Minimalist question for newb.

ASATClassic

Fellow minimalist here. I love simple, but not too simple ;)

Here’s my 2 cents. I say go for a Telecaster and a decent acoustic. For amps, Katana is a good option. Buy the footpedal if you want more control.

I wouldn’t mess with hybrid or modeling guitars. Over time, I think they’ll make your life more complex.

I love and use the HX stomp, but you can probably get everything you need from the Katana itself.

Last edited:

zeppelinpage4

I am in my early 50’s and want to pick up the guitar again and learn how to play. Learned to play a little many years ago. I am now a minimalist and do not want a bunch of guitars, amps, etc. In my research, I am looking at the following set ups. Just want to learn and have fun around the house.
Set up #1 - Taylor T5Z Classic - either Fender MUSTANG LT25 Amp or Positive Grid Spark 40W
Set up #2 - Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster - with either of the above amps.
If I do any pedals at all, it would most likely be the Line 6 HX Stomp. These will give me acoustic sounds and some electric guitar sounds through amp modeling. Looking for a single/decent all around set up that does not break the bank. Would like to stick to USA made guitars if possible. Open to other guitar/amp suggestions. Thanks.

shane
I wouldn’t limit to USA only guitars. Best bang for the buck is still imports I think.

If you’re looking USA made guitars. A used USA made Fender tele or Gibson Les Paul studio or tribute, or Gibson SG special would be my first choices.

For pure versatility a used Fender Baja tele should cover A LOT of ground. Teles are versatile workhorses to begin with but the extra switching options on the Baja would give you even more tones. It’s made in Mexico but it gets raved about online. If buying new, I believe the new Fender JV modified 50’s tele has the same switch options and it’s made in Japan which is a nice bonus.

For amps, I think you’re on the right track. Any good modeller like the Yamaha THR, Fender Mustang, Positive Grid Spark, Boss Katana etc. should be just about all you need for playing at home.

For acoustics, I feel like a simulator doesn’t quite capture the feel and sound. I’d get a budget Yamaha acoustic to cover that ground. They have some pretty decent ones for under $300.

Just my own 2 cents. Best of luck!

Last edited:

tdarian

Platinum Supporting Member
For an amp I’d consider a Quilter Cub. It’s 50W but can be played extremely low volume if needed, only 21 pounds and compact. It has a good headphone out for when you want or need it, reverb & effects loop. Also a direct out to PA in case your practice pays dividends and you end up on a big stage!

If you can get out and try guitars, you’ll notice big differences in how they feel and respond and some will feel more right than others.

Good luck and have fun!

Al Chapo

Seagull acoustics are Canadian and are an absolute gem for as little as a few hundred bucks. I bought my current one for $150 used, and it was selling new at the time for $315 Canadian. It sounds as good as guitars that sell for three times that price, and plays as nicely as any acoustic I've ever had. And I believe they also have a factory in Maryland, if I recall correctly. They are owned by Godin, who also make great electric guitars, often with very convincing piezo acoustic bridges.
Yeah anything under the Godin brand is good stuff. The wife has a Simon & Patrick that's probably seen 3 sets of strings in 12 years. The action is annoying but that thing still sings.

modavis99

Silver Supporting Member
A really surprisingly great tube amp is the Monoprice 12” 15 watt tube combo amp. Under $300 and it has a low power setting for the home

shane1

I am also trying to be more “minimalist” in general, it just hasn’t found its way to guitars yet. Hope one day to be a one man gun and amp.

I am very much into my acoustics and electrics. I find them two different instruments.

Would it annoy or bug you to have two dedicated guitars ? (Minimalism has many levels) In your case Nylon (I am a fan of the Yamaha NTX5, that taylor is gorgeous however) and maybe a great Tele with a suitable small amp, Yamaha THR or Katata or Fender GTX.
No, I can probably do two.

shane1

Are the dingle coil guitars noisy or bothersome as compared to humbucking pickups? I had a single coil guitar years ago and it was bothersome but it may have been an issue with my house lighting and electrical. I still have all fluorescent lighting.

I saw a video of the Gibson LP Trad Pro V which looked interesting. Lots of tonal options and shorter scale length. I see Fender also has noiseless pickups.

JohnCarter

I bought a Mustang LT25... I don't think it's a good place to start. At least I wasn't happy with it. Yes, it gets lots of tones, but many of the built in ones kind of suck (obviously an opinion). Yes, you can adjust all kinds of parameters manually or through the app, but it's easy to get lost (not literally, but in the sense of spending way too much time) in the menus. I replaced it with a Boss Katana 100. I find I can do most of what I want with the physical knobs. The fancy stuff still resides in the app for when I want it, but it doesn't intrude on just picking up the guitar for 15 minutes to noodle ... I mean practice.
Also, the Katanas come with an attenuator switch on the top panel. The 50 will run at 50, 25, or 0.5 watts. It's easy to adjust for your playing situation.
So, even though it does cost more, I think you'd be happier for a longer time with the Katana.
As for a guitar... all of my guitars (I admit to a bit of an addiction) are budget guitars. I wouldn't worry too much about the tones available (that's what the speaker is for). The most important characteristic is playability. How the guitar feels in your hand. That's hard for an absolute beginner to judge, and you may wind up with 2-3 guitars before you figure it out. I think that budget guitars are so good now that you can't go far wrong with an inexpensive guitar from any of the name brands, and even a lot of the generic Chinesium guitars, although that is a bit of a crap shoot. Anything from Squier, Epiphone, ESP LTD, Ibanez GIO, etc. will keep you happy. Turns out that my most playable guitars are from Ibanez; I just like the neck.
If you can buy used, you'll be able to trade the guitar for something different if you want without losing much in the way of money.
Sorry for being so long winded. If you made it this far... I figure you'll be happy however you go.

