a guitar for slide.

Traded off or sold surplus pedals, attenuator, etc, to my needs.

I now only have a main style of guitar, Strat, Tele, Les Paul, bass and back up and one pedalboard that is flexible for, acoustic, electric and bass.

I am much happier and so are my family.

YMMV

scolfax likes this.
  14. Nota

Nota Member

Me too! I don't think I've ever been bored. I work around 10 hours a week and have lots of hobbies. This summer it's been electronics, archery, biking, gaming, bass and guitar.

So yeah diversify, if a hobby becomes boring it's time to pick up another hobby!

15. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

It all makes noises. Making noises is fun.

[​IMG]

16. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

When you get right down to it, the people in our lives are more important than the things.

I have a few instruments that are quite precious to me after many years together. After countless hundreds of hours together they feel like a part of me and I've always said I'd never willingly part with them, even if I were to let all the rest of my gear go.

But if it came down to it, I wouldn't hesitate for an instant to give them up for the sake of a loved one.

scolfax likes this.
  17. Emigre

Emigre Member

Nice things are nice but at the end of the day they’re just things.

It’s important to not forget that :)

scolfax and Johnny Moondog like this.
  18. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

I've played for over 30 years, but had a weird period of a few years where I just had no desire to play, and all my guitars just gathered dust.

I got into target shooting during that period, and all my spare cash for new gear, and time was focused on that hobby. About 7 years ago I randomly picked up a dusty guitar and re-lit that hobby again, and maybe target shoot 2-3 times a year now, with all my target shooting stuff gathering dust.

19. PvtKingpin

PvtKingpin Member

I had the same thing in the beginning of this year.
    Sold almost everything to get a multifx-thing.
    Also got a tuner and volume pedal to go with it.
    A week ago I got a Volante, good stuff, something I won't get rid off until I atleast learn how to use it.

I have not given up on modding yet as I'm still waiting to replace almost everything on my strat. :)

Maybe that will follow soon.

Have you bought a pedal since that you've owned before?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  20. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I bought The Drop twice, as well as Big shot ABY.

PvtKingpin likes this.