Mismatched speakers - which one do you mic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ripgtr, Apr 29, 2016.

1. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I have been playing around with my old pro reverb - just rehabbed it, did a bunch of work. Trying out different speakers.

It came with Utahs', and as bad a rap as they get, they don't sound horrible, but not great.

I have had Weber Weber 12f150s in it for a long time. But honestly, they are kind of muddy in this amp, the top end clarity and "chime" aren't great.

I got a set of Jupiter 12SCs. Nice top end, but the low mids, just aren't there. Kind of thin. (Wondering if I should have gotten the 12LC with the larger magnets).

I was going back and forth with them (I have a power station, so easy to do, run one at a time at 8 ohm). I decided to try them together - and they Really sound good together. They really play off each other well, the Weber fills it in and the Jupiter adds really nice top end.

Here is the thing. doing gigs, where I will be miced, which one do you mic? Neither will be the true sound of what is coming out. I was thinking the Weber, since mics boast highs anyway, like the 57 has the bump. Does that work best?

I am going to try some recording with a 57 maybe this weekend, see what I get.

(I did search on this and couldn't find anything on live micing just one speaker)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

The best answer would be having the sound guy mic both and mix or pick for the best result.
    Fat chance.
    Realistic:

sickboy79 likes this.
  3. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Yea, lol, that ain't gonna happen.

4. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Listen up close to both and pick your favourite

sickboy79 likes this.
  5. tele_player

tele_player Member

I'm confused by this. I know LC and SC stand for Large Ceramic and Small Ceramic. Are you saying you can get the SC cone with the LC magnet?

6. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

No, I meant LC, sorry. I'll fix that
    I know the dif, just typed them backwards.
    fixed. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  7. BMX

BMX Member

This is why I don't like mismatching speakers. When I do have a rig with mismatched speakers I usually default to micing the less trebly speaker.

Heady Jam Fan likes this.
  8. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Yea, I have never done it intentionally before, mismatching. But lots of stuff comes that way. Boogie made a cab with EVs and Celetions way back. I was thinking of micing the darker one, micing usually makes it brighter. I am going to do some test recording later today.

The thing is, the amp IS kind of dark. I have gone through everything, measured and tested every part, only thing I haven't really been able to verify it the OT, I would have to swap that out and I doubt that is it. It is just a little dark.
    The Jupiter REALLY has nice high end, but it really has no lows. I never saw much on this when I was researching it. The Weber actually sounds pretty good in my SFDR, not as nice as the alnico that is in there, but nice. But the inherent darkness of the speaker really doesn't help this amp.

BMX likes this.
  9. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

If your sound guy won't do this, you can actually do it without his help. Mic both speakers and use a device (several are available - see below for an inexpensive example) to combine them into one signal to send to the main mix. You may need to adjust the mic positioning to get an even mix if there is a volume difference between the two speakers.

10. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Well, the next thing I am doing is one of those multiple band things, quick up an down, so that won't fly. Yea, I actually have thought of that, make a two headed Y cable. A lot of work for just a 20 minute set.
    In the old days, when I played in bands that had our own guy, or played bigger venues, it might have been cool to do.

11. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Doing some recording was interesting. I have a power station so can do it at fairly reasonable volume in the house. Clean and with OD (Kingsley Jester). 57 into an LA-610.

The Jester is fairly thick sounding, and Jupiters sounded by far the best with OD. The clarity of the high end and not a ton of bottom to muddy things up.
    Clean, the Jupiters just sounded thin. I can fatten it up a bit with the sitchs on the PS, but kind of ugh. Funny, the Utah sounded better than the Weber. The Weber would be really good with a really bright amp, but just sounds muddy and chocked with this amp.

I think I will just put in the Jupiters and deal with it.

12. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

:huh You're not recording...it's live. Put the mic between the two, just slightly farther away.

eigentone likes this.
  13. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I ended up putting both the Jupiter's in, and turning down the treble on the amp a bit.
    And maybe they broke in a bit, that and all the work I had just done on the amp - new tube sockets/bass pot, etc.
    Did a gig with it Friday, I thought it sounded great.