Mini Compressor for a Rickenbacker

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I am thinking about adding a mini compressor to my small board for when I play my Rickenbacker to get increased jangly tones, but I'm not really sure which one would best fit my needs. I'm torn at the moment between the Xotic SP and the Keeley Mini Compressor. I have the new Empress Compressor on my main pedalboard, and it's wonderful--the nicest-sounding compressor I have ever played. (Super quiet too.) The Empress works great when I play my Ric, but it also makes my clean tone so much better with my other guitars too. So ideally I'd like to find something similar to the Empress but in a smaller box.

Any suggestions?

transmission

Fairfield Accountant is pretty good. Have one on my board for clean tones, but sadly no Ric to go with it.

Mooer Yellow comp is a Diamond clone, for a cheaper option.

radiocure

Silver Supporting Member
The only one that comes to mind is the Wampler mini Ego. I'm sure you've thought about this one. It appears to give you more control than the ones you mentioned, but I've never played one, so I'm going purely on the controls on the pedal.

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
Is the Empress an optical comp?
Not it isn't, its an FET https://www.gearank.com/gear/empress-effects-compressor-analog-guitar-compression-pedal

However after having the big box diamond and big box empress side by side, they are not as different as one might first expect. I found the diamond added more color and loved the tone control with my Rics. I used to have a 360/12 and still have my 360/6. The mooer yellow comp would be recommendation since Diamond is no more and even their Jr is pretty big compared to the mooer.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Fairfield Accountant is pretty good. Have one on my board for clean tones, but sadly no Ric to go with it.

Mooer Yellow comp is a Diamond clone, for a cheaper option.
Thanks. Never even heard of that so I'll check it out.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
The only one that comes to mind is the Wampler mini Ego. I'm sure you've thought about this one. It appears to give you more control than the ones you mentioned, but I've never played one, so I'm going purely on the controls on the pedal.
Wasn't aware of this one either. Will have to check it out. And yeah, looks like you do a bit more control with the Wampler. Thanks!

slowburn

I just bought the Keeley mini seems to work pretty nice. Admittedly it’s only my second compressor but I like that it’s easy to use and hard to get a bad sound from it. Like it with single coils so far. Will experiment with humbuckers tomorrow.

I use a Diamond Comp Jr with my 360/6, I'm a big fan. Though admittedly I'm thinking of going the other way - I'm interested in the Strymon Compadre for presets, switchable studio/squishy functionality, and the added treble/mid boost. I can set up a preset just for the Rick, and have it set differently for other guitars.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
hey Jess,
Too bad about the size limitation, otherwise I'd suggest killing both your 'appropriate OD' and the (optical) compressor in one box:

Marc's Rubber Soul.
It is very good, for me.

But : 'Mini it is not'

Having the right OD and the comp in one box might be the same real estate as 2 minis... ymmv

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
The Wampler Ego Mini is no joke. Great compressor in a tiny package. I have 2 Cali76s and the Ego is my 2nd in line.

That being said, if the Empress is optical (I’m not sure I’ve never used one), it’ll be a different sound. The Ego is a Ross style comp.

kiki_90291

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Diamond Comp Jr with my 360/6, I'm a big fan. Though admittedly I'm thinking of going the other way - I'm interested in the Strymon Compadre for presets, switchable studio/squishy functionality, and the added treble/mid boost. I can set up a preset just for the Rick, and have it set differently for other guitars.
Not to derail the thread, but if you get a Compadre, be sure to post a review. From the description, it sounds like it would be ideal for a Ric (compression plus treble boost). I'm curious to hear if it works in practice.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom