Mini Humbuckers in Teles...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FireBottle, Sep 8, 2008.

1. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I'm thinking about putting a Little '59 in my Tele for more hard rock versatility...anyone out there have opinions on the tone of this or other mini-humbucker pups? Otherwise, I may look into some hotter single coils...

2. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

Oops...I thought you were going to ask about mini buckers like they put in Les Paul Deluxes back in the early 70's. They work killer as tele neck pickups. But I guess that wasn't the question...

3. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I had the same impression about the mini humbucker. the lil 59er is what I suppose is technically called a single coil sized humbucker.

I've used a duncan JB jr with excellent results. It's one of my go-to pickups for just about anything with any amount of gain. You can get a JB jr for a tele from duncan, but I think it's a special order.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

I played with a guy at a jam a couple of weeks ago that had one. It was cool to go from the Tele twang to a humbucker in the neck tone!

5. Curly

Curly Member

I'm starting a thinline project with mini hum in the neck. I'm using a Duncan LP Deluxe style mini.

I've wanted to do a tele like this ever since I asked my friend Pete Quigley down in FLA what he used in his vintage tele, and he told me he was using a Firebird pickup.

6. Scottone

Scottone Supporting Member

Yep, I like the mini-hum in the neck postion..

[​IMG]

7. motis1953

motis1953 Member

Jim Weider's favorite tele has this setup and he kills with it.

8. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I have a johnny ramone style Mosrite that has a mini hum in the neck and a JB jr in the bridge. Very nice tone.

9. improv4

improv4 Member

I think the recent '59 Tele Hot Rod has the mini-HB at the neck and that sounds pretty amazing. I've played one in store and also heard it in a live setting; great sounds!

10. ungarn

ungarn Member

+1 Holy crap I LOVE the duncan mini humbucker that came stock in my fender hot rod 52 tele...definitely one of the top reasons for me purchasing the guitar...

11. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Just about as good?!? Sounds better to me. has the best attributes of a single coil and humbucker. Sounds wonderful for clean and kills for overdrive.

12. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

I had an old Tele that I dropped a Quarter Pound neck pickup and a Hotrails bridge pickup in. It was a classic rock machine!

Mids for days and drove the front end of my amp like no other guitar I've ever had. I sold it because I don't play classic stuff, so it didn't suite me, but it sure was fun!

13. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Funny, you were talking about stacked or rails-style humbuckers, and everyone goes off on the classic Gibson Firebird/Deluxe type mini-humbuckers. And strangely, I just put one of those back in my Tele last night, after playing EMG for a while. They're KILLER pickups in Telecasters, and combine really well with the traditional bridge pickup (I'm now using a Bill Lawrence USA 250TB for the bridge, which you might like).

IMHO, Telecasters, even stock ones, are the most versatile electric guitars made. HUGE range of sounds! And they can do hard rock, too, if your amp/pedals are up for it. Be sure to roll off the tone control some... actually using the tone/volume controls is the key to great Tele sound. Leave everything up all the way like you would on a Gibson or a Strat and it'll icepick you.

Here's another secret to try that you might find less expense/hassle than changing the pickup. Try using an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 "Linear Power Booster" pedal. This is NOT a "linear" pedal! It's a boost rather than overdrive, but it puts some very distinctive spikes in the frequency response at just the right places. Downstream OD/distortion pedals LOVE it, and you can use it to raise the relatively low Tele output up to hotter than hell levels. Mine is pretty much always on, and only with the Tele. For $40 new, it's worth a try!

You might also want to try a Rangemaster-style treble booster pedal. Sounds crazy with a Tele I know, but it might work for you. Same idea as the LPB... it gooses up frequencies that make overdrives happy. But treble boosters tend to be boutique and pricy relative to the LPB.

14. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Ok here is a little tale:

I bought an 2008 AM Std Telecaster
    After a month i was about to sell it, changed the pickups to a TA ttv1 and tv3 and never looked back.
    I won't change it for anything in the world now.
    A friend of mine told me if he had 1500 he would give em to me in order to take the guitar off my hands, i don't know if he loved the guitar so much the day he played with it or if he hated me playing thru it yet:D

Try the Tom Anderson pups and you will be amazed.

My guitar now rocks, gently seepws, cries, sings, loves!!!!!

15. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

A minibucker, P90 or full sized humbucker in the neck of a Tele gives it all sorts of expanded tonal options. A big plus 1 from me on sticking one of the 3 in there.

16. Prairie Belt

Prairie Belt Member

My tele has had a Duncan Antiquity mini-hum (the non-firebird kind) in the neck position for the past six months. Sounds great, and it's a nice contrast to the bridge PU.

17. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I have an old Gibson Mini in mine, sounds great.
    [​IMG]

18. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I have just taken a JB jnr out of my tele, it was great with dirt, crunchy and big, but I just couldn't get a good clean tone out of it.

If you play dirty - go for it.