• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

mini-connectors for pickup swaps?

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
Just wondering if it is possible to solder mini-leads to a switch and do pickup wire "connectors" for a fast, easy pickup changes. Is this advisable and if so, what connectors could be small enough to use? I would love to give my guitar a little different flavour every once in a while, but really don't want to resolder connections if it's not absolutely necessary. Any advice is welcome....
Thanks,
Barnzy

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
...and if not connectors...is there some kind of a terminal strip that would work well for this?
Barnzy

Chris Scott

2-lead Molex (snap-fit polarized) connectors will work fine - like the stuff you'll find on ANY car, motorcycle or even amps.

Auto parts or electronic supply store, poss. even Radio Shack.

Jef Bardsley

I think terminal strips are a good idea, as they'll take bare wires so you can skip a step when installing pickups. Size may be the biggest issue - try to find some for low-voltage applications as the standard ones are made large enough to prevent arcing @ 440V (your basic 3-phase service for heavy industry).

Chris Scott

I think terminal strips are a good idea, as they'll take bare wires so you can skip a step when installing pickups. Size may be the biggest issue - try to find some for low-voltage applications as the standard ones are made large enough to prevent arcing @ 440V (your basic 3-phase service for heavy industry).
...yeah, but if you use the std. ones, then you can use 10-12 gauge wire, for...(wait for it)...

...MOAR TONE!!!:band:aok

I think Jef's idea's probably better though, as repeated swaps with Molex connectors hanging off the switch might come adrift over time, yet flying leads to a terminal strip might just be the ticket, as it's less stuff to get in the way, as well as slightly less mass - maybe 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other?

Rockledge

I have done it before with butt end tube connectors, it worked great. I have also done it on strats with just the jack plate wires and ground to make taking the faceplate off easier.

Jef Bardsley

Our tech once used RCA inline jacks with good results on a Les Paul - they worked well with the braided cable, but were a pain to solder.

Molex connectors are great, but better with the proper crimper and the little tube used to get the pins out.

RJ11s or RJ45s might be good for a Strat as one small connector could handle all three pickups. Again, the proper tool is a plus.

But now you've got me thinking about it, I may try terminal blocks, myself. I've had yards of alligator leads hanging out of my guitars for too long. ;)
(I'm pretty settled on pickups, but I experiment with pots and caps a lot.)

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
A Music Man Albert Lee that I used to own had some sort of snapping connectors stock from the factory.

Rockledge

Allparts could probably make some bucks on mini blocks that are made like the spring loaded speaker connects on the back of receivers.

m-m-m

Some EMG (the HZ line and others maybe) have similar quick connectors. The pickup has the male end, and the wires plug into it.

Quarter

You can find small polarized quick connectors at most any hobby store that deals in RC gear. They are used a lot for making up battery packs.

Another option is Seymour Duncan's Liberator If a person was so inclined, it would be easy enough to just buy the mini terminal blocks from Mouser, etc and build something standalone.

m-m-m

You can find small polarized quick connectors at most any hobby store that deals in RC gear. They are used a lot for making up battery packs.

Another option is Seymour Duncan's Liberator If a person was so inclined, it would be easy enough to just buy the mini terminal blocks from Mouser, etc and build something standalone.

that's pretty cool!

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
Wow...I've got some research to do...thanks for all the leads everyone!(...no pun intended....) If anyone else has some ideas, I'd love to see 'em. I really want to follow up with the Music Man Albert Lee "snap connector" solution.
Barnzy

mullytron

We used to use these military polarized/hermaphrodite plugs, for signal and ground, and swap Strat guards, I think they were out of helicopters and other aviation electronics.

Trending Topics