Mini synth love?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by JWDubois, Mar 3, 2017.

1. thecornman

thecornman Member

Love both my Volca Sample and JX-03! Cover a lot of ground with both of these units in my setup.

2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I haven't had much time to play with them (spent last night figuring out the Moog).

I've played with the JX-03 in the store and can't figure out why it seems to be the least popular of the Boutique line - I think it sounds pretty stellar. I can't wait to really start digging in.

Do you load your own samples into the Volca or do you use the stock samples? At the moment I'm just running it as a pretty straight up drum machine, but am contemplating getting more unconventional with it. This video is pretty cool:

3. thecornman

thecornman Member

I have loaded more then half of the 100 slots on my Volca Sample with my own samples! I kept many of the drum samples though, because I find them useful. I enjoy using found sounds in my music and find the Volca works well for this. I just use my i phone to record the sounds on the free audio pocket app and then easily transfer them into the Volca where I can manipulate and use them in my jams.

4. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Cool - I can't wait to start experimenting with it! Have you seen the Caustic editor for the Volca Sample? It's also free and lets you manipulate the samples before downloading to the Volca. I played around with it a little at lunch today - looks pretty powerful (not the most intuitive workflow, though).

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I've been eyeing a microbrute or a Korg MS20 just to get some bleeps going...

The keyboard player in my band had an ARP Odyssey and that was a lot of fun to mess around with and I want something like that for myself. Too bad I can't play keys.

6. Dubious

Dubious Member

We're in a real golden age for cool small affordable synths!

My main synth is a roland SH32

[​IMG]

These sorta predated the current mini synth renassance and as such i dont think they did well in the market.

I also have a Kawai K1 table module and a yamaha tx7 (tabletop module version of the dx7).

Id like to try the reface or volca fm As you cant edit the tx7 from the box - i need to revisit my touch osc template for this.

I also have a juno 60 for when i wanna get my fullsize freak on.

Bobby D, rsm and Astronaut FX like this.
  7. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

This little guy arrives tomorrow :D

rsm, MoPho, Jimmy_Rage and 3 others like this.
  8. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

And completely randomly, I just picked up a Roland TB-3 - came up on Craigslist at a decent price, I made a lower offer and the seller accepted. I still have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but it is a crazy piece of gear. The sound (at least the "classic" settings) are bizarre, yet oddly compelling and the sequencing function is very cool. I tried plugging it into my Minitaur and it completely freaked it out - causing stuck notes and obviously sending out some crazy CC's because the Minitaur sounded crazy.

9. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

That's pretty cool! You should post a review after you've had a chance to play with it.

10. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Nice!

I love the acid house sound, so there's no question what I'd do if I got a TB-3. I'd probably have it play at the same time as my Bassbot TT-303 (oider version that looks like a TB-303).

kiki_90291 likes this.
  11. JJ321

JJ321 Member

My mini synths consist of an Arturia Microbrute and a Volca Sample. I had a Microkorg about ten years ago and never really learned how to use it and ended up selling it a few months later. I've been keeping my eye out for a good price on a used one, but keep wondering if I should just get a Minilogue instead.

I got the Microbrute out for the first time in a couple of months last night and got lost for a couple of hours just twisting knobs and getting reacquainted with it. I usually run it through an Eventide H9, but last night, I just plugged it in without any effects and had a blast with it.

12. Valtyr

Valtyr Member

I like mini synths like the Roland Boutique modules. I got the JU-06, might pick up the JX or JP modules some day. I'd love to try a Korg Arp Odyssey and would consider getting the desktop version.

13. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Figured I'd post a question here -

I've got a JU-06 and it sounds normal when the chorus is on (with some hiss) but is almost completely silent when the chorus is off. Is this normal?

14. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Yes. There's a setting to turn the chorus noise to regular medium and silent. On my phone, so I can't find the link, but I'll try to remember to post it later.

Black_Label likes this.
  15. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Thanks! I don't mean the noise/hiss from the chorus. What I'm talking about is that almost no volume comes out of the synth when the chorus is disengaged. When I turn the chorus back on, volume level is normal again.

16. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

That doesn't sound right. - I have the JX-03 and it sounds normal with chorus on or off. Can't imagine the JU is any different

17. Doctor Who

Doctor Who Member

18. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I think I have a GAS problem - I now have a Minitaur, JX-03, JU-08, TB-3 and a Novation Circuit . . . .

19. sven karma

sven karma Member

Here's me making a racket with a Monologue, a Mopho and a Mininova as vocoder:

scott757, rsm and GovernorSilver like this.