Mini Mixer for Fuzzes in Parallel?

Chandyland

I tried searching before posting this, but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.

I'm wanting to run a few (three) fuzz pedals in parallel with the dry signal using a Voodoo Lab HEX to switch the pedals, and I was just wondering what sort of mixer I should use to achieve this. I'll need something with four inputs and one mono output, preferably for as little money as possible. I found this, but I'm wary of Behringer because of their relatively poor guitar products.

Can anyone recommend a mixer that would be good for this use? I just want something that won't noticeably color the tone of the pedals or the dry signal.

cutlunch

Silver Supporting Member
http://woundedpaw.com

Blender V4
$245.00
4 parallel effects loops with individual stomp switches to select each, all or any combination of channels.
Channel A will default to a clean channel if nothing is plugged into it's return jack.
Channel A/Clean has a Baxandall type tone section: bass and treble controls with boost and cut. The tone section comes after the effects loop so it acts on the return signal.
Loops C & D have a rotary switch to go from parallel to series with C>D or D>C.
Phase switches on loops B, C, and D.
New to the Blender V4 is the ability to change the bypass settings for each effects loop. When the individual effects loop is turned off a toggle switch allows you to select what gets sent from that effects loop to the Blender's output: either the return of the pedal in the effects loop (to allow trails of delay type pedals to continue), a clean instrument signal, or nothing (muted).
One major advantage of this set up is to allow the total signal level sent to the final output of the Blender V4 to remain constant when the various effects loops are bypassed but also allow massive flexibility in shaping your sound and changing it on the fly.
Instruction Manual pdf
  • True bypass stomp switch to turn the entire unit on/off.
  • Heavy duty 8.7" x 5.7" x 2.1" Hammond aluminum enclosure
  • Can use DC adaptors from 9 to 18 volts, with a tip negative jack. Standard pedal adaptors like Boss PSA, Godlyke Powerall, Onespot.
  • Current draw: 280mA
  • Input impedance: 500kΩ
  • Output impedance: 150Ω (at 1KHz)

Last edited:

Chandyland

This would be perfect, but I would really prefer something with 3 effect inputs. Good suggestion, though, thanks!

I don't know, just wanted to say I love how you think.
:beer

http://woundedpaw.com

Blender V4
$245.00
4 parallel effects loops with individual stomp switches to select each, all or any combination of channels.
Channel A will default to a clean channel if nothing is plugged into it's return jack.
Channel A/Clean has a Baxandall type tone section: bass and treble controls with boost and cut. The tone section comes after the effects loop so it acts on the return signal.
Loops C & D have a rotary switch to go from parallel to series with C>D or D>C.
Phase switches on loops B, C, and D.
New to the Blender V4 is the ability to change the bypass settings for each effects loop. When the individual effects loop is turned off a toggle switch allows you to select what gets sent from that effects loop to the Blender's output: either the return of the pedal in the effects loop (to allow trails of delay type pedals to continue), a clean instrument signal, or nothing (muted).
One major advantage of this set up is to allow the total signal level sent to the final output of the Blender V4 to remain constant when the various effects loops are bypassed but also allow massive flexibility in shaping your sound and changing it on the fly.
Instruction Manual pdf
  • True bypass stomp switch to turn the entire unit on/off.
  • Heavy duty 8.7" x 5.7" x 2.1" Hammond aluminum enclosure
  • Can use DC adaptors from 9 to 18 volts, with a tip negative jack. Standard pedal adaptors like Boss PSA, Godlyke Powerall, Onespot.
  • Current draw: 280mA
  • Input impedance: 500kΩ
  • Output impedance: 150Ω (at 1KHz)
Oh wow that looks awesome! ...and really expensive. I was hoping for something kind of inexpensive. Not really wanting to spend nearly $250 on a mixer for three pedals and a dry signal. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
How are you planning to split the signal before hitting the fuzzes? I ask because many fuzzes will not like any active circuitry before them - o splitting the signal to multiple fuzzes can be a challenge.

Chandyland

I was planning on using a Voodoo Lab HEX, which I believe uses all passive circuitry up until the final output. I could be wrong, though, as I can't find anything on the VL product page that says that specifically.

fred_

Well, Wounded Paw (the maker of the blender pedal referenced in a previous post) also makes a mini-mixer, http://woundedpaw.com/fx/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=15 that might work for you.

I've had several of their pedals and they are excellent, and the buffers in his blender/mixer pedals are awesome! Also the builder, Preston, is a really great guy. Super good customer service. No affiliation, btw, just a happy customer of theirs.

dllb

I was planning on using a Voodoo Lab HEX, which I believe uses all passive circuitry up until the final output. I could be wrong, though, as I can't find anything on the VL product page that says that specifically.
A passive splitter can also cause problems with parallel fuzzes due to the potential input impedance issues that might change the tone of the fuzzes.

