Mini Bucker in a Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vadsy, Mar 21, 2015.

1. vadsy

vadsy Supporting Member

I would like to try a mini humbucker in the neck of my Tele and something in the bridge that matches fairly well and keeps up. Any suggestions on where I could pick up a set and take the guesswork out of it?

I'm a long time Tele player but only in the standard/tradition single coil configuration. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Tele bridge pickups tend to be a bit hotter so most choices will match up fairly decent to a mini-hum. It is pretty normal to use pickup heights to balance things out.

3. diego

diego Member

Suhr T in the bridge with a Seymourized minihumbucker...

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I currently have a Lollar mini matched up with a Dimarzio 615 Area - both pickups sound good with 500k pots (so there's no wiring issues) and the guitar is dead quiet.

5. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

A Duncan Broadcaster paired with a Duncan SM3 or SM1 is a killer combo.
    The Broadcaster is a little hotter than most and has good mids. It's not overpowered by the mini and they mix very well together.
    I've done it with a 250k volume pot and 500k tone pot. Beautiful matchup.

6. 9-Pin

9-Pin Member

I've also heard good things about the Jerry Donahue Tele pup in the bridge with the SM1.

I haven't tried it myself, but it is planned for the near future.

7. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I'm sure about any good bridge pickup will do the job just fine. I'm a fan of the broadcaster type myself just because the highs are a attenuated a bit and they have a bit higher output but it can still twang pretty good.
    But a vintage style firebird pickup in the neck just sounds an awful lot like a big bold tele neck pickup with some added girth from the humbuckibg double coil setup. It's a great sound. Maybe the most "fender-y" sounding humbucker out there.

8. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Yeah, don't get too picky about matching them until you have them in-axe. I had a Kent Armstrong mini-hb in a Tele and it was awesome. Wound up mated to an old Bill Lawrence, but sounded good with everything.

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Duncan sm1 or 3 with a vintage stack
    Dead quiet, sounds killer.

10. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    :agree or a Gibson LP Deluxe mini with a SD Vintage 54 bridge, the 54 has less mids and is a little brighter.

11. vadsy

vadsy Supporting Member

This has been great, thanks guys!

I should mention that my concern about balance comes from playing in the middle position with both pickups on. I just want to make sure that they are still heard and that in the neck vs bridge it doesn't sound like it has a huge variance. I will try adjusting the height if needed and I'm going to try and use an existing bridge pickup. I have a few laying around, does 10% hotter than the neck still apply to mini humbuckers?

12. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Another vote for the Firebird pickup here: better balance with the bridge and doesn't turn a Tele into something it isn't while still bringing something valuable to the party. Or ... As a different starting point, install a fourway switch: you get a humbucking sound without losing the existing neck sound if/when you want it.

13. DRS

DRS Member

It's what I have. Magic!

14. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Tele with a TV Jones Magnatron in the neck, and a DiMarzio 615 in the bridge. The 'tron still has a tiny bit of 'Fendery' flavor, probably due to the rod magnets, and the bridge pickup matches really well.

15. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

A lot of this can get worked out with the wiring. If you're going to use a true single coil in the bridge it will want to see 250K where the mini will sound better seeing 500K. There are a couple of ways to do this - a Toneshaper lets you have both pickups see the correct resistance, has a treble bleed option and adjustable tone capacitance - makes for an easy wire up.

What like about using the 615 is the fact that both pickups sound good with 500k pots and there isn't a massive tonal disparity - one amp setting works for all three positions.

16. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

I have a partscaster with a Duncan sm-1n in the neck and a Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan in the bridge. I'm using stock Fender Hot Rod '52 tele electronics with 375K pots.

They sound great together. However, the Paul Bunyan is a 9K +, fat, full mids bridge pickup. Not a traditional bright twangy tone.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  17. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

The Dimarzio DP-240 does it for me.
    If you want a Duncan SM-3, I have a mint one laying around if you want it.

18. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I have an Area T in the bridge and a Duncan mini bucker in the neck of a CV50s Tele that's one of 2 main giggers at the moment.

It's the hotter one with ceramic mag that was sitting in my parts bin forever.
    Wired as full bucker its just too hot.

Now I have it wired in parallel with itself and blends very well with the T in the middle.
    On its own it has a single coil flavor but a bit thicker & no hum.

Volume wise with this setup the bridge is a lil hotter which I like.

19. Tele71

Tele71 Gold Supporting Member

This is a late 60s Gibson mini in the neck and a Fender custom shop broadcaster in the bridge. This is a killer combo.
    [​IMG]

This is one I put together for my buddy. A Late 60s Gibby and a Duncan Broadcaster. The Gibby measures right about 6 ohms and the Duncan about 8.1. This guitar gets killer Les Dudeck Les-Paul tone and screamin Tele bridge crunch and twang.

[​IMG]

Great guitars both. I like this combination so much that I keep a supply of minis and match them with various bridge pickups. The gibson minis from about 65-70 are magical...
    Paul

20. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I have an SM1 in the neck and a Duncan Antiquity II in the bridge with 375k pots. I finally found the sweet spot. Basically Fender's previous version of the Hot Rod Tele.