Mini HB for the bridge of a Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jerryfan6, Apr 17, 2016.

1. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking of putting a mini Humbucker in the bridge of my Strat, to make it more versatile. I never use the stock bridge pickup.

Which pickup do you recommend? It's an American Standard Strat, and I'd want to new pickup largely for classic rock'ish overdriven tones. Nothing too modern or heavy.

2. ontariomaximus

ontariomaximus Member

A Dimarzio SDS-1 should be considered. Good P90 tone which is the soul of a lot of rock and roll. Otherwise a lil 59 would work. The problem I have is the angle - the treble strings just too close to the bridge.

3. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

The problem you're referring to, is that the same for any mini HB put into a Strat?

4. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Worth a look.

scott944 likes this.
  5. tony67

tony67 Member

I loooooooved my Seymour Duncan Little '59 in the bridge of my Strat. Not super-hot but definitely a step up from a stock single coil. PERFECT for classic rock & could easily do more if put into a high gain amp setting as well.

CubanB likes this.
  6. CubanB

CubanB Member

Very happy with Lil 59 here (wish a push pull for series/parallel) and it makes me want to explore the mini JB, Screamin Demon and Dimarzio TZ and Super Distortion. Those are higher gain options, and I'd want to pair them with something similar in the neck most likely.

The beauty of the Lil 59 is that it pairs quite well with single coils, especially at the right pickup heights. With the Lil 59 I pretty much use it as a regular strat, I just hit the push pull for a HB boost.

I don't mind it's sound with high gain either. It's not a true HB voice, it's some sort of hybrid between the two and I like that because it still sounds stratty. Like above said, it's great for classic rock. I actually really like it for Satriani like soloing, I like the mids it has. But it pulls off the classic rock stuff easily, but be aware that the low end isn't the same as a full HB. And the treble isn't the same as a true SC even in parallel. I like the low end it has, but for some they might prefer the real thing (a true HB). This sits halfway in between but is noiseless and I like that. It's got characteristics of both HB's and SC's which I find pretty cool.

7. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

Lil 59 for Strat is incredible. I used to have it in my bridge position, but now I have it in the middle, wired for parallel. Amazing tone.

8. shane8

shane8 Member

9. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

My #1 for so many years--before I was able to get my hands on a good hardtail--was an Am Std Strat with a mini-hum in the bridge.
    I took that guitar around the world and played countless gigs with it.
    My original intention was a Filter'Tron, but this was back in the late 80s, no later than '91, and you really couldn't get 'Trons without buying and stripping an old Gretsch.
    I used a Duncan 'Seymourized' model, quite possibly a neck version as it was the only one I could find.
    I remember quite vividly all the 'established' guitar people thinking I was nuts, especially wanting a 'Tron in my Strat.
    My, how times change.
    That Duncan mini fit that Strat like a glove! Full, but bright. No ice pick. All the good of Fender but with added girth to hang with my band mate's Les Paul.
    My nephew has the guitar now and has for a few years. I just set it up last Christmas. The Duncan mini is still in there and sounds awesome!

10. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

You might consider a Fralin SP42 in the bridge, a standard size single coil with P90 properties.

11. mikebat

mikebat Member

I have a JB Jr, and while many pan it, it sounds pretty damn good. Enough so that when I talked about going back to the stock bridge pickup, Ted STevenson of PWE amps/guitars/pickups said "why? That pickup sounds great in that guitar."

The one caveat, position 2, bridge and middle, sounds incredibly thin and more or less unusable except as a special effect.

12. scott944

scott944 Member

Another option, if what you want is a Strat sound, but with more "oomph" and less high end - Dimarzio Virtual Solo. Wire up a tone control and it can pass for a humbucker with gain. (Yes, I know - it is a (stacked) humbucker)