Minor dilemma, want that LP sound, but...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by texrun38, Mar 1, 2015.

1. texrun38

texrun38 Supporting Member

OK, I'll get the easy/obvious stuff out fast:

(1) I know the answer is "play a bunch and get the one that sounds best to you"
    (2) I'm a hobby player. Occasionally play at church and few gigs a year out. Mainly just at home because I really enjoy it.
    (3) Not a doctor or lawyer (save the cork sniffer jokes). I'm an engineer and retired Marine Corps/Navy aviator. Pretty much a play at home nerd that just loves music.

Because I'm not a "pro", I keep a modest collection. Two Martin acoustics, a Fender Custom Shop 2012 Strat Pro my wife got me for my 40th bday that I love and two very awesome Danocaster T-styles (one R/W board, one double-bound maple board). That's it. I do not have a dual H/B guitar nor do I have extensive pedal collection. I recently played a friend's 2004 Gibson Custom Shop Deluxe (a black one w/ the gold h/w). While I didn't love the "feel", I did really like the neck and the sound was..."whoa". Really helped fill in that AC/DC, 80s crunchy Marshally tone that I really dig sometimes. So I'd really "like" to have that in the stable, but this little hobby needs to fund itself (most of the time) and I have a young family (got started late due to not wanting to stress a marriage and be an absent dad while deployed so much). So, I can either scrimp and save the scratch to look for a Gibson LP Standard or Traditional (I guess, maybe a studio, never played one but if it sounded the same, felt good and was cheaper, I'd do it. And I'd never pay for an R8/R9 b/c I just don't need to), or...I can sell one of the others to fund it. Can't sell the Strat given the gift from wife, which leads to the two Danocasters and I said I'd really hope to never sell one because I just really, really like them that much, though they are similar in tone. My other option was to chase that tone as much as possible w/ my Danocasters and Strat and find pedals to match. So far I've tried a JHS Charlie Brown and a Mojo Hand FX Magistrate and both are cool, but not close to that LP I played. Anybody have any advice on this? Pedals, sell a Danocaster, or just wait over time and get an LP when I've saved up for it. First world problems, for sure. Many thanks for any experience from someone that's been down this road.

2. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Get that savings going! Sounds like you have a pretty good head on your shoulder, and a responsible family guy. I would refer to number (1) and zero in on that guitar your REALLY want then make a goal of getting it - when the time is right.

Something else to consider is checking out SGs and 335s. An SG will get you closer to the LP, but easier to access. The 335 is like crack. I bought one after I bought my LP and it is the go to Gibson now. LOVE what it does!

If you only plan on using the dual HB guitar on occasion don't over-look Epiphones. Seriously you can satisfy that urge without a lot of coin.

Have fun with the hunt!

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

One option would be to go cheap. That's the direction I went in order to avoid debt and to be able to collect a lot of different guitars.

If I was looking at LP style guitars like you described, I'd certainly give this Agile a look. There are also some interesting Epiphone LP's around.

4. mikefair

mikefair Member

I have a love/hate relationship with Gibsons, but if you're looking for that "thing", nothing else will do. Think about an SG. They can be very affordable. You can get them in a lot of different configurations. They have better fret access. they're light weight - by a lot. They are serious rock and roll machines.

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

Most "pros" would kill for that collection.

6. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I was in your shoes, except my other guitars paled in comparison to yours. I have enough Asian and Mexican guitars. I wanted a US Gibson, with full binding, and none of that nonsense like a zero fret or robot tuners. I found a like-new LP Custom Lite-- not that unlike the new Less + models, except without the unnecessary features. I paid less than Studio prices for it-- less than JR prices.

Back in the day, I had a stripped down SG-- uncovered pickups, dot inlays, no binding. In some regards, while sounding like an SG, it was an SG in name only. I didn't want to go that route with a stripped down LP.

Some might argue that a Lite isn't really a LP, either.

BTW- I have four other guitars with dual HBs, and none of them sound like the LP.

For me, I really wanted Gibson on the headstock- wasn't interested in Agile or an Epiphone. I have no doubt they can get one into the LP territory at a fraction of the price.

7. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

I'd sell one of the Danocasters. I know we get attached to our instruments, but if they are covering the same ground sonically, pick the one that does it the best or your favorite and sell the other one. In the end, it's about making music, right? If you don't want to lose a second Dano from your collection, I'm sure there's a bunch of dual HB Danocasters, K-Line, Thorns, etc. that you could get that would fit the bill without going to a Gibson.

8. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Save up, but while you're saving see if you can try out the LPJ or studio or something like that to see if you can get what you want in a cheaper package. Or Tokai's or Epiphones, sort of depends on what you want exactly. I wouldn't get rid of anything you currently have, not unless you look at it and think "I could probably live without this/be better off with an LP instead".

9. Ulug

Ulug Member

Have you tried Epiphones? I really like some of their older, Korean made guitars. Their recent quality in the last couple of years has been pretty good too.

10. Mandrax

Mandrax Member

If it's the sound you are after and your not worried about the bling, look for a used studio. You'll find one dirt cheap.

11. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

I was able to buy a 2014 Gibson LP historic at an UNBEATABLE price yesterday, I didn't buy it and I don't think I will be buying any historics any time soon. Played the guitar for 30min yesterday and it was not a bad one, but really not worth this price. I had the money in my pocket and had driven 120miles to get to the guy... so I was pretty much set on buying it initialy. Playing it changed my mind.

For half the price my USA Hamers sound 10 times better. Hamer USA are players guitars built like tanks, custom shop quality at ridiculous prices! If you want an LPish kind of guitar, for small cash, top quality and you want to buy online and be SURE that it will play and sound awesome, go Hamer USA.

- Hamer Studio (Sunburst)
    - Hamer Artist
    - Hamer Monaco Elite

For me an unbeatable option.

12. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

Pedals won't take you there, as there are many factors in basic LP construction that yield that specific tone - ie, rather short scale, wood, set neck, etc.
    If you want to go south of 1K, I've got two suggestions:

A buddy of mine got himself an Epiphone, their version of a 335, semiacoustic, and it's a very nice guitar. Like $400? It does not sound exactly like your average fat bottomed LP, more on a lighter / brighter side, but much more useable tone, in my opinion, still with some girth and good sustain. Don't expect mracles, though.

Alternatively, have you looked into PRS SE series? Overseas made PRSi, HH, pretty much the LP formula, but with modern playability and features.

Other than that, I'd just play a couple of nice LP Standards and pull the trigger on the one that felt nice.

13. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

14. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

+1 on the Studio. I've had a '99 for years. A friend has a bunch of LPs (Standard, Custom, Classic, Trad, DC, etc.), and I don't feel deprived at all. I actually like my Studio better than some of his.

Personally, I don't like SGs or think that they're substitutes for LPs. I'd prefer an Epi LP as some are quite good. I have a Classic that's plays well and sounds great.

Regardless of how much you spend, there's some chance that you may want to swap the pickups and/or the electronics sooner or later -- so consider that.

15. dubdub

dubdub Member

Hi there I'm from the camp that says as long as then neck is good and the pickups dont pop and crackle its a good guitar, regardless of the name on the headstock. If you have it in your head already that you want a Gibson nothing is going to change your mind until you get it, then you better start saving up. I've gone through that stage and I'm long past it now. I went through a lot of Gibson LPs and none of them did it for me, at those prices one would think that they would be better in every respect compared to everything else, truth is they aren't. They do have their own flavor, just like any other guitar, but if money is hard to come by for you then you'll save more money trying out other flavors is what I'm saying.

16. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

If it HAS to be a Les Paul (and I do understand that urge, oh boy do I!) but can't be too expensive, it's hard to go wrong with a Studio. Otherwise, the suggestions to try an SG or 335 are on the money - you'll get most of what an LP does with extra flavours too.

17. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Used USA Gibson SG Special. I took one on trade planning to flip it... It's one of my favorites... I like it better than my Standards. 6 lbs doesn't hurt anything either

18. Bluesidae

Bluesidae Member

I have had a Long, slow journey to my 2005 LP Standard. I have owned many guitars. All were great, but none were 'it'. My Standard puts a smile on my face every time I play it! There is no replacement.

Did I mention I am a father of four who plays at home? Treat yourself. I am sure that you deserve it!

19. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Don't waste your money on an Epiphone.

It won't be as nice as your other guitars, and no amount of pickup or hardware or electronics upgrades will change that.

If you don't want to spend big bucks, check out a used LP Studio or SG Standard.

20. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

For a bargain, get a used prs SE Bernie Marsden. Change the pickups to suit your taste .
    Great guitar for the $$$