Chandyland

Well, Wounded Paw (the maker of the blender pedal referenced in a previous post) also makes a mini-mixer, http://woundedpaw.com/fx/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=15 that might work for you.

I've had several of their pedals and they are excellent, and the buffers in his blender/mixer pedals are awesome! Also the builder, Preston, is a really great guy. Super good customer service. No affiliation, btw, just a happy customer of theirs.
That looks perfect for what I was wanting! Thanks so much for pointing that out.

A passive splitter can also cause problems with parallel fuzzes due to the potential input impedance issues that might change the tone of the fuzzes.
Ah, that's fair. Luckily, the fuzzes I'm planning on using aren't too terribly picky about impedance values, so it shouldn't be a huge deal. I'll keep an eye (ear) out for that, though.

dllb

Ah, that's fair. Luckily, the fuzzes I'm planning on using aren't too terribly picky about impedance values, so it shouldn't be a huge deal. I'll keep an eye (ear) out for that, though.
They might not have impedance problems when you use them individually, but when you run them in parallel your pickup is seeing the input impedance of all the fuzzes at the same time. That will lower the input impedance to all the fuzzes even if they all have high input impedance when used individually. Adding resistance in parallel lowers the total resistance that the pickup will see. If they all have 1M resistors on the input, when you put four in parallel the resistance will drop to 250K.

fahqicehole

As others have said, splitting to fuzzes is tricky. I'd figure out a way to test before buying if you can. I've tried it with mixed results. They will still work, but they may not have the same response/tone/output...

Also, you may need those polarity switches, as some circuits can flip the phase of your signal.

I have a wounded paw blender v4 that I purchased used from a forum member. I would recommend it to anyone looking for the features. Excellent sound and build quality.

Best of luck with fuzz wall. It's cool to have tools that let your pedals interact in different ways.

Chandyland

They might not have impedance problems when you use them individually, but when you run them in parallel your pickup is seeing the input impedance of all the fuzzes at the same time. That will lower the input impedance to all the fuzzes even if they all have high input impedance when used individually. Adding resistance in parallel lowers the total resistance that the pickup will see. If they all have 1M resistors on the input, when you put four in parallel the resistance will drop to 250K.
Shoot that is a bigger problem... If they're all fuzzes that still sound good with buffers, though, could I just use a buffer between the guitar and fuzzes to solve that problem? Obviously that wouldn't be the ideal way to run them, but that should keep things fairly consistent, correct?

dllb

Yeah, putting a buffered splitter in front will avoid the impedance problems and keep the tone more consistent.

909one

So I run one parallel efx loop in my pedal chain, essentially to run an EHX Super Ego on a different set of effects than my dry signal. I know the Super Ego has an effects loop, but it still doesn't prevent the Super Ego sound from getting processed by delays and reverbs after it. I split the signal from the tuner out of my Ernie Ball volume pedal and then combine the signal again with a very simple passive mixer I built. It does cut the volume a little bit so you have to add a boost pedal after the mixer to add some make-up gain.
I can find the schematic for the passive mixer if you want it, its very easy to build if you have basic soldering iron skills.

Chandyland

So I run one parallel efx loop in my pedal chain, essentially to run an EHX Super Ego on a different set of effects than my dry signal. I know the Super Ego has an effects loop, but it still doesn't prevent the Super Ego sound from getting processed by delays and reverbs after it. I split the signal from the tuner out of my Ernie Ball volume pedal and then combine the signal again with a very simple passive mixer I built. It does cut the volume a little bit so you have to add a boost pedal after the mixer to add some make-up gain.
I can find the schematic for the passive mixer if you want it, its very easy to build if you have basic soldering iron skills.
Thank you for the offer, but I think I would rather have something active. I'm also not really in any mood to solder anything right now haha.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, but many fuzzes don't like a buffer between them and the guitar, thus my initial question. If it's a Boss and a Muff, likely no issues. If they are germanium fuzz faces, may be less successful...

Yeah, putting a buffered splitter in front will avoid the impedance problems and keep the tone more consistent.

Chandyland

might try http://www.loop-master.com

They can build whatever you need for a VERY reasonable price. long wait time though. I've been waiting for a simple 4 channel patch bay for over a month now.
Oh, I didn't even think about Loopmaster. I might have to shoot them an email for a quote. No kidding on the wait, though: I bought a (very) simple passive splitter from them a couple years ago and I want to say it took six full weeks.

Trending Topics