Mini 12AX7 Shoot out.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

If you can forgive the Beezz for being brief. Just threw a number of AX7's in my Balls M-18 to compare the tone with just jamming and listening.

Tubes used were in a sets of three of the same brand in V1, V2, and V3.

Tubes I used for this Test.

JJ ECC803 Long Plate

JJ ECC83 Short Plate

Ruby Higrade Short Plate

EH Short Plate

Sovtek LPS Long Plate

Tung Sol Short Plate (reissue)

GT 12AX7M Long Plate (reissue)

NOS Mullard Long Plate IEC Branded (slightly used)

I played all of these Tubes in the same amp with the same settings. Balls M-18 18 watt 2x12 Combo through Channel 1 with the Volume set on Dimed and the Tone Control the same. I listened for both Clean sounds and Raging Dirty sounds using my 52 reissue Tele and only using the guitars volume control for cleans to dirty sounds.

As I said this is gonna be a brief review just concentrating on the things that stand out about these tubes. No Cork Sniffy stuff here.

JJ ECC83
    Clean - Warm Sweet Cleans
    Dirty - Not bright enuff for my Taste but not Fizzy

JJ ECC803
    Clean - Lots of spank and very sparkling
    Dirty - Too Fizzy for my taste

Tung Sol
    Clean - Bright Chimey less Bass than others
    Dirty - Too Fizzy for my Taste

Sovtek LPS
    Clean - Punchy Low End
    Dirty - Very Smooth a little Microphonic

EH
    Clean - Very Similar to the Tung Sols
    Dirty - Very Meaty Very Bad Microphonic Ring

Ruby High Grade
    Clean - Warm Round Slightly Microphonic (very unusuall looking tube on the inside.)
    Dirty - Warm

GT M's
    Clean - Just like Sovteks
    Dirty - Just like Sovteks Brand new right out of the box Motor Boating.

Mullard ECC83
    Clean - Spanky 3D
    Dirty - Absolute best Dirty Sound of all the Tubes

Overall I would say all of these had some attributes that were good and some better than others. If one could pick the combinations and combine them one could be very happy. Such as maybe a Tung Sol in V1 and two Sovtek LPS's in V2 and V3.

I'll have to try some combinations and check back in later on that.

As a side all these Tubes excluding the real Mullards were Brand New and purchased from a dealer who checks them. Not all from the same Dealer.

[​IMG]

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I had great luck with the Tung Sol's. Outperformed my RCA 12ax7.

I completely agree on the GT Mullard RI. Can you say 'OverHype'

Not so much agreement on the EH's. Loved that sound. Maybe a bad one regardless of testing?

The JJ was too dark for me as well.

3. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

I like the new Tung-Sol - nice tube, probably the best RI out there right now, IMHO.

Any thoughts on the EI Gold series? I've found these to be quite nice when you get one that isn't microphonic.

blueaxe

4. bailnout

bailnout Member

Red Planet, you bastard!! Did you have those tubes with you on the other night? I would have loved to have heard that Mullard in the Ecstacy and/or the OD-100. Your essement sounds like just what I'm looking for. Where did you get yours?

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yeah I had em with me the other night. I got mine from Vacume Tube Valley and let me tell you NOS NIB they aint cheap. I bought 6 of em at one time and I'll never do that again. To me your better served to find some good current production Tubes. You can however find some rebranded ones cheeaper. Some say as little as $60.00 each. Tube Getter is the guy to hit up to find a stash of rebrands at a lower price.

The guy that built my Balls amp had a 1940's Mullard he stuck in it and you wouldnt believe the sound of that thing.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I tried to get a set of these. Who are you getting yours from. I just got a matched quad of EI Elite Gold EL84's that I love. They didnt have the AX7's though.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Guys I forgot to list the set of Rubys I edited my post and added them.

I do belive one of the EH's must be bad I'll try and weed it out andtry it again without that Tube (I have more).

Bailnout Dude if you could see my tube stash you **** your britches.

8. roknrob

roknrob Member

I really like the Tung Sol's mixed with RFT's .The RFT's add the bass the Tung Sol's need .:AOK

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

So far, the new Tung Sols are sounding great in my Hayseed. Better than the JJs or my NOS RCAs and GEs. Who'da thunk it?

10. Fxrs

Fxrs Member

Funny you should say that. I bought a GTM12AX7 from GC(I know they get some bad knocks, just wanted to see for myself) the other day, I get about a mile down the road, pop it open, out drops a Sovtek! I could smell the wood burning from the kid when I brought it back, thinking I'm screwing him, of course it was the last one.

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

Maybe someday I'll have to take a trip up to your place and we'll play toys!

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Anytime you want to come up your welcome to. I'm kinda right in the middle of getting some recording finished up. I've got 11 songs recorded and have to lay down the Lead and Backing Vocals and Lead guitars. I might pick out a Song that would be good for you and let you lay down a Solo on one of the Tracks if you like.

13. bailnout

bailnout Member

That sounds like a good time!! I'm out of town this weekend but after that my weekends are pretty open.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'm dumbfounded about the GT M's I mean right out of the box brand new they started that Motor Boating thing. I heard a Pop when I flipped on the Standby switch and then tic tic tic rrrrrrr tic tic tic rrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrr tic tic tic then no motor boating for about a minute then tic tic tic rrrrrrrrrr ....:jo

15. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

http://www.thetubestore.com/12ax7.html

These aren't the gold series, just the elite series. I don't find them to be too terribly different from the gold series.

Another tube that I really like quite a bit is the Svetlana 12AX7.

bluesaxe

16. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I've gotten a couple of the GT12AX7Ms that motorboated in some amps but not others. Weird...

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I though he told me he didnt have any. Maybe it was the Gold Series. I got my EI Gold Elite EL84's from them. Dang good tubes just ask Bozotone. He told me he didnt have many of those left. I may need to stock up. My Balls takes two and I got 4 of em so I can make a little while before I have to reup but I better get em while the gettings good.

18. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Reds' Ei's flat ROCKED the M-18...it is a killer amp anyway, but we tried a set of tubes I had with me on Tues. nite at the Shoot Out and the M-18 lost the balls (pun intended) that it had with the Ei's....gonna have to get me a quad......

19. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Nice work Sir! I have an 18 watter clone that im just starting to experiment with. I find its really senstive to tube changes and even the slightest noise in a preamp tube is magnified. Nothing like good old raw marshall tone!! Again, thanks for the excellent review.

20. bailnout

bailnout Member

BTW these were all the V1 tubes I had in the Bogner, OD-100 and Jubilee respectively on Tues. night.