missing my sun face bc-108. thinking of building one

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wsaraceni, Feb 28, 2012.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

im pretty sure that the sun face from analogman is prettymuch a straight up fuzz face. what is the best way to go about building one. a byoc setup? source the parts yourself? what about fine tuning?

2. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Small Bear Electronics sells matched transistors but for a Silicon Version, that should be pretty easy. BYOC kits sound great. Sourcing your own stuff is also cool because you get to pick and choose what you want. PedalPartsPlus sells finished boxes, which is nice.

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

thanks guys. i think i'll get one of those pedalpartsplus boxes. they seem pretty sweet.

stupid question. but what is the difference between this

http://pigeonfx.com/layouts/layoutrange.html

and an analogman beano boost?

and is it really that easy to put together? i assume i need the case, http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=273, and a pot, switch, knob, two jacks, and a battery adapter

what kind of fine tuning is required on these units?

how did i go from building a fuzz into a treble booster?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

SI Sunlion? :idea

6. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

so here is what i plan on ordering. am i missing anything?

pigeon fx:
    rangemaster kit - 15 squiggly L's
    dallas arbiter fuzz face kit issue 1 - 15 squiggly L's
    ($49.12)

pedal parts plus:
    1290 drilled for 1 knob no led - $9
    1290 drilled for 2 knobs no led - $9
    painting for 1290 - standard color - $2.60 x 2

small bear electronics:
    Transistor - The Rangemaster OC44 - $8.95
    Transistor - [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BC108 - SGS[/FONT] [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]SKU: 2021U - $1.00 x 2[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Switch - Alpha 107-SF12020-L DPDT - $4.95 x 2[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]9-Volt Battery Snap, Hard Shell T-Style - $.45 x 2[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]total - $94.07[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]what would be best potentiometers be and which could i get with an on-off switch built in like analogman offers.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]also, what jacks are the ones to get that turn off the pedal when you remove the input.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Would you guys switch anything i have above out for something different?[/FONT]

just wanted to add. would it be better to use sockets for the bc108s to attach? that way i can swap at will. or is it better to solder direct? if so, which sockets would you use.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012