Mind of the hobbyist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scolfax, Aug 1, 2019.

1. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

That's a good philosophy, emotionally and financially. I've always been one to chase the hidden treasure, underrated finds, diamonds in the rough, etc. Its a great quest, and when you find something, its magical. But the cost of all the items that didn't live up, end up costing more than the better items. You do learn a lot, and maybe its just tuition. It also gives you the knowledge to not fall for the fake overpriced items posing as the good stuff. Maybe its about the journey, not the arrival?

2. Tootone

Tootone Member

Don't do anything. Go see your GP... have a discussion about cognition... seriously.

Vhailor and Papanate like this.
  3. johngregson

johngregson Member

Whatever the outcome, I hope you're ok.

4. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

You sir are a true artist. You make art for it's own sake, with no expectation of a return from others.

You can go no higher ... except maybe with a another tube screamer.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  5. thinkwriter

thinkwriter Member

I'm a hobbyist, a dilettante. I used to have a rig too pricey for my ability, my purpose for them, and the rate of use. I ended up losing money when I had to sell them.

I'm loving this thread. A lot of profound insight IMO.

scolfax likes this.
  6. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

It's a bit of depression. Just survive for now, the interest will come back eventually.

Vhailor, soundchaser59 and scolfax like this.
  7. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

That’s some serious introspection my friend. I hope you are doing well, but maybe this is just a clarity that some of us are searching for....some sort of musical enlightenment....I wish you well if you need it, and appreciate this comment.

scolfax likes this.
  8. Goico

Goico Member

If its gear where talking about then I say ditch it all. Nothing more cathartic for the mind and soul than a good old fashioned purging. Purge till it hurts, it wont kill you and you might learn something about yourself.

9. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Do it and throw yourself into volunteer work with kids, the homeless, the elderly, Special Olympics, or something like that.

In the big scheme much of our lives are “pointless “. We need to work to eat and keep a roof and save enough not to die in the street. But outside of a few people remembering us when we pass, let’s face it the world will go on without us just fine.

So do something radically different and see if it brings some feeling of meaning.

amp boy, Laurence, scolfax and 2 others like this.
  10. markmann

markmann Member

I consider myself a serious hobbyist and at one time I had WAY more gear than I have now. As I got older I came to the realization that playing guitar and collecting gear was not as important as I once thought it was in the grand scheme of life so I sold off most of what was collecting dust and never regretted it. Don't get me wrong, the hobby is important to me but I don't want it to get in the way of what's really important.

scolfax likes this.
  11. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Health, family, helping others, are all important to me. But I in no way find that having gear interferes with or prevents me from those things. Did you find that your hobby was affecting your choices on how to spend time?

Vhailor likes this.
  12. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

I ll have to print this post and put it on the wall, just to remember how hard i laughed when i read it...

13. scopa

scopa Member

Oh no! you Zen'd out :) You are right, none if this really matters. But if you are feeling overwhelmed by all the gear. force yourself to write something with what you got. Narrow down your focus and just work on a small project, to make some music. Maybe forcing a project like this will help you reconnect with the utility of the sound making gear you got!

14. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

I got to this point and replaced my hobby with playing music. That's not a smarmy comment, but when I wasn't playing much I got way into the "gotta get this and this and..." thing you see on TGP all the time.

A couple of things snapped me out of it:
    • Borrowing a very highly-sought-after OD for a week, trying it out and thinking about how great it was, while also thinking that I needed to swap my SD-1 back in for a gig that night.
    • Getting excited for a TGPer who had just received his pedal after a 2-year wait. He posted a half dozen pics of the pedal posed on a silk background shroud. He gushed his gratitude to the builder who had taken his $300 two years earlier, and about what an amazing pedal it was. And he mentioned that he couldn't wait to plug it in because he'd never heard one.
    • A litany of stuff I sought and bought because TGP said it was the holy grail of tone, getting it and thinking "meh..." and a month later realizing that its proponents were now also saying, "meh" and had moved on to something else. Did that thing really sound different because a month had passed?
    I get that collecting can be a hobby in itself, but think I sound much better since I stopped trying to convince myself that I needed to use this piece of gear or that because it was hand-built or desirable to others.

Johnny Moondog and metrokosmiko like this.
  15. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

Pointless fun. You hit it bullseye.

I have fully acknowledged by now that my gear obsession / quest is mostly me avoiding other stuff I need to do.

I always think of all the money I'd have right now if I had stayed at the first of the many, many "I think I'm done" moments.

scolfax likes this.
  16. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

Some people are obsessed about hitting a little white ball into a little hole in the ground somewhere down yonder. So I guess obsessing over this stuff is ok too.​

weyllandin and Johnny Moondog like this.
  17. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

At least our footprint is smaller

18. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

and maybe one more Tele...... and one more amp.... you know....

Vhailor and apalazzolo like this.
  19. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

While I do care about the gear I use, and certain aspects of it do matter quite a bit to me, I try to avoid the minutiae that will lead you down a rabbit hole.

Also, becoming a father in 2017 definitely changed my relationship with gear.

20. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

I used to go absolutely crazy with my amps, I still have boxes and boxes of tubes and speakers and reverb tanks, it was crazier than any pedal obsession. This went on for years, it was some sort of weird ego trip that gave me a sense of control and made me feel like I knew some deeper truth about guitar tone and rock and roll than the next guy. What a gigantic waste of time and money (which is really the same thing as time). Consumerism (especially "informed" consumerism) can be a cancer. I wish I spent more time with my family and actually playing the damned guitar than swapping tubes and speakers in and out of my already perfectly designed and engineered amps.