mismatching speakers in Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by doriangrey, Feb 7, 2008.

1. doriangrey

doriangrey Member

I currently have 4 Jensen P10R speakers ( 25 watts each, 8 ohms ) in my Super Reverb. I am considering replacing one of the Jensen's with an EVM 10M speaker ( 300 watts, 8 ohms ).

Is there a potential problem with running a 300 watt speaker with three 25 watt speakers in the same cab? If they are all 8 ohms, it should be safe, correct?

note- I use my Super Reverb for recording purposes and will only mic the EV speaker once installed.

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

My only thought is what does an EV sound like with 10-12 watts through it.

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

That is part of the fun. Try it and find out.

Then keep us posted. :dude

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I must be thinking about all the costly mistakes I've made, fun but costly.:jo

5. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

The EV is very efficient, so my guess is it will be louder than the other 3 speakers. But no harm at all in trying..

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I personally wouldn't put a speaker of that magnet size and wattage in a SR. Some like it, some don't. I like ceramic speakers in most blackface amps except the blackface Concert and Super Reverb, where I prefer a good alnico like a P12Q, CTS or Eminence 102KA. If you like the P10R's and want a warmer, cleaner sound go with Weber 10A125's.

7. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I have a 200W EVM-12L in my Blues Junior (15 watts). I love the sound of it.

8. doriangrey

doriangrey Member

Thanks guys for your feedback, much appreciated! Now that I think about it, I had a Mesa Boogie cab with 2 EV's on the bottom and 2 black shadows on top and it sounded great. By the way, does anyone happen to have an EVM 10M speaker for sale? haha.

9. macatt

macatt Member

I've been trying to convince people for years how great this sounds.
    It's nice to finally run into someone else who has discovered what the EV will do for a Blues Jr.

I got my EV back in 1983 from Ray Henning at Heart OF Texas Music in Austin. They told me it was 300 watts.
    I bought a second one in 1998 and thought it was also 300 watts.

So which is it, 200 or 300?

S Mac