mismatched speaker cab question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cbstrat, Jan 27, 2012.

1. cbstrat

cbstrat Supporting Member

a friend of mine told me he was using two cabs with his Carol Ann. 1) 8 ohm and 1) 16 ohm and hooking them up to the corresponding 8 & 16 speaker outs on the head.

Is this the correct way to hook these up or will it harm the amp?

2. pdf64

pdf64 Member

This will result in half the intended impedance being reflected back to the OT primary; may not be an issue unless it's got EL34s and a high VB+.
    Is there a 4 ohm output? If so plug the 8 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm output and the 16 ohm speaker into the 8 ohm output and the correct impedance will be reflected back to the primary.
    Pete.

3. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Agreed, not ideal, but a lower secondary impedance being reflected back is still better than a higher mismatch. I do know a number of people have done this, but you are putting the amp under more strain and yes, EL34's would show up problems usually before 6L6's. Most of the CA's run a high B+.