Mission amps 5E3 deluxe weirdness!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Clear Guy, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Clear Guy

Clear Guy Member

The amp in discussion is a Mission amps Tweed Deluxe kit that I built. It has slightly bigger transformers and beefed up bias supply so it can take 6L6's with with a 5U4.
    I am running 6V6's with the 5U4 currently.

Problem:
    When I am in full play mode the amp will just fade out to no sound all of a sudden as if I flipped the standby on but the light is still lit and in play mode. The quick fix is to shake the amp and hit it on the side a bit and then the sound starts to slowly fade back up to full volume. It will stay off quite a while until mess with it. Its sounds perfectly normal when running but just fades out arbitrarily. When it comes back on it will sometimes stay on for a hours. It all started last night after a 4 hour rehearsal. I messed with it all day today trying various things.

Maybe getting to hot? I dont get it. Odd!

Anyone have any bright ideas?

2. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

Most likely a bad connection somewhere.

3. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

+1 on that.

One thing I suspect a lot of folks neglect to realize when they build these kit amps is than, when soldering, if heating up an eyelet and dropping a lead into the melted solder, that's not always enough: Make sure the new lead is hot enough to flow with the solder. I reheat the eyelet with the new lead in place and flow some new solder in.

4. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

I agree with the bad connection...and I would start looking at filament connections since you mentioned the volume ramps back up slowly.....like a tube heating back up perhaps.

5. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    don't wack that puppy any more you can make it worse.

solder joint expanding when The amp gets hot ?

everyone here seems to agree?

6. Clear Guy

Clear Guy Member

Thanks everyone for your time. I will look it all over and keep monitoring it. This could be a tough one to figure out. The top of the chassis gets almost too hot to touch for longer than 4 seconds. It might have something to do with the heat.

7. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Cold solder joint/bad ground on the power tube cathode resistor?

8. Clear Guy

Clear Guy Member

I figured it out using you all's helpful advice. It turns out it was one of the two wires going to pin 7 (filament wires) on the power tube that was just sitting in the eyelet but not soldered to anything. All fixed and sounding great. Thanks again Guys.