"Mini" tuners: why?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by NoahL, Feb 3, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

This is sort of a re-post of a question I put on the acoustic forum and got only one response. I have a set of Gotoh mini locking tuners going to waste here. They're 3x3 config. Are mini tuners mainly for acoustics? Or just for guitars with small headstocks? What's the point of them? I'm mostly worried that they'll look funny on an electric with a fairly large 3x3 headstock, like an Ibanez semihollow or a Les Paul copy. Don't want the "Stonehenge" effect, where the 18" Stonehenge statue embarrassed the Spinal Tap guys. Maybe you guys could reference a few electrics that come standard with mini tuners? Thanks.

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

They are lightweight so the headstock doesn't hit the ground when you take a bow.;)

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Yeah, I figured it was mainly a weight thing more than looks. If you don't want them let me know.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Weight or space saving is the only benefit to mini gears. I think they work fine but sometimes I like grabbing those big button full size Grovers, feels natural.

5. Quarter

Quarter Member

Just something comforting about a good old Rotomatic :)

6. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I put mini's on my LP Jr. Double cutaway. I think the mini's just look better on that guitar.

7. Bob V

Bob V Member

Can I ask a technical question at this point...

Are we going to do Stonehenge tomorrow night??

8. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I think they're mostly for 6 in a line headstocks where space is at a premium.