Mini synth love?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by JWDubois, Mar 3, 2017.

1. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

I'd love to hear an example of what kind of music you make with this gear.

2. DamageGirl

DamageGirl Member

3. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

I finally finished up my synth board, barring the wiring. Here it is:

[​IMG]

Can anyone recommend a portable replacement for my Yamaha Motif XS rack? I love it, but it's just too big to cart around with everything else.

xcc likes this.
  4. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

A track that I wrote using these synths.

Also found a great workaround for the gigs I can't cart the Motif XS for: unlocked the sampling capabilities of the Blofeld and installed some drum sounds and other synth sounds. Pretty interesting stuff.

5. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I am a total synth nerd - my alter ego is a synth maniac who creates music with NO GUITARS ALLOWED, lol.....

here's a good example of what Stargarden is about - gritty analog synths, shiny digital synths, samples, and lots of atmosphere....

6. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

Maybe this thread can help me. I am looking to add my first synth. I'm such a noob at this I need some direction

I am a guitarist looking to add ideally a mini synth so its easy to gig with. Mostly for bassy sounding stuff the rest of us can play over.
    1. Would love analog sounds with digital control
    2. An option where I can pre-program sounds, sequences, loops, or whatever to be completely triggered from my guitar rig which has MIDI out. I can send PC and CC's. Is this a standard option on all or do the keys start these loops?
    3. Ive been looking at the MicroBrute, MiniKorg, and JD-Xi?
    4. Something with a keyboard that I can still play live.
    Thanks duders.

7. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Supporting Member

^i'm not sure where these come in on your 2nd point, but i'm looking into adding a couple of the yamaha reface series to my microkorg. i'm extremely novice and these are tiny, relatively cheap, with a lot of real time control and less menu diving

OverdriveLover likes this.
  8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Microbrute fails your #2 requirement - no sound presets. You can, however, save sequences - up to 8 patterns onboard, plus backup to the Microbrute software. Nice for quick sound experimentation though.

If you're ok with monophonic synths, as long as they're analog, have a look at the Korg Monologue for not much more money. Nicer keyboard, saves sound presets as well as sequence patterns. A pattenr is stored as part of a sound program rather htan independently, btw. Also responds to MIDI PC at least - haven't confirmed MIDI CC, but I'm sure the manual states it. And also responds to MIDI clock. I have both Microbrute and Monologue btw.

No experience w/ MiniKorg or JD-Xi. Roland Boutique series might be worth a look too but I also lack experience in those.

9. OverdriveLover

cool thanks. The Monologue looks sweet. I probably don't need CC but PC is a must. I am going to create presets and sequence patterns and trigger them with a Boss ES-5 or a Behringer midi foot controller fcb1010.

Not sure i need poly vs mono, since most lines will be bass or bass synth and drum tracks are a bonus since we already have a SPD-X. Thats what the JD-Xi seemed so attractive. I'm not looking for any house style sounds just bass, synth, retro stuff which is why the analog synth thing seemed most appealing.

10. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

The Monologue will probably be a good fit for you then. You can save up to 100 programs (1 sound + 1 sequence pattern each) and switch them w/ MIDI PC. The synth architecture is fairly simple yet surprisingly versatile. Even responds to velocity if you program it to be so. And And actually, it does respond to a bunch of MIDI CCs. Sequencer is a breeze to use, including the parameter automation. Heck you might even have a choice of colors to match your band outfit ;).

One minor gotcha is that it comes with batteries but no power supply - opposite situation from Microbrute (comes w/ AC adapter, won't run on batteries). If you don't like batteries, you can order the official Korg AC adapter or get one from KVGear. https://kvgear.com/

Another is the full manual has to be downloaded - doesn't come w/ the synth. All you get is a quick start guide. Seems to be a typical Korg practice with all their low cost synths. Get the manual here:

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/733/3519/

11. xcc

xcc Member

As others have suggested, get the Monologue. It’s an ideal synth for your useage, not to mention the price is unbeatable.

12. OverdriveLover

I love the look and size of it. Batteries or getting my own supply is not an issue.

Question, cost aside, why not get the minilogue? It's Poly, and has onboard effects, but also a big one for a non-keyboard player would be the arpeggiator. Is there a Con to the Mini aside from cost? It's certainly in the price range. Ive been looking at anything <$1k

Also thanks for the link. I actually read that manual through last night on the midi section, and a few other models manuals. The thing I don't get, is unlike guitar MIDI equipment is there is no mention at all of how to save a sequence or pattern to a "Program Change #. So...

From what you are saying I am extracting that the "Program List" in the manual are all linked to PC# 1-100 (or 0-99) in the Mono and PC 1-200 in the Mini. So if you create a sequence with say Program 1, or the <afx acid3> setting in the Mono and save it and then send PC 1 it will trigger it to start play or just bring up the program and you need to hit an actually key or play to start the sequence?

Thanks all. This is important since I will be playing guitar and need the sequences to start from my Midi foot controller...

13. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

It's a different synth design (2-pole VCF w/ analog drive, LFO is different, etc), and therefore different sound. Sequencer is different. Admittedly, extra draws for me were microtuning support and Aphex Twin presets.

http://cdm.link/2016/11/gallery-korgs-synth-line-gets-refresh-including-new-monologue/

I think you just map your MIDI footpedal controller or whatever to the appropriate MIDI PC messages - say Pedal 1 to MIDI PC for Program 1. Then when you step on your assigned pedal on the controller, it should call up Program 1 on the Monologue. You could map, say Pedal 2 to the MIDI message to start the sequencer, so that you can step on it to start the sequencer.

14. adolan

adolan Member

I have a Roland SE-02 incoming to go along with my old/new SH-101 and the new TR-08 i just got which i am psyched for linking all up and blasting of into the stratosphere :p

xcc likes this.
  15. Javiceres

Javiceres Member

Hi there!
    I also have a microBrute and it gets played a lot, largely because of the size, the sequencer and the knobs :)
    How do you compare the keys on the Reface DX vs the ones on the microBrute?
    I'm on the fence of pulling the trigger for a Reface DX now they are cheaper (at least in Europe)... Or saving a bit for a Toraiz AS-1 which seems to offer top sound + very small package as well...
    Cheers!

16. p.j.

p.j. Member

I think I prefer the Reface DX just because it has a lot more flexibility. I think the keys are a little bigger and less toylike on the DX.

Javiceres likes this.
  17. Javiceres

Javiceres Member

AFAIK it's the JD Xi that ticks all the boxes and it sounds really good in the demos IMO
    Feels to me like it's the workhorse of the minis.

By the way, I finally pulled the trigger on a used but pristine Reface DX. I wish it was at least bitimbral and had 16 voice but it sounds great and feels nice!
    Overall I'm really happy with it.
    I hope they add modulation of the feedbacks or at least a voice spread, unison and detune, but I guess they won't :(

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  18. adolan

adolan Member

I have been tripping hard on my new Roland SE-02, still wrapping my head around it but man is that a lot of fun, I spent a few weeks getting to know it before i got the KM 25 keyboard attachment, which is actually quite cool for portability and i can just lay in bed and zone out.But with the TR-08 connected triggering it, i am off in headphone land for hours. I gotta say thats a lot of fun, the sequencer on the SE-02 is a whole minefield of fun in itself, i can bug for endless time on that.

19. Doctor Who

Doctor Who Member

20. jorgemncardoso

jorgemncardoso Member

No really... Sorry...:dunno

That little stuff always looks like toys to me. Not really my thing...