Mission Gemini 2

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Pickerman, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Pickerman

Pickerman Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the Axe FX II with a Stereo Gemini 2 cabinet? I'm really interested in some feedback about it. How does it compare to the CLR?

2. Myshkin47

Myshkin47 Member

I absolutely love my Gemini 2! I also have a CLR Active Wedge as well. I played bass through the Gemini yesterday with some friends and it sounded great. Very warm sounding compared to my CLR. My Axe FX II presets translate very well from headphone/recording to live. The stereo image is really nice and you can get controlled feedback at low volumes. I have the Bluetooth model which is pretty cool. I'm not a gigging musician so I can't say much about how it holds up under that type of use. It's pretty heavy! I bought mine from Sweetwater with free shipping & I'm sure they a Return policy. For me it was the missing piece of the puzzle.

3. gtrjunkie

gtrjunkie Member

Great to hear this. I have 2 active CLR wedged and am considering a Gemini 2. Love the CLR's but would like a traditional cab vibe option also.

4. Tweaver

Tweaver Member

Does the Gemini 2 give you the cabinet feel? I'm also considering the Matrix NL212. I also have a pair of CLRs.

5. Myshkin47

Myshkin47 Member

Tweaver, the Gemini 2 has a warmer tone than my CLR. The cabinet is made of Baltic Birch and weighs 71lbs. Unfortunately there aren't many good demos out yet. Cooper Carters review on the Gemini 1 is probably the best one I've seen. The Sweetwater video was not very good IMHO. Not sure why it hasn't received much attention maybe the price or the weight, perceived lack of power. For those who have not bonded with the FRFR solution but want to use all the aspects of a unit like the Axe FX the Gemini should at least be considered. I'm looking forward to hooking up both the CLR & Gemini for a Wet/Dry rig.

6. Burningbeard

Burningbeard Member

How loud are the Gemini 1 cabs? 110watts class d as compared to a 50w valve amp? I'm not a gigging musician.. and do like to crank an amp from time to time when the wife is gone.:aok

7. Myshkin47

Myshkin47 Member

Probably not as loud but more than loud enough for home use. I have a DRRI and it is easily as loud or louder than it is.

8. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

I picked up a passive 1x12 i'm pushing with a Kemper power rack and its tough to get real amp volume for me without fearing a meltdown.....but I have some loud amps! I would like to compare my volume with their powered 1x12.
    :jo

I lower the main master and bump the rig volume control and it gets pretty loud though.

9. Pickerman

Thanks for the feedback! I was hoping to find that warm tone somewhere, and it sounds like this may be the ticket. Most of the places I play are quite small, so having two different cabinets for stereo isn't really an option. I'm assuming it gets pretty loud?

10. Tweaver

Tweaver Member

Ok, I bought a Gemini 2 passive. Sounds great directly in front of the cabinet. There is a big change in the sound off axis that does not occur with the CLRs or Xitone. Even if only using one of the Gemini channels or both in mono, the dispersion is narrow. The Gemini has way more bottom end thump than the other two.

11. Pickerman

Interesting Tweaver. Is the bottom end thump muddy or tight? Also, I'm curious about the direct signal from the cabinet to PA. Have you tried that setup, or just used the G2 as standalone sound?

12. Tweaver

Tweaver Member

The bottom end thump is tight. I just use the Gemini at home standalone.