Minimum Amp wattage question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Yuengling, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Yuengling

Yuengling Supporting Member

What would be the minimum wattage tube amp you would gig live in a full band setting (2 guitars, bass, drums, singers etc.) at small to medium venues?

Assume on one hand you can mic the amp and on the other hand that you will not be able to mic the amp.

Better to have too much than not enough?

Also a lower volume full band setting - no ear bleeding half stacks.

2. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

3. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I do it regularly with an 18 watt Budda Superdrive. That's in a full band with singers, , bass, drums, keys and a horn...

More than enough volume and headroom ( our drummer is very dynamic and does not smash the drums through every song by the way ) for me...

Depends on the amp, band, and music style I guess...

4. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I have a Savage Macht 12x that does fine when I mic up. Unmiked, I use at least 18 watts (Alpha & Omega David 30 watter in triode mode). I might move up a category if clean headroom is an issue or if I'm playing outdoors.

5. Free

Free Member

Really depends on the speaker/cab configuration (not to mention speaker SPL) - more speakers add more dBs and spread to the sound. Mainly, wattage is dependent on how much clean headroom you need - headroom is your main consideration.

If your overdrive tone is from your amp, 20 watts will do. If you need a solid clean tone - more like 30-40 watts would be required. Of course you could always safely use around 50 watts in any context, but you won't be getting much out of your amps output section overdrive character, and your overdrive tone will be dependent on OD pedals or your amp's preamp gain, if you do.

6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

30-40, with efficient speakers....2x10 being my pref.

You can always "dirty up" a clean amp, but if you need "on-demand big clean", you won't get it from a little amp.

I'd rather have it & not need it, then need it & not have it.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Miced 15 watts. Unmiced 30, but I'd never play a gig without micing my amp.

8. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

That's what I was thinking too. I play a BFDR @ ~20w and even at larger venues I don't get it past 4 with the TIM always on. (miced)

I take my Clark Penrose to blues jams and turn it up to ~10.5 (goes to 12) and its ~30w (unmiced):RoCkIn