Mini synth love?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by JWDubois, Mar 3, 2017.

1. mattymel

mattymel Member

The new Korg stuff is headed in the right direction, analog with some digital usability, but always has a harshness to the filtering.

Wish Roland was trying as hard as Korg. I’d love to get a Juno Reissue. Nobody is doing a faithful recreation of that one to my ears.

2. jorgemncardoso

jorgemncardoso Member

I hope Korg is working as hard to come up with a new and improved Kronos as they are at putting out those little analog keyboards.

IMO there more than enough of those out there right now, but too little full fledged multi-engine workstations with the power of a Kronos. Even the Montage falls short. Maybe Kurzweil a bit more but still...

3. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I like how you pulled up a "typical DX" type preset, but then used effects and, presumably, clever knob settings to transform it into an evocative soundscape.

4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Korg benefited from the hiring of Tats Takahahi - the Japanese guy who speaks English with a British accent in various Korg videos. Basically a young, brilliant engineer in tune with what young people want from their music devices. Tats recently left Korg to explore other pursuits, but he's the guy who behind Korg getting back into the analog game - Monotron, Monotribe, MS-20 reissues, etc. as well as the entire Volca line.

Roland hasn't had that one game-changing hire, but they did go through a management buyout in 2014. The Boutique line appeared after that, then they started exploring new analog stuff too - the hybrid real analog/digital Junos, and the collabs with Malekko and Studio Electronics. The SE-02 announcement stated it's the first of a Boutique Designer series, implying there are more the pipeline. At this point, they seem to be as tight as anybody with their marketing - no more countdowns, or clumsy "leaks" like Behringer.

thecornman likes this.
  5. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Back down the rabbit hole - I succumbed to coupon madness this weekend and took advantage of the eBay 20%-off sale to pick up a Roland D-05 and the Musician's Friend St. Patrick's day 15% coupon to pre-order a Behringer Model D. Between shipping times and launch dates, it will be a bit before they land, but looking forward to playing with both of them.

6. Allthesound

Allthesound Member

Great choices both! Your gonna love that Model D. Since i got mine my wife calls herself the Boog widow.

joesnewmatch likes this.
  7. mikejr555

mikejr555 Member

I dig mini synths. My first keyboard of my very own was the dx100 my father gave me for getting a good report card when I was 12. Wish I still had it. I've had a micro korg for a while and it's a fun synth.

8. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Reviving a dormant thread - I saw a Roland JU-06 at a local music shop a couple of months ago at a decent price (not crazy low, but well below the $500 or so everyone seems to be asking for them these days). I told myself that if it was still there next time I went back, I'd pick it up and flip it since they seem to be getting outrageous prices these days. I went back yesterday and it was till there, so I picked it up. I plugged it in just to make sure everything was working before I started putting together a listing . . . . I'm not so sure I'm going to sell it now. It sounds really, really good! No wonder this is such a sought after sound. I have a D-05, too (which I also love) - I think they will make a great combination!

rsm likes this.
  9. rsm

rsm Member

congrats. the I have the JP-08, I dig it.

I'd like to get (and may get) a SH-01A, either makes a good portable rig with my keytar midi controllers. :)

10. GMGM

GMGM Member

I just got the Behringer Model D (minimoog clone), but I'm returning it.

It sounds fantastic, and appears to be fairly well made. But it's a pretty frustrating beast.

Like the original Minimoog, it defaults to a 'low' note priority. There's a workaround that is supposed to let you change to high note priority, or last note priority (which is what I'd prefer). But that workaround is inconsistent. I must've tried a hundred time, and never got it to do 'last' note.

So what's next? I'm not sure. I will probably go back to looking at polyphonic synths. JP-08 and Minilogue have been at the top of the list. But with only 4 note polyphony.

The JP-08 can be expanded to 8 note poly (if you buy two of them). And I've always loved the Jupiter 8.

I'm really curious what TGP sees as the top 5 minisynths? I mean, yes, there are all sorts of lists on the web, but I'm coming at it this strictly from a guitarists perspective who wants to add some random synths stabs and pads while playing guitar.

11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

If you're looking for something small and 8-voice polyphonic, the Micromonsta might be worth a look. At least one TGP member has one.

https://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta/

At a slightly higher pricepoint ($700 - $800), there's the Elektron Digitone.

The Teenage Engineering OP-1 is priced about the same, but it's such an oddball that I hesitate to recommend it to anyone unless that person has a pretty good idea of what it's about.

12. GMGM

GMGM Member

Thanks for the referrals. Either one could theoretically live on a pedalboard (depending on how much I need to make settings tweaks). I'll check out some demos.

13. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

You should try using this Web tool - https://data.dynareg.se/breadandbutter/ModelD.html - I used it to switch mine to "last note" and it's been working fine.

14. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

The Roland D-05 has 16 note polyphony. It can sound very 80s, but I've found a number of patches that sound very warm and analog-ish, so I've been very happy with it. Horrible to program from the front panel, but there's an iPad Editor (patch base - in-app purchase) or a web based editor (also from breadandbutter.com) that works really well.

What kind of sounds are you looking for? Analog? Digital? Lo-fi/hi-fi? This is like a golden age of synths - so many options . . . .

15. GMGM

GMGM Member

I had no idea such a tool existed (or was even possible). I'm in the process of returning the Model D now, but.... can you tell me if this little utility in your link needs to be every time you boot up the Model D? Or will it remember the setting?

If it "remembers" the setting, I'll probably stop the return process and keep the model D. I'd rather not have to boot up a computer on stage to activate this parameter before a set.

16. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

It has remembered it for me, but if you’ve gotten it to work using the switch and it has reverted, there may be a problem with your unit.

17. GMGM

GMGM Member

No, in my case I have not been able to get it to take the switch at all. It has held onto the default "low" note priority. I've been unable to switch it to 'high' or 'last' note priority.

I'm certain I've followed the steps in the manual correctly. I've even experimented with variations on those procedures, including the start position of the tuning switch, and how long I waited after powering up to toggle the tuner switch, how fast I toggle the tuner switch, and so on.

I thought if the online MIDI switch worked AND retained the setting, then it'd definitely be worth keeping. I love the bass/lead sounds, and have been using various virtual/VST Moogs for many many years.

Note: My Sweetwater guy suggested trying the fine-tune-calibration procedure in the manual, but I don't believe this would have any impact on note priority (?). Besides the tuning is pretty close on mine (at least compared to some of the sample clips I've heard where people definitely needed to perform a deep re-calibration).

18. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

It's pretty easy to try - i think you just need to plug a USB cable into the Model D (can't remember how I hooked mine up - I'll play around with it when I get home). I don't see how the fine-tune-calibration would do anything - that's kind of an odd suggestion (shame on Sweetwater!). I have read a lot of complaints about how the switch method of changing the settings does not work well.

19. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I just had a few minutes to muck around with it and confirmed that mine was still on the "Last" note (I changed a month ago). I used a USB cable direct from my computer to to the Boog and used the Chrome browser. I switched it back to "Low" and that worked. I switched it back to "Last" - also worked and retained the setting after I cycled the power. You should give it a shot and if it doesn't work, you may have a faulty unit.

Hope it works for you!

20. GMGM

GMGM Member

That is great news. Thanks for giving it a try! Much appreciated.

Sweetwater also just gave me the 'OK' to give it a try. I wanted to be sure they didn't consider this to be an "unauthorized modification" and void my warranty and return authorization. Paranoid much? Yeah, probably - but thankfully they were cool with it and said to go for it. I'll give it a try tonight and will report back. Thanks again, Gregg