Minneapolis Part 3 - Salt Lake City? Denver?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Medgeking, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Medgeking

Medgeking Member

OK dudes, if you've seen my previous posts about Minneapolis, you would know that my wife and I are contemplating leaving CA and are likely to move to the Twin Cities area of Minnesota. However, there's been a new development with my wife's work which would potentially allow us to move to Utah or Colorado.

So, I'm looking for feedback on the Salt Lake City area as well as the Denver area. We're in our mid 30's and have two kids aged 2 and 4.

We've been very excited about the MN move despite lots of cautionary comments from people. We have no experience of winter weather, but feel like we're willing to give the harsh MN climate a serious try. What really attracts us to Minneapolis are the following:

Family oriented mid-west culture
    Big City that doesn't feel so much like a big city
    Lakes and nature
    The arts and culture
    Great public schools

Mostly, I'm curious how Denver and Salt Lake measure up against Minneapolis in these ways. To be frank, I'm very excited about Salt Lake, but as a secular Californian, I worry about our ability fit in with the Mormon culture in Salt Lake. I have nothing against Mormons, in fact, I quite like them. However, we're looking for a place we can raise our kids and really put down roots and we don't want to feel like outsiders.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2016
  2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

SLC doesn't seem like a fit, but I've only been there a handful of times.

Denver is great, but rather expensive. Of course, not like CA. The front range area, Springs to Ft. Collins is pretty heavily populated.

Of the three, the Twin Cities will have the harshest winters and be the cheapest to live. Good luck with the process.

3. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

I've never had a good time in SLC. It's okay if you are outdoorsy and don't mind driving up towards Park City but other than that blah and for that CO can't be beat. No way I'd trade Denver for Mini-Apple, too cold and culturally Denver has outpaced it. But Denver is crazy maxed out due to booming economy so I'd come for an extended stay to determine what you can afford and how far out from the city that gets you. Living in Denver now often means in the county 40 miles from downtown. I am native but I wouldn't move back to the city.

LDS22 and derekd like this.
  4. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

All relative of course.

I just moved to Denver from LA. If you are used to CA prices, Denver will seem like a reprieve. But yeah, Denver city proper is getting expensive. I am in the burbs. Fortunately by CA standards it's easy to get everywhere too, so we don't mind.

My wife loves SLC and it seems quite progressive in many ways. As I understand it, things (ie bars) close very early...even earlier than Denver (still getting used to that. SLC is quite a bit less expensive but seems to have a solid art and music scene.

I am glad we came here. There are adjustments to be made, but overall it's a great place.

PM me if you want specifics on 'adjustments'.

LDS22 and derekd like this.
  5. Medgeking

Medgeking Member

When you say Denver has Minneapolis outpaced in terms of culture, what do you mean?

6. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

Do me a favor and Google Minneapolis 10 day forecast.

7. SciFlyer

SciFlyer Supporting Member

Minneapolis seems to be a really cool city. I have been there playing shows and really enjoyed it. Very progressive, fun town to hang out in. Lots to do. My wife went there on a business trip a few weeks ago and had a great time visiting her friends who live there. My mom's side of the family is from Minnesota so I guess I've always felt some affinity for that region. As a suburban Detroiter, I would consider a move to Minneapolis if the opportunity presented itself, but I guess I'm used to harsh winter weather.

I have visited Denver and different parts of Utah on various road trips and tours. I think Denver is a great city and I love that you're so close to the mountains, but cost of living and real estate is really expensive. Utah is a beautiful place to visit. So many great national parks! I don't think I'd want to live there, though.

Best of luck with your new opportunities.

derekd likes this.
  8. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Minneapolis in the summer is incredible!!!!!!

More than makes up for the winter.

