Mind of the hobbyist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scolfax, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

I had a really bad gear day yesterday and walked away very frustrated. Everything sounded horrible to my ears. Played the other day and it was great. Turned it all off, didn't touch a dial. Came back next day and just freaking terrible.

To make matters worst the neck on one of my Strats shifted. Not a big deal but I'll need to take the neck off and probably can't salvage the new strings. I just restrung it with a set of strings I paid over $10 for at the M&P because I ran out and forgot to order more online.

Today everything was good. Still have to get to that Strat though. Most likely tomorrow. I guess this is what we do.

2. 2Badde

2Badde Member

Everything's pointless! This rock we're on has been floating in a misshapen circle for about four or five billion years. All manner of life has come and gone several times. The universe is so big and the nanoverse is so small, all we can do is theorize what it all means.
    Be nice, have fun, take care of your family and business. But do keep playing. If all we get are a few decades, then make music, laugh and party. And maybe eat well and drink the good stuff.

3. Produktsumme

Produktsumme Member

I have way too much gear being a hobbyist. Sometimes I do not touch a guitar for a couple of weeks until I feel that "yes, you have the right fingers today" thing going on. What a waste, but man I explode on the guitar that day. Plus, everytime I just look at my pedal, amp and whatnot collection in the living room, I feel happy. If I were you OP, I'd not sell a single thing.

Johnny Moondog likes this.
  4. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Existential crisis is a separate thing from buying guitars. Just sayin'.

5. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Start or join a band op

rumbletone likes this.
  6. c7sus

c7sus Member

I hate it when my little bubble gets popped by life.

That's why I always carry spare bubbles.

7. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I own a rediculous amount of amps, guitars and pedals.

Most of which are just sitting on shelves , in cases, and boxes,
    from one year to the next.

I am busy...job , family , home .

Back when I was a bachelor , I had tons of time to play guitar.
    But I was lonely.

The grass is always greener....

I hope to find the balance someday.
    I have not even come close yet.

8. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

To be fair, you could have said this really about any hobby or non-critical issue in life. Traumatic events are like that.

This too shall pass.

MikeMcK and Vhailor like this.
  9. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

You forgot to add "send me a list of your gear and how much you want for it."

Vhailor likes this.
  10. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

While I do use my gear at frequent gigs, I do have way more than I need. The things you own can end up owning you, as the saying goes. I reached that point once before and sold off everything except what I was using daily. I'm approaching that again. It hits home when I go into my storage room and look at the rack I built to hold just guitar cases. It goes from floor to ceiling and half the cases have guitars in them and the other half are empty, just cases using up valuable room in my house. It does feel good to lighten up on these things, it always seems like it will hurt way more than it does.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  11. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

If you are having that strong of an emotional reaction - sounds like whatever happened to you - you never had closure. Before you do anything with the guitars and other gear you should find out why the past didn't close and let you move on.

12. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Music has played a huge role in my life. I probably would not still be alive if it were not for music. Friends and family have come and gone, but music has always been there for me - through the good and bad. At times, playing music (and recording for others) paid the rent - though for the last many decades it has not been my ‘career’. Many of my best friends are people I met playing music. Gear is part of playing music - so although no particular instrument is indisposable, I certainly know why I have it and what its importance/relevance is in my life. YMMV!

13. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

You can't take it with you. You have 80yrs to live on this earth. Might as well have the gear that brings you happiness, insomuch as gear is capable.
    Fwiw, my whole electric rig doesn't cost near as much as a fancy-schmancy mountain bike.
    Other hobbies can cost a LOT more.
    I wouldn't sell it.
    I'd put together a good jam session with your buddies and blow out the walls until you feel better.

14. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

Life is odd. Played in bands, locally, many years ago, loved/lived the Rock Life even in a small city, then career etc took over, big "get rid of this lot!" moment and eventually sold last guitar then none for 20+ years.

Another life crisis, black dog bit hard, and I was "Where is my guitar when I need it?!?"

Wish I'd kept one now. It keeps me sane, but if I'd kept just doing some basics ...

Best wishes for whatever you circumstance is.

15. See3po

See3po Member

Good on you bro.

16. juri

juri Member

Gear is there for you, you're not there for the gear. The idea should be that gear helps you and if gear becomes a distraction that's not a good thing. One of the reasons many players like pedals is because they are (or at least should be) simple. No menu diving just tweak the three or four knobs. If you spend too much time obsessing about your guitars you probably have too many. Those guitars are not helping you, you are helping them.

captaincoconut and soundchaser59 like this.
  17. Goico

Goico Member

Don't be juvenile. I didn't forget a thing. My post is exactly as I intended it to be. Nothing more nothing less.

18. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

This reminds me that I seem to be walking a line right now. I'm at a point where I can want an amp or a guitar and within a few minutes I can explain to myself why I don't really need it. Then I move on. Other times I think I need to pay off that last $500 bucks so I'd better sell some pedals or sell one of the amps or one of the guitars. Within a few minutes I can justify keeping the 4 amps I have and the 4 guitars I have, and I can only find 3 or 4 pedals that I'm indifferent to and wouldn't mind keeping or selling.

It's like I can "ride a wave" in this place and I won't lose anything and I won't gain anything, all I have to do is use what I have and I'll be moved and pleased and reaffirmed. Hard to explain, except to say it feels like some kind of delicate balance that I don't want to disturb. I'm making music, music is my refuge, and I'm not losing money on anything.

19. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

seriously considering selling most of my gear and just keeping an acoustic guitar at home
    and one electric to keep at work.

20. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I've been struggling with this myself lately as well. I've spent much of my life in multiple bands at the same time, acquiring gear as needed to produce appropriate sounds for said bands, and often just going on a buying bender for the holy grail. I've ended up with enough gear to open a small store.

During much of this time my "studio" (did a ton of recording for myself and lot of other people there) became a "music room" and then became a "storage room". As the years went by the number of bands I was in reduced, and now I just have one band.

I recently retired and am in the process of reorganizing (cleaning up) the room with the realization that I have way too much stuff for my current, and expected future, situation. I'd like to start selling, but the Bay and Craigs has become ridiculously difficult.

I don't mind owning stuff, but this is just too much for this point in my life. It's going to be difficult to deal with.

scolfax likes this.