Nojopar

Honestly if you're considering the HX Stomp, you might consider coupling it with a PowerCab or a FRFR speaker of some sort. The Stomp has all the amp sounds you'd ever want in it, plus various effects. It'll do everything in a single box.

As for guitars themselves, I would seriously consider two different guitars, one electric and one acoustic. Combined models always compromise too much. Don't let the name fool you - the Taylor GS Mini is phenomenal bang for buck in the acoustic realm. As far as electric, just grab whatever body shape that tickles your fancy and at the price point that doesn't strain your wallet. Personally I'm a fan of the Fender Made in Mexico models for bang/buck, but to each their own.

Digitalman

I’m a minimalist as well and I’ve been playing over 40 years. I’ve left behind a pile of gear.

Now I’m playing a Charvel thru a Fractal FM3 into a powered speaker.

I couldn’t imagine needing anything else.

Except for an acoustic guitar of course.

Short Tooth

Thanks. Any other small amps that you would recommend?
I try to pimp Blackstar over Boss all the time. Affordable, you get 2 speakers in this. The effects are damn near all you need. But the stereo effect of the 2 speaker setup is what really makes this thing shine. Positive Grid sounds amazing as well. For someone who is just getting in, you don't want to go so basic that is isn't fun. The stereo wash makes playing at home so great! The tape delay with a high level set is some of the best Saturday Morning in my undies with a hot cup of Joe kinda paradise - I really mean it. Good luck and happy hunting!

shane1

I’m a minimalist as well and I’ve been playing over 40 years. I’ve left behind a pile of gear.

Now I’m playing a Charvel thru a Fractal FM3 into a powered speaker.

I couldn’t imagine needing anything else.

Except for an acoustic guitar of course.
Which Charvel and powered speaker do you use? Is the Charvel a good all around guitar or is it geared toward a certain genre? Thanks,

3of5

I've only used a Yamaha THR 10 for the last 9 years. I find that it does most anything I would want with a minimum of fiddling with parameters. Plenty loud for home. Occasionally, when I'm alone in the house, I will plug into my son's Mesa Rectoverb, which I'm storing for him, for a few minutes just to remember how loud an amp can be.

Hierophant

HX stomp is a good idea because it will give you everything in terms of guitar sounds. However it will either give you a recorded studio guitar sound, that means monitors staying in 1 room, or using it as a multi effect and then you'll need an actual amp (or the middle ground having a power speaker).

For the new guitar I would insist on recommending you spending time in a guitar shop. I just did so today and went home with I believe my favourite purchase I ever did, buying a vintage spec'ed telecaster copy when I thought I wanted something modern (for the latter, all the necks were nice but too thin and wide, I thought I needed big frets but not really... etc.). If you used to play guitar you will probbably have preferences, if not, you just don't know what you prefer yet. Or you can just be easy and play anything just like all the actual gigging musicians I see playing in pubs playing awful guitars.

Digitalman

Which Charvel and powered speaker do you use? Is the Charvel a good all around guitar or is it geared toward a certain genre? Thanks,
It’s a DK24 HSS FR. MIM. They’re 1k and they’re awesome. I’ve had 3 Strats in the past and never clicked with any until this. It’s just a really versatile guitar. I’m not a shredder my any means, but I can get all kinds of sounds out of it. I play clean most of the time. No ‘chugga’ really, but I like that I could.

My speaker is an EV ELX200 10P. It’s very loud and the patches in the FM3 translate well. I was using an EV ZLX 12P before and it was a bit boomy. 10” FRFR seem to work better for modeling. But monitors for modelers is it’s own rabbit hole. It’s just nice to have any type of amp you can think of at your disposal. It’s replaced at least 10k worth of gear I used to use.

Here’s the whole setup

Hierophant

It’s a DK24 HSS FR. MIM. They’re 1k and they’re awesome. I’ve had 3 Strats in the past and never clicked with any until this. It’s just a really versatile guitar. I’m not a shredder my any means, but I can get all kinds of sounds out of it. I play clean most of the time. No ‘chugga’ really, but I like that I could.

My speaker is an EV ELX200 10P. It’s very loud and the patches in the FM3 translate well. I was using an EV ZLX 12P before and it was a bit boomy. 10” FRFR seem to work better for modeling. But monitors for modelers is it’s own rabbit hole. It’s just nice to have any type of amp you can think of at your disposal. It’s replaced at least 10k worth of gear I used to use.

Here’s the whole setup

Funny I was really in today for buying a Charvel DK24 (another model) but found the neck too thin and a tiny bit too wide. Seemed like an amazing guitar though. If it was my only guitar I would love it but having other necks around, they straight up feel better than the Charvel one, for me, and that's a frustrating thing. I was buying guitars online like an idiot thinking one would feel as good as the Godin LG guitar neck I sold to a friend, and each time I would pick up that LG it was the perfect neck for me:dunno.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom