Mira is to SG what Singelcut is to Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SimonR, Jan 19, 2008.

1. SimonR

SimonR Member

The new PRS Mira had got me somewhat intrigued...I can feel some GAS coming on and I haven't even seen one in the flesh yet.

What is folks' take on this guitar so far? Is the Mira kinda like PRS's take on the venerable SG (like the SC is to the Les Paul)? Or is it a completely different beast? I notice the Mira has 24 frets which I find a little odd what what is ostensibly more of an "old school" style guitar.

Cheers,
    Simon

2. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Falls somewhere between SG and LP Jr.

Awesome guitars, IMO.

A

3. toasteroven

toasteroven Member

One of the coolest models PRS has made.

4. tonefinger

tonefinger Member

I think it sets more in the Junior category.

5. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

Actually between the SG and LP Special doublecut, since Specials have 2 pickups and Juniors only one.

6. prsflame

prsflame Member

I've been gigging a MIRA for the past month. I have no experience with Gibson guitars. My only frame of reference, is having been a PRS player since 1987.
    The MIRA is very "rock n' roll" The pickups remind me of the old T & B's. They have alot of power and bite. Generally speaking,if you are not a fan of PRS pickups, you probably won't dig these either. The guitar can cut through a mix like none of my other PRSi could, and I've owned 40+ different PRS guitars in my liftetime. I love the lead tone I can get with the bridge pickup. Just incredible bite and sustain. The neck also has quite a bit of smoothness to it for nice single note lines, but not as "refined" tonally as some of the other PRS offerings. The bridge pickup was initially a little harsh, but after lowering the pickups height a bit, it addressed this issue completely.
    I gig the MIRA primarily through a Bogner Shiva EL34 head and Bogner 1x12 cab. the guitar is very full and warm sounding with this rig. Chords and single note lines sound wonderful and articulate when played clean, but imho, I don't feel the MIRA really shines under "clean" playing conditions. For me, It excels with the edge of breakup, and or overdriven tones. The coil tapping works great for my purposes, and really makes the guitar more versatile.
    I get more compliments on my tone on the nights when I play this thing than I do playing guitars that cost 3x's as much. I picked it up as a backup, so I can leave the 87's and 90's PRsi at home, but it's quickly becoming my "go to" ax.
    As a frame of reference, I play in a modern rock/metal cover band. It works well for my musical style. YMMV and opinions may vary. To me, it's the ultimate PRS "bang for the buck"

7. waltkh5

waltkh5 Member

I am intrigued by this guitar and had the opportunity to play one at my local Sam Ash. In all candor, I was quite underwhelmed by the example I played. It was no where nearly as refined as most PRSi I have played, and it had a certain cheapness to it that reminded me of an import SE example. I am not trying to disparage the guitar, in fact I am hoping to play a better example in the future. I just found myself rather put off by the neck, the cheesy knobs, pickguard and switches IMHO.