Mini Rectifier doesn't sound as good as modeler at lower volumes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by still.ill, Apr 22, 2016.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

I recently bought a Rectifier and the matching 1x12 slant cab... the main amp I was using before hand was a Fender Mustang II set on the Fender Princeton model with 4x12G cab simulation. For dirt I was using a Barber Direct Drive, and it was pretty decent sound for an apartment setup. By lower volumes I meant more of a TV volume, above whisper quiet but not enough to annoy neighbors.

I was surprised the Rectifier sounds smaller than the Mustang. The clean sounds great, but the od channels sound fizzy to me. Also the clean channel doesn't seem to like my Barber Direct Drive as much either.

I guess I learned the hard way that tubes (or maybe its just the mini rectifier) don't mean everything... :(

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    slybird likes this.
  2. 8len8

8len8 Member

Sir, with that title I think you may have posted in the wrong forum ;)

3. Sarutobi sasuke

Sarutobi sasuke Member

i don't know why it comes as a surprise. i would have thought by now it would be common knowledge. at low volumes, s.s. beats tube almost every time. with so many bedroom players out there, there have to be huge piles of people who learned this the hard way. however, i think what fools some people are pedals. sitting in your living room playing your jcm and a 2x12 teuned way down low, then using a pedal to get dirt kinda kills off the tube tone you might have gotten other wise. at that point you may as well be using s.s. anyway depending on what the pedal is.

4. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

IME it depends on the amp. I have some that sound bigger and warmer at lower volumes than any models I've tried. But I just wasn't a fan of the Mini Recto, which I thought sounded fizzy at any volume. I owned a Triple Recto that into a 4x12 sounded amazing at TV levels.

Now I tend to use a modeler and FRFR not because it sounds better but because it was cheaper and is more convenient (I can use it as a bass rig as well, etc).

Darkness and still.ill like this.
  5. still.ill

still.ill Member

Yes I'm sure if I had a real 4x12 cabinet I might be telling a different story, but those things weigh like 90 pounds

6. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

I can easily believe it. Rectifiers aren't bedroom amps and the Mini is no exception.

OTOH, crank a Recto and no modeler sounds as good.

Phletch, Dr.Lee and Bobby D like this.
  7. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

The Mini Rec sounds fine at lower volumes.

If your talking whisper quite: no? No tube amp will. Hell no amp will.

I can even get the Mark V to sound good at "bedroom" volumes, never mind the Mini-Rec.

Phletch and lowpaygigs like this.
  8. still.ill

still.ill Member

By lower volumes I meant more of a TV volume, above whisper quiet but not enough to annoy neighbors.

9. SmokeyTone

SmokeyTone Member

In general, from my personal experience any kind of recto needs to be cranked to get the "Mesa" tone everyone dreams about.

The mini is a pretty little amp. Always wanted one but I don't have the ability to turn it up in my living situation.

There are some killer amps for bedroom level playing that are tube. Just because one doesn't work doesn't mean all wont...

I also agree on the SS comment. They do sound better at lower volumes in general.

I feel there are some amps that need to breathe fire to sound "good" however I have taken some big boys down to whisper levels and had success.

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Pretty much any high gain amp can sound fizzy at low volumes, the Soldano SLO100 can as well. These designs are preamp driven, so you need to adjust for it. Here's a couple things to do -

1. Put tone controls on guitar on 5 or 6 no higher, this will halp a ton.
    2. Presence is high treble, Treble is not really treble but rather high midrange. You want less fizz turn the presence no higher than 2 or 3.
    3. Speakers - Not sure what you're using but V30's and some others will seem to add fizz at low volumes, higher volumes tends to make this disappear. Playing live also cures this, I know for sure I never thought my amp sounded fizzy live, you just don't hear it.

It's real easy to kick stuff in the shins when you are playing with the amp on 1. If this is what you are doing there is no way to really win, you either accept it or use a modeler which has already been eq'd to give you the perfect sound you wanted to hear.

Phletch, still.ill and SmokeyTone like this.
  11. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

IDK. I use the rectoverb, same amp with reverb, in a small studio and onstage. Turned down, the rec can sound great, depending on what sound you want and how you dial it in the eq. If you take your stage eq settings,
    just lower the volume and expect the same result in sound... Anyhow, since we have no idea of how low of a volume you are talking or what kind of tone you are chasing, let's file this one with the big pile that share the heading: guitarists who cannot provide enough detail.

12. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I can run it at TV volumes....

But I run my TV loud. Because I'm hard of hearing.... From my amps.... Being run at TV volume...... Which I run loud...
    because I'm hard of hearing....

Wait. I'm sensing a pattern here.

13. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Tube amps sound weak and thin at TV volumes. You can hit the front end with a pedal and get by but a modeler is going to sound better every time in my experience.

14. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I agree. The Mini Rec doesn't sound very good in general.

15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

4WDPT likes this.
  16. bish0p34

bish0p34 Member

Even with my tube amps set at 1 watt, the Vox Valvetronix handles all my home playing.

Solid state is the king of the bedroom amps lol.

17. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Right.... :rolleyes:

18. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I owned one, my opinion is as valid as any.

19. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

The key for me was using a EQ with level in the loop of the Mini to allow you to bring the volume up while lowering the output volume.

20. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

I've yet to find any modeler that sounds comparable much less "better" than my original Mesa IIC+ amps at whisper to TV volumes. I appreciate this isn' the norm with tube amps and many other struggle to do so, but there are some amps that can perform this task very well. Hope isn't lost.