Mini Pedals

PedalCrazyFool

I have the Kokko Vibe & Phaser. While it’s at the bottom of the rungs all my Vibe pedals the Phaser is a lot better than you would think. It’s good, and I have a bunch.

The Vibe is “meh”, BUT, there’s a few settings that do quite nicely if you don’t use a Vibe for much.

Dave...

mikekim

Big Mooer, Rowin and Wampler fan.

This is my Grab and go jam board.

Wampler Tunmus
Mooer Blues crab
Mooer Black secret
Mooer Ensemble chorus
Rowin Tape echo
Rowin Ocean verb

All in a firefly m6 case..

Powered by a 1amp One Spot

Also have a Mooer e-lady on my main board.

strat68

I've never owned an OD-1 or CE-2, but am satisfied with the tones each pedal produces.

The OD-10 is a warm and punchy low to medium gain drive that can either serve as a decent standalone dirtbox or add bite to an amp's gain channel when used as a boost. If my picking technique were a bit more precise when palm muting single note runs, it would be possible to nail some amazing 80's hard rock and metal lead tones with the overdrive knob at 2:00 and beyond.
I have an OD-1 from about 1980. I also got the the Valeton OD-10 used from a TGP'er last week. Side by side into a Fender Champ "II" (a sort of non-reverb princeton) going through a Weber Californian 12" spkr. The boss pedal kills the Valeton**. Side by side the Valeton sounds like a toy, with huge loss of bass response. That said, in it's current state with both knobs around noon, the Valeton OD-10 performs quite well as a quasi rangemaster treble or midrange booster. I was able to get some decent sounds out of it in a live situation, but the original boss won't be for sale unless it starts fetching 4 digits LOL.

I think the people that are doing the reverse engineering, are only doing just that. They do not have the knowledge or experience of those who have been futzing with these pedals for many years. In other words, they may not be cloning "the good ones."

**My OD-1 was modded by Analogman about 5 years ago. I thought I had only done the power supply "ACA" fix, but going through my emails with Mike, I now remember that I got the vintage chip mod, which was the 14 pin Raytheon that they used in the first few runs. He had also discovered that a cap change alone can get you near the sound of the original without going to back to the 14 pin chip. So while my Boss OD-1 is technically modded, it is believed to be placed back to original spec of the '77 ones.

So my guess with these valetons and other mini pedals (like those that make fulltone OCD clones) is that the cloners probably grabbed any old OD-1 and did not cherry pick the best one to clone. Or they are a step ahead creating a future pipeline, and will offer a custom shop variety in a few years to get double sales out of us.

strat68

Got my Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini today.

I'm a TS geek, so I really had to try it - it took me a lot of restraint to wait until now! ...don't quote me on this, but maybe the Mini is more-so an 808. ... I want a TS in all its glory, including the midrange. The vintage TS9's are staying right at home on my pedalboard.
By the look of the enclosure, I would only expect that the Ibanez mini in green with similar graphics to be a re-issue of the original 808. Not sure why the comparison and disappointment when comparing to the 9? Sure it's apples to apples, but the write-up sounds you're expecting the Red Delicious to taste like a Granny Smith.

Ibanez is probably pipelining as well, with 9 mini's coming out next year.

Last edited:

Heady Jam Fan

By the look of the enclosure, I would only expect that the Ibanez mini in green with the square switch is a re-issue of the original 808. Not sure why the comparison and disappointment when comparing to the 9? Sure it's apples to apples, but the write-up sounds you're expecting the Red Delicious to taste like a Granny Smith.

Ibanez is probably pipelining as well, with 9 mini's coming out next year.
I'm confused: you say it's apples to apples, but I shouldn't compare? They are both Ibanez Tube Screamers: it's fair to compare a TS to a Fuzz Face IMO, both still pedals and someone can have a preference. I was interested in comparing the Mini to my Vintage 9's and I'm just sharing my preference. Not that the mini was bad, just wasn't my preferred pedal - if you like the Mini, power to ya! And my opinion doesn't mean you can't like it, or it isn't a good pedal. If you saw my other posts, I was tentative about the Mini, so certainly not expecting a Red Delicious to taste like a Granny Smith - I expected differences, and I simply posted what I heard as the differences when compared side-by-side to two vintage TS9's. A lot of TS fans out there who want to know how different options stack up - hopefully my comparison is helpful to others, because I would have been interested in that info myself. I wanted to like the Mini more than I did: I'd love to have smaller pedals and to sell my Vintage 9's for the $3-400 these things are fetching these days, but the mini just didn't cut it for me, just like other TS clones or boutique modded ones didn't cut it, from the Red Dirt to the Silver Mod. If I didn't have my vintage TS9's, I would probably go with completely stock Ibanez TS9's (as long as they have the 4558D chip). If Ibanez makes a mini that is voiced like a 9, I'd definitely be interested in trying that as well!

I have a whole slew of those mini pedals, and made a board for home use. Haven't gigged yet other than an open mic, but I am sure they would hang just fine.

