Mini Bucker suggestions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ryguy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Ryguy

Ryguy Supporting Member

I have an Epi Elite Riviera that I love, but I'm looking for some alternative pups. The stock Mini'a are nice, and have a good vintage vibe, but I could use something both a bit fatter, and at the same time clearer. The neck and middle positions can get pretty muddy. There aren't a ton of options, but has anybody tried/compared the Lollars, Duncans, or DiMarzios? The stock Epi's have pole pieces, but I wouldn't be adverse to some firebird style if the had the tone I was looking for.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Lollars. Nothing compares.

:AOK

3. Ryguy

Ryguy Supporting Member

4. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Anderson minis sound sweet; had 3 in a Hollow Cobra.

5. tone4days

tone4days Member

check out the seymour duncan offerings ... really sweet tone ... and the custom shop there can wind ya what you want if the stock offerings arent quite there for ya ..

t4d

6. chappy

chappy Supporting Member

I have Duncan Antiquity II's in my 1994 U.S.A. Riviera and like them a lot. They are definitely not muddy and the bridge is a little thicker sounding than the stock unit. The Lollars might be a good option as well but I have no experience with Jason's mini's. Jason's p90's are great though.

7. MCG

MCG Member

Ryguy,

Before you change them out, you could try adjusting the pickup heights and that of the polepices. Any way it worth a shot before you change them out.

And BTW I used to have a set of "Seymour-ized" minis form duncan. They were nice.

MCG

8. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

9. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Love the set in my Avatar. Highly recommended.

10. Tinman

Tinman Member

If you want to try something new on the cheap, I've got a set of brand new Kent Armstrong minis on ebay right now, and there hasn't been much interest in them. Right now they are at $79 for the pair.

11. ROKY

ROKY Member

I have a set of these in a Hamer Eclipse(slab mahoghany LP Spec. style guitar)
    and they are very,very good !

12. Ryguy

Ryguy Supporting Member

thanks for all the responses. I also have an old mini from a 70's Lester deluxe that I haven't tried yet, so. Part of the problem is that swapping the pups in a 335 style is such a PITA, that I'm trying to round up as many recommendations as possible before doing it. I am definitely leaning towards the Lollars, as I really like his P-90's, but they are a pricey.

Clorenzo, that first clip is killer. This Riviera is actually all Mahogany, no maple, and with the mini's it screams. Get's big and fat, but still cuts. The pups are US made in the ELite's, but again they get a bit too muddy when overdriven.

13. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have Duncan Antiquity Firebird pickups in my Hamer Eclipse. They are a little different than traditional mini-humuckers but they do what you say you want.

14. TonyV

TonyV Member

Rio Babybuckers
    I have them in a Hamer Eclipse. Open sounding, good rock tone. Loves all amps. And they look cool.
    http://www.riograndepickups.com/4.html (near the bottom of the page)

I also have used and like the Seymore Duncan mini humbuckers, but many people have said they sound a bit muffled. I have not had that experience at all. I know there were two versions of them the ones I had were made in the mid 90s. Responded WAY better to Fender (6L6) amps than to EL34 or EL84.