Mini Z head w/ a 1x12 Celestion Seventy 80 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mojocaster.com, Apr 20, 2008.

1. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I am looking for a new cab for my Mini Z head. Currently it is running through an Avatar 2x12, but I have been wondering what it would sound like through a 1x12. It also would be more portable, which would be great. I came across a cab w/ a speaker I have never used: the Celestion Seventy 80.

What do you guys think about that pairing?

Thanks!

2. sliberty

sliberty Member

I can't speak for the Seventy 80, but I would probably go with a V30 or a G12H30. What's in your Avatar? Maybe a little temporary surgery would be in order. Disconnect one speaker, and play through the other to get an idea of the results of using a 1x12. It won't be a perfect test, but its better than guessing.

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

that's a great idea. Thanks :)

4. Crikey

Crikey Member

The Celestion Seventy 80 is a value-priced speaker with a flatter response than many other Celestions, maybe closest in voicing to the Classic Lead 80. It is popular in many manufacturers' combo amps, e.g. Randall and (I think) Line 6. I read this at the Celestion Web site a while back. They have posted extensive information about all their current models.

I think it would be worth listening to your Mini-Z through a Seventy 80. It's moderately efficient, so if you have the goal of running the Mini-Z with a drummer, it might be a good place to start. If I were buying a speaker for a Mini-Z based only on tone, I'd probably start with a Greenback, but those are less efficient and I don't know whether you could keep up with most drummers with one.

Crikey

5. VanR

VanR Senior Member

Seventy/80 is one of my favorite speakers. I've got them in 3 different amps. Sound to me like a CL80 with more mids and not as stiff sounding.