Mini-Bi-comp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vhollund, Feb 22, 2008.

1. vhollund

vhollund Member

I just threw in the money for a Analogman Bi-comp
    Should arrive next week

So All you happy owners
    and less happy owner
    are you still happy with it?
    :)

2. auffredou

auffredou Member

After some tweaking, I am very happy with mine. I bought it a few months back when I was beginning a complete overhaul of my setup (soild state amp and some crappy pedals), and I was planning to move towards single coils.

Latley Ive been very happy with sticking with my Les Paul studio, so I turned the attack all the way up on the inside of the pedal. It sounds good for leads and single note stuff, but if I strum it still seems to be squashing a little more than it should be, and I think its because of the strong signal from the humbuckers. Id be interested to hear any thoughts on this, I was thinking about switching to a humbucker sized P-90 at some point anyway, dont know if this will make a difference.

I think you'll be happy if you know what youre looking for, it does exactly what its supposed to. "vintage" type compression I guess? Different sound than a tone press or somehting, but if thats what you want, you will love it.

3. giggedy

giggedy Member

still very happy.

- what's up glide

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

hey gig, might as well move the party over here, PT is slow as hell right now.

5. auffredou

auffredou Member

oh, by the way vhollund, i dont know if youve ever bought anything from mike before, but he was very helpful during the whole process when I was freaking out because I couldnt make it work right.

6. giggedy

giggedy Member

how are you liking the rmc3?

7. auffredou

auffredou Member

I like it alot, definite improvement over the crybaby which was broken anyway. The cool thing is that I havent even gone in and tweaked the settings yet, I like it as is, so it was definitely worth it since theres always the potential to change it too.

8. giggedy

giggedy Member

nice, I still want to get one of those someday.

9. auffredou

auffredou Member

you wont regret it, did you get anything figured out with that byoc?

10. giggedy

giggedy Member

I'm going to send all 3 of my byoc's to another tgp member, FuzzDawg. He's built a bunch. I really don't have time to figure it out. I'm happy that I can send them to him, pay him to fix them up, and then ask him what I did wrong. These days I'd rather be practicing than figuring out how electronics work. Summertime is a good time for electronics :)

11. vhollund

vhollund Member

No its my first time but I heard also from others that he ansvers mails,
    I asked him if he could check the pedal works before shipping
    If its true what they say about shipping before 2-3 days
    it should be here in Lyon next week

I've had my eyes on it for a while and then the money suddenly showed, and then I shot the camel
    I'm quite curius to see what the two compressors does
    I've heard old MXR comps and I like what they do even if they boost the lows plenty
    The Ross should be better sounding and more transperant

I'll be using it for funky stuff, mute rythm picking and stuff like that
    the squeezer looks like a perfect clean solo thing

I dont buy gear that offen, so Its quite exciting :)

12. thewex

thewex Member

wus up gig and glide? i think my vox wah sounds pretty good, but probably could use a good "tune up." maybe once i start in with the BYOC's it will help me fine tune some of my other pedals.

13. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I have a couple of old Dynacomps so didn't need the Ross side, but when I heard the mini bycomp on a freinds board I had a Juicer on the way to me the next day. I LOVE this pedal. Since then I've bought a bunch of stuff from Mike and each time have been blown away. Bottom line is they just sound great and Mike is a legend. I like the Tone Press, it's great, but for me a combination of the Ross/ MXR and Juicer are just a better fit, which is exactly what the bi comp is.

14. auffredou

auffredou Member

hey wex.

I think the rmc3's stock setting is supposed to be a vintage clyde, and I like the sound of it. The vox clyde was my other option, but I went with this because of the tunability.

15. vhollund

vhollund Member

I just got it today

My first impressions are VERY positive
    I thought i would like the OS side best but the ROSS side is really impressive
    Really good to the strat sound, huge, not too squashed, defined, and its still the sound of my guitar without any chocking coloration
    I was warned about the high frequensies beeing squashed but
    I already roll of alot on my guitar, and my impression is that it is not something that is chocking in any way, surprisingly

The OS , is sligthly too squashy for my taste but i like the coloration
    and with certain vintage amps it can be really good for solostuff i guess

i can use BIAS for less squash ?

My Golmer Compo-sus can not compete at all anymore so i guess it will be for sale :)

16. vhollund

vhollund Member

BTW the internal attack factory setting is Perfect for my V60lps

17. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I've had my MiniBiComp on my board for two years now (it replaced my twenty year old Boss CS-2 ,the Nashville Special) and it will most likely stay on my board for as long as I play guitar I dig it that much. I love having the abillity to switch between the Ross and Orange Squeezer side although I tend to use the Ross a bit more. By the way, the CS-2 had replaced my old script logo MXR DynaComp which I really liked except it
    was quite hissy. And the DynaComp had replaced my old Dan Armstrong OS which wouldn't fit on my Strat after switching from playing Les Pauls so obviously I was thrilled to see him put those two in a common pedal.
    Mike really nailed it with the MiniBiComp. Two classic compressors in a small enclosure. What more could you ask for?:BEER

18. vhollund

vhollund Member

Yes it is nice
    Ive been messing around with it abit since yesterday
    I sligthly changed the Bias on the OS side to get a little less squeeze
    The sound gets unstable if you turn the bias too far clockwise
    so its a fine compromise to find beetween that and too squeezed

It now sounds brillant til about 6-7 on my volumepot (V60LPs)
    Then the tone and attack kindof mushes out too compressed
    But i figured it might fit me because i use the GT volumepot alot anyway

The ross side has good/great ballance sustain/attack till about 2 o'clock
    after that both attack and tone gets more squeezed and sustained

Then I found that with sustain at 2'oclock and the OS together works cool as sustain/pedalsteel/swell kindof vibe

What settings do you use and for wich kindof playing?

19. vhollund

vhollund Member

Hm after some more tweaking and listening I got to a setting with abit more attack
    The Ross comp sounds best if it still squashes the attack abit so it stayed around 1 o'clock
    and the volume all the way up to 12a nd it sounds like a million for those sustained chords and compressed/colored rythm chunks

I still think the OS
    even though its really great , could be allitle less squashy
    it sounds perfect with my volumepot around 5-6
    after that the attack and the tone becomes abit too mushy and spongy
    But maybe i'll never use it with my volume at full anyway

this is basicly a nerds thread yes! ;)