Miss That Mid-Grind - Back To EL34's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Opposable_Thumb, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Opposable_Thumb

Opposable_Thumb Member

So like the title says, I've started to really miss that pronounced midrange grind that you hear with el34s and as it's been a few years since I last ran 34's in my amp, I was hoping to get everyone's opinion on what brands you all thought sounded best and had a good reputation for reliability.

I think I'm going with the Tung-Sol EL34B but I'm hoping to get as many opinions as I can.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I dig the JJ EL34L (for new production tubes)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  3. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

My favs were Siemens RFT's. Pricey, for sure, and def a step up from new tubes.

4. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

5. Opposable_Thumb

Opposable_Thumb Member

Hmmm, well I'm using Amperex Bugle Boy, and RFT preamp tubes - maybe NOS power tubes is the way to go. Definitely something to look into.

6. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

The Siemens are $100 less, each, at least, compared to NOS Mullard's or Amperex EL34's. IMHO, they are a great buy for the power section.

7. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

And... I really liked Gold Lion KT77's.

8. Opposable_Thumb

Opposable_Thumb Member

That's what I've got in there now. When I got them all the dealer had was late breakup tubes and they sound fine but there seems to be some snarl missing and I'd like to see about getting that back.

9. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Is no one even going to ask what kind of amp it is we're talking about here before issuing opinions on the brand of tube?

10. Opposable_Thumb

Opposable_Thumb Member

I probably should have provided that info in my original post but I was more interested in reputation, reliability, and consistency of the tube itself rather than what someone thought would sound good in a particular amp.
    Things like the old issue with JJ tubes where they had put out more than a few batches with smaller diameter pins which caused connection problems; or the more recent =C= tube issue where after they had ceased production we started seeing reports of previously rejected/discarded tubes being sold as good. You know, the kind of things you want to stay away from.

That said, the amp I'm tube shopping for is my Framus Cobra. If you're unfamiliar, its a high gainer with a great clean channel and a poor effects loop. I'm in the process of setting it up as a wet/dry rig and figured why not squeeze out the best tone possible before I start layering in effects.

11. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Yeah, the GL KT77's are pretty smooth. If I were going for new tubes I'd probably choose the Mullard RI's. Can't go wrong with the Siemens, methinks.

12. Emplexador

Emplexador Member

RFTs are $50 en fleabay. I get singles, whatever and later match them. Forget about buying matched pairs because you pay double

13. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I like these a lot. Not too stiff, great mid range and still have some round bottom end.