Mini-'Wreck or mini-Ghia?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by digiTED, Jul 17, 2014.

1. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Thoughts on a low wattage (<10w) amp with the clean-to-mean dynamics and string-to-clarity that I love about my Ghia and is archetypically associated with Trainwrecks?

I'd love something like this paired with a 1x10 Greenback for a quick, home sketching tool.

2. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

Hall Amplification Lil Devil is exactly that.

3. socalscott

socalscott Member

It's true. Express based circuit. The Lil' Devil utilizes 5 sub-miniature tubes along with a full tone stack. 2W's with Scaling and the OP tranny is wound per enhanced low-end. Glad mine has a gain cut added.

I'm liking 12" over 10" results, btw. $499 and made to order by a great guy. 5 day return policy IIRC.

4. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Thanks a ton guys. That thing looks rad. How easily sourced are the tiny tubes?

5. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

I think they last forever, but they are cheap anyway (though they require a special install). I'm sure Dana Hall can hook you up when/if needed.

My favorite low wattage amp of all time.

6. socalscott

socalscott Member

The tubes were for rocket guidance systems. They'll pull serious G's.

Dana Hall will make up spares. They have to be soldered into bases, then it's standard fair.

Playing dynamics are outstanding, as is the tone stack. Nice sparkle to thick singing lines with volume roll-on. Sounds nothing like typical ultra-lo watt amps.

7. andersmv

andersmv Member

Sounds like you need an M12. I have not played one, but I know it was designed to be similar to a lower watt Z Wreck. They make a 1x10 combo, check out the humbucker music site. I'm sure they would be able to get you one with a greeny in there.

8. eddy999

eddy999 Member

I have a hall lil' devil also - cracking little amp. Perfect Express tone at lower volumes