1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mini synth love?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by JWDubois, Mar 3, 2017.

1. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Got my own Monologue on the way, thanks to Perfect Circuit Audio's 4th of July sale. :cool:

Bobby D, sven karma and BobbyFudge like this.
  2. adolan

adolan Member

After some time messing with a midi controller and VSTs i finally caved in after looking around and got a Roland SH-101 for "My first synth" Sure its plastic and from the 80s and not cheap anymore but it's an awesome lil analog synth, and its portable too! Its about as Mini i could get for now until i grasp it a bit better, looked at the MOOG Sub 37 but it just had too much going on for me at the moment.

[​IMG]

songtalk, Black_Label, rsm and 3 others like this.
  3. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

This speaks way more to my ignorance of synths than the piece of gear, but what is the point of this? It seems like it has a bunch of pre-programmed patterns in it and you can trigger them. How do you make your own patterns with it and then use it to trigger those? Am I thinking about it all wrong? Enlighten me.

4. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I guess it's Mini

[​IMG]

songtalk, rsm, adolan and 2 others like this.
  5. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

It doesn't have patterns programmed into it. It's essentially a synth module, meaning a synth with no keys. You control it with an external MIDI controller or sequencer. In the video, off screen, someone is playing what you're hearing on a MIDI connected keyboard. The MIDI controller keyboard sends note information to the Micromonsta, and the Micromonsta generates the sound in response.

scott757 likes this.
  6. TheBuffalo

TheBuffalo Supporting Member

That's an excellent first synth I think. Limited by one oscillator (and a sub), but that can be seen as a positive for learning. They're pretty pricy but I don't think anything else can get that sound

adolan likes this.
  7. adolan

adolan Member

Exactly, that's why I got this, to learn on as the Moog seamed too much for me out of the gate, plus it's a pretty awesome sounding lil synth albeit a lil limited but a lot of ppl keep one in their arsenal.

8. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

I was having a lot of trouble carting around my Yamaha Motif Rack XS in a case, so I picked up one of these instead.

[​IMG]

I like it a whole lot. Here's a track I recorded using it, all in one take other than a second rhythm guitar panned right and the solo.

Bobby D and rsm like this.
  9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

For 808 Day, Roland, quite appropriately, announced two new additions to their Boutique line of mini-synths - TR-08 and SH-01a. Both look fun and easy to use - check out how quickly this guy got sequences going on both units, from scratch:

songtalk, scott757, rsm and 1 other person like this.
  10. crumjack

crumjack Member

I am intrigued by the SH-01a. Sounds like it could be good bang for the buck, especially with the polyphony option.

rsm likes this.
  11. tschelle668

tschelle668 Supporting Member

I pre-ordered the TR-08 today. I'm pretty excited. I always wanted an 808.

songtalk and Black_Label like this.
  12. rsm

rsm Member

JP-08 should land here by the end of the week. Interested in the SH-01A and the SE-02...

Black_Label, JJ321 and Astronaut FX like this.
  13. rsm

rsm Member

dang this JP-08 is much smaller than I thought! will take some getting used to but it sounds killer, and much more portable than my System-8! should keep me busy for awhile, at least until the SH-01A ships ;)

14. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

This is ridiculously awesome. Have you recorded this and put it up anywhere?

sven karma likes this.
  15. sven karma

sven karma Member

Cheers, yeah there's other stuff up on me YouTube 'channel'.

Hopefully new stuff now the process of recabling is complete. Two mono synths and a bunch of pedals, how hard can it be? Answer: very.

16. sven karma

sven karma Member

Mopho and Monologue megamix. The Mopho now gets fed into the Monologue for added filter mayhem. Moogerfooger for ring mod madness. ModFactor undulator + OTO BIM for extra delay shenanigans. Octatrack handling mixer duties.

rsm likes this.
  17. Deng

Deng Member

As a guitarist who have just taken an interest in synths in the past couple of years, collectively these cost less than my Custom Shop Strat, occupy minimal real estate and takes only minutes to set up out of the box when required.
    Looking into adding the D-05 and maybe the SH-01A to the bookshelf collection when they become available here.

[​IMG]

18. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

[​IMG]
    I'm using some mini synths!

The Arturia Beatstep Pro controls everything. I'm using it to sequence bass with the Moog Minitaur, melodies with the Dreadbox Erebus and adding some texture with the Roland JU-06. I have the BSP's drum sequencer set for chromatic, which lets me sequence the Juno with polyphony across 16 notes. Then I'm sending midi clock to the DSI OB-6, which I use for playing manually or for triggering the arpeggiator. I have the whole thing set up on a Pedaltrain Terra 42 so the audio, power and midi cables are all cleanly wired underneath.

The only other things I might add are a Moog CP-251 control module for patching the Minitaur and Erebus together and a TR-08 for some rhythm. I'd just send clock and start/stop messages to it and do all the sequencing right on the TR-08. But I play with a live drummer so it's less of a priority.

I love synth modules. If it'll fit on my board, I'll try it out for a while and then move it on! The Dreadbox stuff is cool and weird. No presets, but they're patchable.

19. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Seems like the appropriate thread to post this, as Korg Volca series units and other synths/devices (OP-1, Pocket Operator/PO series units, etc.) with 1/8" outputs tend to be mini-synths. I have the Volca power supply and daisy-chain cable from KVgear and am a satisfied customer. This mixer, btw, also includes a power hub for Volcas:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vixenmixer/vixen-mixer

20. Doctor Who

Doctor Who Member