strat68

I'm confused: you say it's apples to apples, but I shouldn't compare? They are both Ibanez Tube Screamers: it's fair to compare a TS to a Fuzz Face IMO, both still pedals and someone can have a preference. I was interested in comparing the Mini to my Vintage 9's and I'm just sharing my preference. Not that the mini was bad, just wasn't my preferred pedal - if you like the Mini, power to ya! And my opinion doesn't mean you can't like it, or it isn't a good pedal. If you saw my other posts, I was tentative about the Mini, so certainly not expecting a Red Delicious to taste like a Granny Smith - I expected differences, and I simply posted what I heard as the differences when compared side-by-side to two vintage TS9's. A lot of TS fans out there who want to know how different options stack up - hopefully my comparison is helpful to others, because I would have been interested in that info myself. I wanted to like the Mini more than I did: I'd love to have smaller pedals and to sell my Vintage 9's for the $3-400 these things are fetching these days, but the mini just didn't cut it for me, just like other TS clones or boutique modded ones didn't cut it, from the Red Dirt to the Silver Mod. If I didn't have my vintage TS9's, I would probably go with completely stock Ibanez TS9's (as long as they have the 4558D chip). If Ibanez makes a mini that is voiced like a 9, I'd definitely be interested in trying that as well!
Wow, I should have thrown a couple smileys in there. Sorry wasn't intending to be rude. Hopefully, all who post here live in a free country and you can compare a Univibe to a TS-9 if you so desire (big smiley :) ). Your post was helpful, I thought I read it that you were disappointed and flipped or sent back the mini, because it wasn't like the nine. If I got that wrong sorry, no offense intended. I never loved my original 1981 TS-9 so I sold it when they were going for crazy money.

My "TS" sound when I need it is the lovepedal eternity burst. I forget what the designer had in mind i.e. if he was copying a TS or not, but I just like it. And if on a boss kick as I am now, my analogman SD-1/808 silver. I may try the mini for kicks but I think I want the OD-850 first from ibanez. Different animal, I know. And for low/medium OD, the next will be N-UX take on the bluesbreaker.

Squatch57

Eno Unparallel phaser
MythFX Infinium delay/ring mod/ filter
MythFX Triton reverb/trem/flanger
Mooer Tender Octaver
Donner Yellow Fall delay
Mooer Graphic G

Last edited:

Sabu68

These minis are worth $45. E.Q. Has No range. The delay has No range. Mini knobs are Silly. Gimmick. Y did I buy the 2nd??

iama

I have a bunch of mini pedals. I don't use all of them all the time, just grab what I need for any given gig or practice, but most of them are excellent. A couple of standouts that come to mind:

Mooer Funky Monkey - great LFO based autowah. In a pinch it can double as a phaser too. I use it as a wah and also for the phaser sounds in Ain't Talkin Bout Love. Possibly my favorite pedal ever.

Eno Rat clone

Mooer OCD clone

Eno/EX ES-9 which is a TS9 clone

Tone City Bad Horse - seems like a decent Klone but I don't use it much, I guess the Klon tone isn't much to my liking.

Mooer RC Boost clone

Xotic SL

Xotic SP

Tone City Black Tea - Clone of the Carl Martin vox pedal? Sounds great. I hardly ever use it though because I use my amp's dirt and also I have a ton of other dirt pedals.

Joyo Quattro - great sounding delay but very little headroom - if you feed it too hot of a signal it distorts

Mosky EP Boost - sounds great but I'm still looking for a use for it. I don't like the bass boost it gives. It does add a really nice chime to the high end though.

Mosky SHO - great simple clean boost.

Mosky Spring Reverb - looks like a clone of one of the Malekko pedals. By far the best spring reverb pedal I've ever played through.

Mosky Timmy clone - have one on the way at the time of this post.

Some duds that stand out because of how bad they are:

Mooer @wah -- horrible, horrible pedal. I was so disappointed by it after how much I like the Funky Monkey. I hoped it would be a Funky Monkey with more options.

Mooer Mod Factory - Another horrible toy. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't cause a HUGE volume drop when engaged. It's basically unusable in a live setting. The modulations are pretty weak too.

Rowin Trelicopter - When I ordered it, I thought it would be the same as the Mooer since it has the same name. It's not. The trem effect is so subtle, even at max settings, it's all but useless and will not be noticeable in a live setting. My old Rogue tremolo pedal is way better. Complete waste of $30.

I have a bunch more that I can't remember off the top of my head.
+1 on the Rowin Trelicopter. Useless. Returned it same day.
Wish I felt the same on the Mosky Spring Reverb. Meh. Sold it.

strat68

I know there are quite a few MIAB mini's out there, but is there a Marshall Guv'nor style mini that is as well done as say, for example, the Mooer Black Secret is to the non-led RAT?

sliberty

These minis are worth $45. E.Q. Has No range. The delay has No range. Mini knobs are Silly. Gimmick. Y did I buy the 2nd??
I have a Donner EQ, and I agree - the range is crap. But I have a Mosky Blue Delay, and used to have a Donner Yellow Fall, they both had plenty of range. And I absolutely love the HOF Mini, Blues Crab, and several of the others.

Heady Jam Fan

I figured I'd follow up... I still love my Mooer Tender Octaver (the original, not the crappy new version). However, I found my Mosky pedals were causing more problems than good.

The Mosky Spring Reverb sounded a lot like similar digital reverb pedals - Faux-Fender if your not listening closely (bright, splashy), but more like a slap-back delay if you pay attention. However, my complaint was that it really diminished the attack of my guitar, at least in my rig (it was in my Mesa effect loop). When I did my "yearly check up" (taking out all my pedals and seeing if the guitar>amp sounds better), I realized it was really castrating my sound / feel: I play a Mark-series through an EV with Joe Barden pickups because I want as much punch as I can get!

The Mosky MM Silver sounded good at low gain settings, but it doesn't have the refinement or definition in the low-end that the Timmy has. I happened across an Amp Eleven, and I could not get the bass the match between the 2 pedals. The MM has a role-off in the low-end that cannot be corrected by dialing up the bass knob, rather it adds low mids that resulted in a muddier sound compared to the Amp 11. Maybe its okay with you don't mind a bit of mid-push, but I struggled to overlook that tonal artifacts the MM imparts. I found the MM and Amp 11 a little too smooth and compressed (overdriven) in low frequency ranges than I wanted for a low-gain overdrive with my Joe Bardens, so I'm trying a Blues Breaker clone, which tends to overdrive in the top-end first.

Trending Topics