BMX, morlll, JCM 800 and 2 others like this.
  9. Medgeking

Medgeking Member

Oh, trust me, I've had Minneapolis added to the weather AP on my iPhone for about 6 months and I checked it several times a week. Shockingly, this year and last have been relatively mild there. In fact, today, it's been colder in Denver than the Twin Cities. Up through last month, the temps have been above 20 degrees for the most part. Of course, I know that's not usually the case.

10. scotth

scotth Member

I followed your 1st thread. I don't remember there being a second.

Did you ever say what you and your wife do for work?

Can I convince you to come to Canada? I'm about 8 hours north of Minneapolis.

Our area is very family-valued orientated.

We really don't meet anything else on your "want list", but I'm lonely and our families are the same age. Lol

Plus, there isn't enough people here who say "dude".

morlll, derekd, ddeand and 1 other person like this.
  11. green72

green72 Member

It's incredible if you like it hot, humid and full of mosquitoes.

Seriously though, it's fine if you're by a pool or lake, otherwise MN summers get pretty miserable. I loved the summer when I was young and skinny, but now that I'm older and fatter I get sweaty and tired a lot easier.

Spring and Fall are quite nice though. This year was especially nice.

korby likes this.
  12. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

I've visited SLC and MLPS. Both are pretty cities, but personally wouldn't live in either one. SLC would be a tad bit conservative for me and MLPS is just too damn cold and humid. I currently live about 30 minutes North of Denver and am very happy with my choice to move here. I'm in a city where rent is still reasonable and is easy to travel through. This area is great, but everybody is moving here now! So, rent and home prices are going up steadily. I've got the mountains 15 minutes away and Denver metro a 1/2 hour away.

13. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

You just haven't lived through East Coast summers. No mosquitoes, but there have been times I felt like I was suffocating and my lungs were about to burn!

14. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

This year it was amaze-balls until mid Nov. we like it here for now, but honestly unless you live at a lake or near one, it's not really worth it.

15. RJLII

RJLII Member

Stay in Cali. Really.

Lution likes this.
  16. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Minnesota is a great place to live. Yeah a few months out of the year it gets cold. So what. Any place you live will have it's negatives. That's about the only one here. Most people have no idea what the cold is, they just think they know. It's really not THAT bad. The weather the rest of the year makes up for it.

The quality of life is very high here in the Twin Cities. Everything that you said attracts you is very true. As far as political progressiveness, I'll just say it's much closer to 50/50 than super progressive. But that's all I'll say here. :)

Come join us in the Cities. Party at @T Dizz's place!

derekd likes this.
  17. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Pffffttttt. It doesn't get THAT hot and humid here. Maybe a few weeks a year at most but it's summertime. It should get hot.

derekd likes this.
  18. Norsegod

Norsegod Member

If the general politics of an area is important to you I think you should take a close look at Salt Lake and Utah in general and decide whether or not that particular political climate suits you. Given one of your previous posts I'm thinking Utah isn't politically a place you'll identify with.

I personally would chose both Denver and Mpls. over Salt Lake just for what those cities have to offer culturally. I don't think Salt Lake is an attractive city location wise either. It does have great skiing nearby with quite a few options within a reasonable driving distance and spectacular public lands to explore throughout the state.
    I grew up in the suburbs of Mpls. and I still think it's one of the nicest cities in the country for a variety of reasons. I like a strong changing of the seasons and winter in general.
    If you are into the outdoors at all Minnesota has a lot to offer but then so do Utah and Colorado. One thing you definitely won't find in Minnesota are mountains and there's no getting around the fact that it is significantly colder than either Utah or Colorado and winter is longer.

morlll and derekd like this.
  19. 0018g

0018g Member

My sister lived in the Denver area, and I honestly don't care if I ever go back. I HATE Denver for a myriad of reasons. Thankfully, she's moved further out-but not far enough.

Minneapolis seemed cool the time I was there. I'd like to go back for a couple of days and explore.

Never been to SLC.

20. mattball826

mattball826 Member

LOL at politics in a relocation thread

IBTL