Mission: Impossible-The TV Series

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by marktweedy, May 3, 2015.

1. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

Either this has just showed up on Netflix or I have just noticed it. No matter, I am watching it again. I loved this show when was I was a kid (I was nine when it first aired in 1966). It has actually held up just fine, and Barbara Bain as Cinnamon is still very exotic looking.

I will give you it now seems a little corny at times, and clearly the then high tech stuff that Barny uses is decidedly not high tech anymore. But it is still fun to watch.

Anybody else look forward to every episode back in the day and watching it again now?

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I loved that show.

And something always went "wrong", and yet they pulled out a success in the end every time.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I still watch it and while it has held up OK, some things seem so silly now…..like the contrived accents they have to use for some of the cases.

4. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I went on a Netflix Mission Impossible binge a year or so ago. Every episode is still great. I Had forgotten about the first season when they had a different leader other than Jim Phelps.

5. stevel

stevel Member

It's been on Netflix forever. It may have gone off for a while and come back on though.

MI was a show that I always wanted to see. I grew up in the syndication era, and have seen every episode of Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Star Trek, Gomer Pyle, Gilligan's Island, and so on.

I've always loved James Bond and loved Get Smart.

But I think I was at a time when I missed MI - and most every other spy show (or maybe they just didn't play them in my market).

I remember my cousin watching The Avengers and Doctor Who (shown on PBS) - oh, and The Prisoner. I didn't catch a lot of these until A&E, and later BBC America started airing them. But I had at least had the chance back in the 70s.

But MI was one I NEVER encountered.

So I was very excited when it came on NFlix.

I started with season 1, episode 1, and binge watched them through most of the 2nd season.

To tell you the truth, they got old quick. I actually started skipping the "Nazis are active again in Brazil" story lines. In fact, the episodes I liked best were those that went "off case", like when Peter Graves gets waylaid in a small town.

I don't think I finished season 2, or if I did, I barely got into season 3.

The only other one I watched is when MeTV recently aired an episode with Leonard Nimoy on his passing (later season, which I've not seen). But, it was basically the same old same old.

I actually watched the MI movie when it came out, not having seen the original series. Decent action flick. Don't think I saw II and definitely not III or GP - we just saw a preview for a new one coming out (rogue nation) which looked pretty good.

But yeah, I gave up on the original series. Started putting me to sleep. Graves picks everyone, who of course are always the same group, Rollin pretends to be someone else, Barney perspires profusely under a time crunch to get some electronic trickery going, Lupus lifts something or plays a servant, chauffeur, bodyguard, etc., Cinnamon uses her feminine wiles, they all stand around in black and white and discuss the case, and some long involved setup gets resolved in 2 seconds with - you're right, a corny solution, and then they all drive off together.

I know that later seasons did away with some of the selection scenes and the monochrome scene, as well as the "getaway". But I guess it's very formulaic. I suppose that's why I like the off book ones so much.

Some of the other ones I never saw - in some cases never heard of, but in other cases remembered but never watched, were I Spy (still not seen any), To Catch a Thief (actually pretty good, but carried by Robert Wagner, otherwise also just the same old things - same sets too in many episodes!), and The Saint (have watched episodes here and there).

I got Secret Agent Man, which I've NEVER seen on TV and had never even heard of outside of Johnny Rivers theme song. I got the entire collection on DVD and have to say, that was a damn good series. Again, MacGoohan carries it, but some good stories.

I did finally get to the Avengers and it's my favorite show period now! Still haven't seen all the Honor Blackman episodes.

The other one I always wanted to see and never had the opportunity to was Man From UNCLE. That one STILL hasn't come to Netflix (or anything else).

But, they play it on MeTV, and if comes on in a half hour.

I've been watching those week by week (like old days TV!) and enjoying. I started mid-way through season 1, and they just got into season 2 (color).

I understand it gets more campy and goofy as the seasons go on (not unlike The Avengers) but I'm enjoying it much more than MI - things are different enough each episode.

Here's something interesting - everyone's always on about the MI Theme - and the whole thing that it's in 5/4.

Man From UNCLE had that BEFORE! In fact, I was disappointed that they changed it to a regular 4/4 theme for the 2nd season. The music in MFU is really good - and not as repetitive as that in MI (man, it's really repetitive, which may be part of the reason I get into the whole "I've seen this before" vibe).

Oh, and Babara Bain is no Emma Peel ;-)

6. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Every Sunday Night , never missed an epi. Great fun - exploding / dissolving tape deck! What more do you want?

7. ChurchChong

ChurchChong Member

they could create a disaster situation for the bad guys and in a very cool way "get the hell out of dodge"

8. Stardrake

Stardrake Member

The Secretary will disavow any knowledge of this thread.

9. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

Mission Impossible was/is one of the coolest tv shows to ever be on tv.

10. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

Yeah, that was a "gotta-watch" every week.

11. Brazen

Brazen Member

"The tape will self destruct in 5 seconds. Good luck Jim."

My favorite show back then.

12. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Yup - every Sunday night right after The Man fromUncle.

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I was a fan.
    Loved the themesong.
    The action was a little slow at times, but
    the completion of the mission was always cool.

Man from U.N.C.L.E. was my all time fave spy tv show
    as a kid.
    Napoleon and Ilya...and Mr. Waverly.

S.
    j