Missing truss rod nut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bigroy, Aug 24, 2013.

1. bigroy

bigroy Member

Just picked up a Yairi DY53 Canyon Creek. I started to adjust the truss rod to lay the neck back just a hair, and discovered the nut was missing. I just received a replacement from Yairi, but the truss rod is pressing against the upper part of the the cavity. I don't think I can get it to start threading on the rod till I get the rod away from the top of the channel.

Can I put a little pressure one way or another to make the rod end move away so I can put the nut on, or do I need the help of a pro? I'm pretty comfortable with working on guitars, but this may be a bit over my head.

BTW, it's way up inside the heel of the neck, and an absolute pain to even see whats going on. I do have access to a small snake camera that I'm going to use this evening to get a close up look.

2. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

Oooh, that's going to be fun.....kinda glad it didn't land on my bench. A bit of pressure, yes. Just gotta find the right spot to flex it.

3. bigroy

bigroy Member

Thanks Brian, I'm hoping the mini cam helps me see whats going on a bit better. Also hoping my wife doesn't want to help.

4. bigroy

bigroy Member

Turned out to be really easy. I borrowed a mini cam with a snake to get z better look at the truss rod. It turned out to be easily accessible due the length of the nut itself. Also could tell the tip of the rod was easily accessible.
    Went on in a snap.