1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mini 5W tube head. Loss of sound and glowing around the bottom of the tube socket...?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Swmorgan77, Oct 10, 2018 at 8:07 PM.

1. Swmorgan77

Swmorgan77 Member

Hi, I've got this problem on my Wangs Mini 5 amp. I've owned it since january and it just started doing this. It's got four tubes:
    2 12ax7 preamp tubes (have swapped these out, no improvement)
    12BH7 power tube
    6Z4 rectifier tube

I'm getting a red glow from underneath the socket for the 6Z4 rectifier tube, and a smell starts to come from there. I'm pretty sure that's where the problem is. Bad tube maybe? Or something worse?

They've offered to refund me upon return, but I really love this amp and would like to save it if I can.

2. 79Stone1

79Stone1 Member

Underneath the socket? Like inside the chassis? In any case, if the seller offered to refund it, take them up on it.

pdf64 likes this.
  3. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Take the refund and run!!

4. Swmorgan77

Swmorgan77 Member

Yes, inside the chassis. I plan to, but I love this amp and if there's a fix would like to try that first. $180 isn't really going to make or break me, and this amp sounded soooooo good while it worked. :(

79Stone1 likes this.
  5. 79Stone1

79Stone1 Member

You could try putting a new rectifier tube in it. That's a bit of a risk in that whatever caused this problem in the first place might ruin your new tube, or cause further damage to the amp circuitry. I say if you like it that much, just get your refund and put that money toward another one.

Swmorgan77 likes this.
  6. Swmorgan77

Swmorgan77 Member

Yeah I think that's the next thing I'm going to try. The tube doesn't look bad, but might be it. I've already ruled out the power tube by replacing it, but gotta wait for the 6Z4 to arrive from China. Fortunately, it's only 7 bucks for two of them, so no biggie if ruins the new tube.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 8:37 PM