mismatched speaker ohm in a 4x12

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rotlung, Feb 16, 2015.

1. rotlung

rotlung Member

I bought a 4x12 from Craigslist about a year ago. The guy was honest about one speaker being replaced, same as the original, a Vintage 30. I never opened it up, sounded great and like I expected. Today I opened it up to do some other work and noticed that indeed one speaker was replaced, but while the originals were all 16 ohm V30s, the replacement is an 8 ohm. I've been using this cabinet for a year and have had no problems, but what exactly should I be concerned with here? I've heard that ohm mismatched can burn out transformers, but that hasn't happened yet thankfully, so maybe the mismatch is small enough that it's not causing damage. I'll be replacing it soon enough to ease my OCD, but I'm curious.

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

It's not the best idea, the 8 ohm speaker will take more of the power. If you're happy with the sound, I wouldn't worry, but if you're concerned, replace the 8 with a 16.

3. rotlung

rotlung Member

Yikes, meant to post this in the amp section. But thanks for the answer! I'm going to replace it when I can grab another speaker, glad I haven't ruined anything by using it all this time. I may just yank another one of the speakers and X pattern some H30s while I'm at it.