"Minty" Vs Mint

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by omahaaudio, Mar 6, 2015.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Okay, what the difference?

If it's mint, why not call it mint? If it's anything less, call it something like excellent.

2. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

I reeeeeeallly hate adds that say "minty". Gag reflex.

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

i think of "minty" as "close to mint"

4. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

^^^ Yes. "Mint like". Buyer beware.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

"Small crack in headstock but otherwise minty" :dunno

6. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Exactly! What it means is that the guitar is not close to mint. Idiots use this word. I bought a guitar off of eBay once and that's how it was described. This was my lesson in "minty." It was beat, I think he used a different guitar in the ad pics. He left his work number on the box, and I surprised called him. He said, "oh, you found me." I went off, and said I'm shipping it back and I want a refund. Done! Douch$! :nono

7. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

"Minty" means nothing except "I want you to think it's mint, but when you complain later I'll be able to say I never said it was mint." Avoid.

8. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

After you lick the guitar, you have a cool refreshing taste in your mouth. This is minty.

9. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

I hate all cases of "mint." I see it everywhere. It's never mint. If it is, then the seller usually puts more effort into the listing's description. Items just labeled "mint" are never mint. It's all a lie, man. "Minty" is a lie. I've sold items as "excellent" even if they're in better condition than some "mint" listings I've seen. My modesty is rewarded with quick sales. Don't participate in the "minty" lie.

10. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

That's not how you do it. Flaws are listed after "mint" (e.g., "Dead mint, other than small finish flaw on the back of the headstock that wouldn't photograph. Truss rod seems to be broken, but I haven't bothered to confirm since the neck plays like butter. Frets are in excellent shape with about 47% of their life left.").

11. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Exactly!

12. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

I think this is a hangover from the early days of vinyl record price guides. Top price was reserved for items that were mint, by which the guide meant records that had been sitting unplayed in a warehouse since their day of manufacture. Records that were very good, and few genuinely used records were any better than that, were listed at half the price of mint. But dealers didn't like what they saw under the 'very good' column and started calling their sale items 'mint' or 'near mint.' The guides themselves pointed out that this practice was a gross misuse of their information but don't think that you could get anywhere if you could point out to the dealer that you could prove his records weren't mint. (There are ways.) The last thing a dealer wants is to have his carefully designed attempts at fraud pointed out to him.

I can't think of any way around this practice short of having official independent graders fix prices or adopting a system of auction with no reserve as the only way of selling. Many guitar sellers on eBay now ignore the guides and list their items routinely for anything from twice to ten times the guides recommended top price. Any way of stopping this practice would be costly and sellers can always take their item somewhere where it attracts less scrutiny. It all comes back to the buyer; don't buy unless the price is fair.

13. jeremiah1888

jeremiah1888 Member

And coins before that, newly minted condition. So 'mint' guitars/vinyl should technically be in the unplayed condition they left the factory.

14. BlackT-Shirt

BlackT-Shirt Member

I believe case candy is mint-flavored, no?

15. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Bingo.

Or an ad for an amp...."Some small tears in the front tolex and scrapes on the side; nothing serious. Otherwise, mint condition."

:messedup

That's like selling a car and saying that, other than the 4 foot long scrape on the passenger's side and the cracked back bumper, the car is mint....

16. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

One of the funny things about this: who would prefer a mint 60 year old car to one that has been used but well-maintained? An engine that hasn't been started for 60 years—yes please!

17. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

In the '70s and into the mid-80s, "mint" meant virtually unplayed, as new, nothing to "note." Now it means something else entirely. How does one know that a "relic" is mint?